Pacific Drive - Station Wagon Road Trip through the Apocalypse

Game is out

Anyone got it?

You know, we have a good eclectic mix of interesting games releasing this month:

Balatro, a video proker roguelike, with great reviews and word of mouth
Pacific Drive, a survival narrative game around a car??
Helldivers 2, for more normal shootery action
Last Epoch, for loot arpg addicts
FF7 Remake part 2, which is having better scores than the first part
Solium Infernum, turn based strategy with hellish theme, the original game was liked a lot in this forum
Sons of the Forest, a more traditional survival game, and with a big playerbase already, is also out (1.0) today.
Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance, a freaking RTS at this game, based on the Terminator IP?
Inkulinati, a TBS with medieval art illustrations

My first take is that i quite enjoy it. The atmosphere is really well done. The storms have weight and there’s this menacing air about the runs. Strangely enough, i also like fiddling around with the car - bolting on car bits, or removing them feels pretty tactile and satisfying. I also like the ‘fiddly bits’ - i like having to put the car in gear, having to turn on the engine, and filling up the gas. The voice acting is pretty good too, and i particularly like the gas station scientist, who has a bit of a glados hint to some of her lines.

The game’s not particularly well explained though, and 6 hours in and I’m only starting to get a handle on what’s happening in a run and why.

I’ll write more tomorrow, but in general, i enjoy it, but it’s got some aspects that will turn off a lot of people: The save system for example(i’ll test it again tomorrow, but i think it wouldn’t let me save/exit in the middle of a run) or the long push/short push thing.

The game is well done and run on my not-up-to-date computer.

I am not a huge fan of survival games or spooky games, but this one appears to be of the best in the genre.

Currently progressing through the upgrade tiers, to make my car has strong has possible to be able to cross the zones with minimal damage.

I hear a lot of buzz about the lack of save points, but I haven’t caught how long the runs or missions are. Any general idea so far? Also is there a full pause function?

Yes, hitting escape completely pauses the game (and iirc, i also saw an option in settings to minimize damage or something while you were in log screens)

Missions are as long as you want them to be. Here’s how it works, you start a ‘mission’ by selecting a place you want to drive. I’ve still a little fuzzy on all the things the scan reveals, but it’ll tell you some of the parameters of the zone you’re going to: what kind of resources there are, what kind of hazards, and how stable the area is. Stability is one of the things thats very important; an unstable zone collapses quickly, so the mission length wont be too long. I’m not sure i like this about the game - i tend to like to pick and meander through my areas carefully, and i dont really like being forced to move quickly that much.

So then you get to the zone and start doing your thing, exploring, picking up stuff, cataloging stuff (this is important for discovering new items as well as making your scans more helpful). And by itself, the zone will start to collapse (i think this is also mission dependent, the last mission i was on, the zone was pretty stable all the way till the end), and when it does you need to start looking for an exit. When you identify and map an exit, that’s when shit really goes south and its an all-or-nothing blast to get to your exit. Also, there are these anchor points - taking them gives you resources to spend on your research, allows you to warp back home, and also they cause the zone to collapse (they’re called stability anchors, so i guess that tracks). So basically, you enter a zone, start collecting stuff, and start planning your exit strategy - that part where you’ll need to grab at least one anchor, maybe more, and then start moving rapidly towards an exit. That whole process can be quick (like 10-15 minutes) or longish (the one i just did was an hour). There is no save option while you’re in a zone - you can either abandon, or you can hit escape and pause indefinitely, or you can leave the zone on your own accord. So if you really had to go, ya, you could close up any mission in about 5 minutes, maybe even less, depending on how close you were to an anchor point. If you had already gotten an anchor point, i think your mission would be over in less than 5 - i dont know how long the collapse lasts, or if it even varies (well, i guess it does, cause this last mission i took 3 anchor points, and it didn’t even start to collapse), but in most other zones i played, once i tapped the first anchor point, i probably only had about 3 minutes to get out(or grab other points).

Oh, and i also confirmed that leaving the car running, and/or leaving the lights on will drain gas/battery. I guess this thing doesn’t have an alternator…lol, reminds me of my old k-car.

Thanks for that fantastic explanation. This sounds different and interesting. I wish I tried the demo when it was available but seems to be gone now. But I think I need to give one a try regardless.

If you decide to extract early do you still take whatever you’ve gathered with you? So it still feels like some progress was made?

Oh ya, up to the moment you pass through the portal, you can collect anything you can find. One run i came to a screeching halt because i saw a truck that yields some fantastic resources and it was just a little bit out of my way over there…surely, i can get to it, stop, loot that truck and gtfo before this collapses, right?

