Oxygen: Alexandre Aja buries Shoshanna alive! How rude!

Very close! It’s based on the play by Jean-Paul Sartre on which the movie is based. It is the seminal huis clos.

The planet they are bound for is 15x the mass of Earth, yet Liz just ambles up to Leo at the end for a side hug. She’d need an exoskeleton if that scene were real.

Might want to spoiler tag that. There’s stuff in the article that I linked which I’d missed during my watch which also set my science alarm off, especially since it seemed such an unnecessary detail: The tidal lock, basically. One, that implies it’s very close to the star, with all the issues that entails, but also combining tidal locking with a breathable atmosphere implies some pretty crazy climate effects, definitely not conducive to human life.

I agree, the last part of the story was completely unnecessary. I really did not like the love story part.

I just watched this! I also liked it. I had a lot of theories about what was going on, but none of them were right. I did like what it ended up being, even if maybe it wasn’t totally original. I did think it was maybe a bit better than Buried (although the rats reminded me of the snake!)

Oh, one thing I didn’t get – if they’d been out there for 12 years, why were they only 40,000 miles from Earth? That’s, like, not even a quarter of the way to the moon!.

Just finished watching, and read through the discussion. Add me to the list of everyone who saw every twist coming, but in the end the movie gets a solid “it was alright, I guess”. Like just about any Hard SF story the science breaks down one you look at the numbers and details, but the mass of the planet might be theoretically compatible with normal surface gravity- it’s about density and diameter.

I wasn’t bothered by Liz yelling or otherwise getting emotional. These sort of stories rely on the protagonist remaining rational and focused in extraordinary circumstances, but we should accpet some level of anxiety.

Now I can’t wait for an opportunity to use this in a conversation and be all sophisticated and stuff.