Ozark - Netflix Original starring/directed by Jason Bateman

Gah I am so sick of money laundering. In real life and in tv shows. The Crown so much more alien to me. But If you guys tell me this is good then fine I’ll watch.

Very worth watching. The characters are unusual, interesting, well-played.

Watch it for Julia Garner (Ruth Langmore). God, she’s good.

💕 le sigh 💕

She is indeed good.

On the other hand, they had to go shoehorn in another character, the brother-in-law. Who I despise. If we weren’t so close to the end, I’d just quit now.

Stick with it. His relationship with big sister Laura Linney is well written, and acted. I suspect Linney will be up for an Emmy for her role.

Oh, I’m not criticizing his acting, he does it well. He’s just a despicable character even in a group of despicable characters. I actively want to see somebody shoot him.

I thought Tom Pelphrey (brother in law) stole the season. He did the same thing in Iron Fist for me. He played a character I should actively dislike (bully) and made him not only believable, but sympathetic.

Doesn’t sound like it worked for you though. Not sure where the hatred for him is coming from, he was as stated mentally ill so at least he had an excuse. The rest of them are just assholes.

For me it was like watching a slow motion train wreck. Well done, great performance, but almost impossible to enjoy except with a sense of dread and frustration.

What really didn’t work for me was the subplot with Darlene and Wyatt. The Wyatt we were sold early on is too smart for what we are seeing, and the Darlene we were sold early on is not really nurturing.

Admittedly only 2 episodes into Season 3, but I don’t think Darlene is being nurturing at all. She’s trying to replace Ash in her mind. Wyatt is a convenient tool for that. She’s playing him and she knows it. And I think he knows it too, but he’s desperate for food and shelter and he won’t swallow his pride enough to go home, so this is about his only choice that doesn’t get him arrested.

So yea, what a season. The cast is still excellent with an amazing performance by the actor who played the brother. Emmy worthy performance. Also the last scenes of the finale especially the last one…suuumm bitch shit just got real.

My wife came very close to literally falling off the couch on the last scene. She gave a little shriek even.

I still dislike Charlotte, but as somebody mentioned up thread, she makes up for a lot with her last line in the final episode. And yes, the BIL turns in a great performance. I still really really really wanted to be the one to kill him, though.

How cool was this. Binged all three series in the last month since I couldn’t go anywhere, hmm wonder why.

All the acting is fantastic even Charlotte.

Did they really imply that Buddy killed Jimmy Hoffa because that’s hilarious.

Somebody told me today this is now cancelled. I haven’t seen an article yet.

No it hasn’t. Ozark garners allot of critical acclaim, and awards consideration for them. This season reportedly was by far their biggest audience yet although many shows have gotten this with the lockdowns happening.

I really thought it would be stupid of them to cancel, I was just wondering if anyone else saw anything. It was just a passing comment, something like “oh, I saw that was cancelled the other day.” sort of thing.

You might have seen the “this show has neither been cancelled nor renewed” posts. Coronavirus adds a lot of uncertainty to when shows can actually start shooting, but this is probably a great time for writers to come up with a 2 year plan for scripts. There’s a lot of interviews with Ozark producers + Jason Bateman talking about Ozark having a plan for 5 season.

Finally got caught up on this, and while I like it more than, say Sons of Anarchy I have the same problem with it - everyone is a scumbag. There’s nobody likeable enough to root for.

I think you’re supposed start out rooting for the Byrdes, and grappling with the moral dilemma of doing that while they get worse and worse.

I get that. Maybe the problem is the show is trying too hard to be another Breaking Bad, which it isn’t.

One thing I do like about it is that the women have all the power, while the mena are just a bunch of shlubs.