Overload - Spiritual Sequel to Descent, from the original developers

The only reason why I don’t play this game in longer doses nowadays is that my CPU is back to making alarm noises if I play longer than 10 minutes. Stop it CPU! You’re scaring me. So I play for 10 minutes, it starts making the noise. And I play for 10 more minutes because I can’t stop. And then I start thinking about the money I’d have to spend on a new computer if this CPU blows up, and I stop.

Have you checked your cpu heatsink? If your setup is older it might just need a cleaning and or fresh thermal paste.

I reached Cygnusoria. No one look up which moon in the solar system that is. It’s a surprise. :)

My cpu was complaining too loudly by this point, so I’ll give it a break. Now I can see why you liked the story beats in this game krok. They actually lead somewhere other than “robots designed to kill stuff”.

A small update, because progress in the new area has been really hard. The new enemies are quite deadly, and usually the way I play, I try to completely clear a room, maybe even two or three or four rooms before I save the game again. So I end up dying a lot, or not saving because I survived, but with really low health.

It’s going to be tough to get through this part of the game.

Why did Overload suddenly get patched?

I looked for answers and found one on the Steam forums:

Changes in Overload 1.1 build 1886:

• Added support for connecting to a multiplayer game server via domain name/IP address.
  • Removed support for Revival’s game matching service, which has been discontinued.
  • Increased the maximum number of players per multiplayer match to 16.

So it sounds like it’s a way for multiplayer to continue even though there will be no more Revival servers and stuff.

That’s nice of them.

I had a recent revisit to Overload just before DOOM Eternal came out, when I was desperate for an arcadey shooter to play and get hyped while I waited. I played my Xbox One copy for a solid week or two and enjoyed it quite a bit… until I hit later maps where the Xbox One X started struggling to maintain healthy frame rates.

This thing is fantastic, though I’m sure I’ll never be very good at it. Still, it captures the feel of the earliest (and best) Descent games very well - that 6-axis sense of freedom and multi-directional threat, the tangled maze of corridors, the only thing missing is that “I’ve got to get the hell out of here” sense at the end of a mission. I don’t suppose any of the later maps (or perhaps one of the challenge modes?) tries for that?

Regardless, thanks @robc04, I’m really enjoying this!

The first post-tutorial mission didn’t seem to have that. I killed everything on the map and it extracted me, didn’t even have to go to the exit. Or is this a difficulty thing and I need to stop playing on Rookie like a candy-ass? :)

Gotcha, silly me making assumptions with inadequate data!

I made it through the first mission on Hotshot by the skin of my teeth. If there’s a meaningful increase in difficulty coming I expect Rookie may be where I need to be. We’ll see, maybe I’ll actually get better. I’ve been trying to remember whether I used to play Descent with a controller or M&KB. I think it was the former, but this feels better to me with the latter (in that I can’t hit the broad side of a barn when aiming with a controller). That may also be part of it.

Be sure to check out what this maniac is doing in the Doom: Eternal thread before taking his advice on satisfying difficulty. :P

No, it’s fine. I basically found that I could handle the same difficulty levels in Overload as I could in original Descent, although I got further in the latter. I’m a keyboard only player, using the number pad for sliding and aiming to get joystick-like circling on any axis with simultaneous key presses, and managing everything else with my left hand. I should look more into the mouse in Overload.

It’s about the nostalgia!

For me it was:
Descent - Mouse + Keyboard
Descent 2 - M+K
Descent 3 - Joystick + Keyboard
Overload - Controller

Oddly (?) on the second level Rookie actually was too easy, I never dropped below 150 armor. Not sure whether I got better of the first level is just trickier than the second. Either way, I guess I’ll bump it up to Hotshot for a bit at least until I start getting frustrated.