Oxygen Not Included: Klei space colony sim

I mean, the game doesn’t include Oxygen! It’s right in the title!

Though in seriousness, this is my biggest fear myself. Though to be fair, without the constant threat of your colonists dying isn’t it kind of … easy?

The threat of losing is fine. But this isn’t a threat, it’s an unavoidable certainty. No matter how well I play I’m going to lose eventually. That sucks. It makes everything feel futile. :(

As I said, it’s not going to be like that forever. It is now, but that could change already in the next update, for all we know.

Well there are a lot of ways to make Oxygen, not only from algae, thats the easy one!

I think of it like Long Dark, i’m going to die eventually, but i can try my best so that day takes a lot of time to come.

My lavatories seem to always be one time use. Once they are used they forever say occupied and nobody else will go in

Well, fair. But as mentioned, it’s only just hit public alpha, with (knowing Klei) a lot more content coming.

On the road map, I see these two specific bullet points that may be of interest to you:

Improved base sustainability
More ways to create sustainable systems for resources such as water, fertilizer, dirt etc.

Plus a bunch of other amazing sounding things coming up, like buried artifacts. And of course bug fixes, tweaks, etc. I’m going to pick this up as soon as I can, just because since Don’t Starve these guys keep making games I at some point get super into (most recently I was consumed by Invisible, Inc!)

You have to clean them. Click on them and you should see that option.

There is no option when clicking them, and I thought you didn’t have to clean lavatories in the same way as outhouses, especially not after one use. Why would a lavatory require manual maintenance after one use and an outhouse only after 15 or so?

Do you have it hooked up to plumbing?

Sorry, you said lavatory and I thought you meant outhouses. My mistake.

Very much enjoying this, only played an hour or so, and was already running out of algae!

Picked this up and played it for a bit over 10 hours. Really liking it so far, it just needs more content and some bugs fixed. They are releasing hot fixes like mad and I really hope it gets the kind of support Don’t Starve did.

Strong Dwarf Fortress vibe to it. So many clever interface solutions to issues I ran into with DF that Don’t Starve solves elegantly, especially for how early it is.

yep, plumbing on it works fine. It’s usable once, and only once. So far all of mine have done this. One person uses it and it forever says occupied.

for the lavatory you need to make sure that its has supply water and an output for contaminated water. or else it wont function after the first use. same for the shower.
I got about 18 hours in and like day 77. my game looked like hell on earth, there was contaminated air everywhere, everyone was 100% stress vomiting, which was good because i was collecting it with the rest of the contaminated water to filter it to clean water to keep the 02 pumps working. Lots of juggling of diffrent systems.

People have come up with some hilarious self sustaining colonies, despite the technology to do so not really being in the game yet. All involve inflicting nightmarish scenarios on the the dupes.

yeah, I had input from a water source and output to a processor to clean contaminated water. Tried multiple times and all hookups looked right.

Good read!

Is algae a food? Do they simulate it sucking lots of O2 out of your chamber when it’s dark due to respiration? Oh wait, you’re in a tunnel so maybe it’s never dark. I have algae on the mind since we’re battling it in the bogs and pond since they just woke up from winter.

So, how far along it this? It looks really fun and interesting, and the trailer says release date of late 2016/early 2017 (obviously optimistic, but perhaps not unreasonably so). Is it worth checking out? Or should I wait until formal release? Is there a more reliable release date, or just “when it’s ready”?

I’m not sure how feature complete it is, but it’s playable although it appears to be no more than a sandbox at this point. There’s a pretty steep learning curve, so if you’re planning to get it at any point, may as well get it while it’s cheaper and start familiarizing yourself with the various systems, even if they will be changing.

I love the aesthetics and humor. If I were to describe it with a single word it would be “charming”.