And yes i did, and yes i did. Though i hit a bit of a snag with an uprooted tree that blocked my forward progress. Nothing quite like making a quick 3-point turn in a station wagon with the literal apocalypse 6 seconds behind you…

Cool. Post apocalyptic scavenging in the family truckster sounds right in my wheelhouse. I’m gonna check this one out for sure.

Picked it up, not far in yet but I was sold the moment closed the trunk door on my own head and took minor damage.

An important thing to know also - if you ‘die’ in a mission you respawn back at the garage where your last save point was but it’s NOT a reload of that exact save. You vehicle will be damaged per your doomed run and you will have to fix that damage. In addition all the loot you acquired during that run will be missing from the vehicle, BUT you can do car-corpse-runs. Go back to that same zone and you will have a tombstone marker on the map showing where you car ‘died’. If you visit that spot you will see your wreckage and you can recover all the loot you previously collected from the ‘corpse’. I think there might be a timer on how long that tombstone lasts but i’ve only died once so haven’t tested/researched that further.

That sounds relatively fair. I have my eye on this title, but I will probably let it mature a little before purchasing unless it comes up in a decent sale.

Is this one I could play with my steering wheel and pedals? Or is it more of a controller or keyboard/mouse affair?

I’m playing controller. I don’t think it’s got wheel support

I’ll also mention that i’m really digging the music. They just hit the right mood for the game i find, particularly:

So I finished the main story today. At 31 hours, I feel I’m done with it, though there’s certainly at least half a dozen more areas to explore.

What I liked:

I thought the audio through the whole game was remarkably well done. From the sounds in/around the car, to the environmental effects, to the soundtrack, to the voice acting, everything was well done and fit the game really well.

I also thought the car itself ‘felt’ very good. At the start it was sluggish and didn’t really inspire any great hope, but as I upgraded it, it really started to feel and play better. I loved how you could customize parts/areas and even pull the whole thing apart if you wanted to. At all points, whether you’re repairing a piece, pulling a piece off, or putting one on, it all felt very good, very tactile. Even the process of just checking everything before going out, then strapping yourself in, just felt ‘right’ and well done.

I though the environmental effects themselves were pretty well done. Much like the car, these things felt ‘weighty’ and right, whether it was a blustery storm, a, uh, meteoric storm, or the zone collapsing.

The “Vibe”. This really felt to me like it was a valve game in some regards. Part TF2 (graphics), part Half-life (story), it really wouldn’t have taken much to integrate this into one of their stories.

What I’m more neutral on:

Scanning zones on the map. I’m not really sure what the intent was here. Maybe i’m supposed to scan a zone to either avoid an anomaly or to seek out a resource? Whatever it was, it didn’t do anything for me. Anomalies weren’t ever dangerous enough for me to consider avoiding, and resources were generally so plentiful that I didn’t really need to search them out. That’s not to say I didnt’ have material shortages - i did - but more that I needed things like plasma, and rubber, and chemicals, and those things are available everywhere anyways. This could have been changed by making resources less plentiful everywhere, and more plentiful in one specific place. For instance, if chemicals could only be found in ‘lab’ areas, and i had to scan around to find these lab areas, then that would be a lot more useful. As it was, whenever I needed ‘x’, i just kept a lookout for the things it was produced in and just stopped and got it then. The only time I was ever really impacted by not having a material was when i was going through a lot of rubber right when i needed even more (for new tires). Of course, a little bit after this, i discovered you can just scrap tires on any vehicle and get all the rubber you likely ever need.

The looting. Press E for this, hold E for that. Whoops, did you right click? You probably just threw away the thing that was in your hands. Oh, and it blew away in the wind! Do you want this computer? Nope, you got to shred it first. These light bulbs need a vacuum cleaner. This thing needs a hammer. ugh. I did like how the items were well associated with the loot container (ie toolboxes tend to have scrap metal, duct tape etc. Lockers and backpacks mostly have clothes and plastics). I think, in general, i would have like more things to loot, and less overall loot.

What I didn’t like:

The Points of Interest (POIs). Oh wow, but these suck. It starts off pretty great, though. At the beginning you’re looting ARDA trailers, garages, and small cabins and it all feels really good. And…it never really goes anywhere from there. You’ll find a tower that almost always has the same things in it. You’ll find another tower, this one you cant get into, and it’ll have some slightly different stuff around it. You’ll find a few other small cabins, some of which you can enter and some which are closed off. And probably the coolest thing is the gas station, which while not always ‘the same’ is too often so similar to each other they might as well be the same. At some point, you’ll realize all of these are pretty much garbage, and (excepting for chemicals from the arda trailer wire cage) you have all of the items you’ll ever need from all of them and instead you’ll spend your time hoping to find the ARDA trucks, the cop cars, and the box trucks, all three of which provide so much more important and interesting loot (and dont forget to grind the armored doors/panels and whatever tires they have).

