Overload - Spiritual Sequel to Descent, from the original developers

I noticed you already own the Community level pack krok ($5). Had a chance to try it yet?

Wait, it just occurred to me, @krayzkrok, did you get the community levels because you were a kickstarter backer of the game? I forgot that my kickstarter copy still hasn’t been delivered (Xbox). So the copy I’m playing now is directly from Steam.

Still going one room at a time in Titan Forge. It’s a really hard level. Sometimes I get hurt, and then keep going, but I don’t save anymore, since I got hurt. So I make lots of progress at low health, but I do inevitably die. I just don’t want to save the game with low health, you know? So I inevitably keep losing most of my progress on Titan Forge.

I got the level 2 key, and thanks to the map, I found the level 2 door again.

So, holy shit, going through that door there’s over a dozen of those robots that fire those seeking mines at you. So I tried running away, and the rooms all got filled with a million mines. I kept trying to stay on the move because I knew the moment I stopped, those mines would find me. Eventually I ran into a narrow room and the mines ALL followed me in. YIKES.

I’ve been finding a lot of Nova missiles, so I get it Revival Productions. You want me to use the big missiles for this room. Yeesh, I get it, I get it. Boy that was scary fun though. A good stopping point for tonight.

The Community pack is on sale! $4 instead of $5. I’m tempted. But I really should wait for my Kickstarter copy (Xbox) of the game to come in before I make the decision on which platform to get the game.

Btw, I had a few more runs at that room last night that’s filled with lava and autobots that fire hundreds of mines at me. Even with Devestators and Novas firing wildly, I can’t thin them down fast enough to not get swarmed by mines. The longest runs I’ve had is not where I used those missiles, but when I was just running, running, running from the mines. But eventually they always catch up.

Heh, it’s still in Titan Forge. It’s when you go through the level 2 door. You “exit” into a huge area with lava all around, filled with bots that fire mines at you. So the longer they live, the more mines accumulate. The area is big enough that a devestator or Nova only kills about 3 bots clustered together at a time.

Alright, so I played this a lot yesterday. I really attacked that large room over and over and over and finally got it. I ended up using all my devestators and Nova missiles though, which was a mistake.

This is precisely why I’m so stingy with my missiles. Because after that area is the final reactor room, and the reactor is just so freaking strong. All the robots generated in that room keep coming after me, so I have to divide my attention, keep killing the robot, take some potshots at the reactor, and 30 minutes later, maybe the reactor will go down this way?

Anyway, I finally just gave up, I can’t beat the reactor in this room.

I think if I go back to an older saved game before the giant room and try to finish it without using some of my main big missiles, then I’ll have more firepower going into the final reactor room, and it might be possible to finish then. If I could just have a devestator and nova combo that could take care of the autobots for just a few seconds, I could fire the concentrated fast firing gun at the reactor, which I can’t currently do.

Ok, cool. I do clear the exit route first, so I did find the cloak and used it. That’s how I was able to bring down the shield to the reactor. But after that it had been a nightmare just getting into that room. I’ll try to find the invulnerability in that area and the earlier area.

I found the invulnerability in that room before the reactor, and with it I was able to rush back and get the reactor to less than half. And then I just retreated back to the energy recharge station and concentrated on killing the autobots coming for me for the next few minutes, and then rushed in and dodged and kept hitting the reactor again, using the Armor/Health that I’d found. I killed the reactor and rushed towards the exit!

The exit had two of those suicide robots inside! Screeeeeeee! Oh no! But I managed to kill them and rush forward, and make it through the exit. I saw the cutscene of the place exploding around me, the camera showed the place blowing up behind me as I exited, and then it got stuck on that frame as the game crashed.

Sigh. I guess if I can do it once, I can do it again, and hopefully the game won’t crash next time.

Edit: Ok, second time was much easier. Phew. Onto Titan Collider! Titan Forge is finally down! It only took me (looks upthread) four months.

I love that Titan Collider starts you off in a difficult situation. Right away you start next to a huge circular multiple story room with multiple autobot generators manufacturing infinite enemies to come at you. When it usually happens at the end of a level, it feels exhausting, so it’s kind of different that they start you off this way.

This game is FANTASTIC! And it pushes all the nostalgia buttons for me from 90s Unreal engine games, especially the lighting. I don’t know what engine this game uses, but they did a great job with the look and feel.

I’m playing using a wired 360 controller on my PC, and it handles great.

I only have an hour with the game, but damn what a super first impression. So far this is my favorite holiday sale purchase I’ve made this year (I haven’t installed Battletech yet).

You’re a better man than I, Mr. 8man. That’s where I would have rage uninstalled.

-Tom

I am happy to see that at least one “reboot” or “spiritual sequel” didn’t end up like crap. It’s fairly rare.

Wait, what? No way this game is the Unity engine. That’s just crazy talk.

-Tom

Yeah, if this is Unity, it’s the only time I’ve seen Unity without any jank or issues. It just runs super smooth and is beautiful. I agree with Tom, that claim doesn’t feel true.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/448850/discussions/0/135511455869644661/

Alright, I take this back. It’s different, but man, what a pain in the ass to start off a level this way. Since I finished the last level having used up all my big missiles, I kind of start low on resources in this level, and being in a really intense situation right at the start is pretty darn hard. At least when it’s later in a level, this kind of thing happens when you’re better equipped.

I have not, since upgrade didn’t increase damage or anything, just range. So in retrospect, I guess range is a pretty big problem for the cyclone, so I should have upgraded after all.

I still have a save game from before the level, where I can still spend points, so I could upgrade the Cyclone at least once before going in.

Ah. Pretty sneaky hiding that behind a range update. :)

True, but because of the angle, I figured it wouldn’t be as useful at longer ranges, since the minigun bullets kind of disperse over distance.

I also have the problem of lack of upgrade points. I might have taken 4 months to finish Titan Forge, but I found almost no skill points in that level. I think I found maybe 3 skill points out of 9, and 2 super skill points of 5, something like that? Anyway, I clearly missed most of them in both cases, whatever the actual numbers were.

Yeah, but Titan Forge just lasted so long, I just wanted to get through it somehow, so by the end I wasn’t using the map at all.

I just did the Cyclone upgrade. The increased range is all I can afford. But it helps! A lot! The range is quite nice now.