The one way mission design. I’ll admit, an unexpected zone closure (complete with the chillingly awesome alarm klaxon) is perhaps the funnest part of the game. Throwing everything into the car, hoping in, slamming it into gear and hightailing it to the exit, is perhaps where the game shines. Except…i think it would have been better if that wasn’t the norm. I think it would have been a better experience if you had to plan out a route (including some sort of return trip) - and that includes perhaps having the way you just came cut off from you. The first couple of closures were exciting. After that, it was a planned exercise, and apart from a couple of times where it was unplanned, it was never as exciting after that. So take that away - now you have to plan to survive to drive back to the garage. And take out the ability to make things in your car (which i rarely did anyways). Now, the player needs to plan a round trip, and cant make things on the fly. Now its more about surviving and planning. And now, throw in an ‘AI’ director that looks for the player to be in a bad way - a blown tire, a compromised structure - and force the player to suddenly change up their strategy by either collapsing the zone or by cutting off some of the exit points - and i think you have a better formula for the game.

The enemies that aren’t there: Ya, i’m going to double spoiler tag this. Ok, here’s one of the biggest problems of the game: there’s nothing really hostile out there. Once you key onto that, the game loses a lot of its…kutzpah? I dunno, whatever. It’s all smoke and mirrors, and there’s nothing behind the curtain. But…there should be. I like that the player can’t really defend themselves - absolutely keep that in. But rarely…put something that’s actually hostile to the player out there in the zone. Alien? Monster? C’thulu? I dunno, but there really should be something out there. Have it watch the player sometimes maybe. And as you get further in the zone, have it react more defensively…ya, i like that.

The enemies that are there: ugh, but the aggressors, and the bubble things and everything else are just…annoying. And thats the problem…they’re just annoying and your only recourse is to, well, let them do what they want, they’ll be over it in 30s or so. I mean, you drive by an aggressor at 80mph, and he suddenly turns, catches up with you, and pulls you over to the side of the road. That’s it, then he lets go. It’s like the manifestation of the highway towing guys.

And what i hated:

The ending. What the actual fuck. You take your car through a portal and suddenly, you’re out of your car, and you basically press w to walk through a long corridor lined on both sides by tvs, meanwhile the voice actors get to work and…you press w for about 7 minutes listening to exposition. Then you just back in your car, drive straight for a minute and into a portal, and…that’s it. I don’t even know what i was supposed to get out of it other than apparently the dead people aren’t dead. I dunno. If you finished, please help me understand. And that’s all, for now, lol

So, final assessment: an enjoyable game with outstanding audio. One that probably fulfills its designers objectives, but for me ends up falling short of something that may have been truly great.

I still love the concept of this game, and I’m trying to decide whether I should jump in soon or wait for a few patches. Do you feel the game needs some bug-fixing or QoL improvements, or is it a solid ready-to-enjoy 1.0 release? Is the lack of save anywhere a major pain?

(Apologies if you covered this in your review post above – I don’t want to spoil myself too much!)

I’ve been playing since release and haven’t seen any bugs. The save thing surprised me, but you only spend 5-20 minutes in sections where you can’t save before you hit the next section and autosave, so it’s not that bad.

I’ve run into a few bugs, but nothing serious and nothing that wasnt resolved on next reload. As for QoL, I also think its pretty clean - the storage/crafting system works very well and nothing really comes to mind thats in need of immediate improvement.

As for lack of save point, the devs actually had a major update yesterday on that, and have implemented autosave for every junction. So at worst, if you had to bail on it, you’d lose no more than half hour (as they mentioned in the post, its rather rare for a zone to stay up for that long).

The only potential bug I’ve encountered is that I cannot interact with the paint/decal storage shelf. Unless this happens further along and I’m just assuming I should just be able to use it now. I already had the mission for the detailing machine which didn’t want to complete but somehow finally shows completed, but I still have paint and decals so I’m just storing them in the regular lockers. Not a show stopper, and I’ve started a new playthrough to see if I get the same result.

Otherwise this game is super fun so far.

Ya, to put them in the detail machine, just put the decal in hand, face the machine and push R. It’s a little weird, but similar to how to store messages/notes in the fax machine.

There is a bug in the detail machine(and i believe also in the upgrade machine, but i’ve seen it worse in the detail machine), now that you mention it, where either 1) you click down on something and then cant escape out of it (to bypass this, just select another item in the row on the top, then you’ll be able to esc normally) or 2) it says somethings installed, even though you removed it (just esc and reenter the machine and it should be clear).

I’ve also had some weird progression-type bugs, but they were all minor and corrected as soon as i fulfilled the item. For instance, one wanted me to put a shield in the trunk even though i already installed it (i took it off, and put it in the trunk, then reinstalled it). I also had to look up some base upgrades because they weren’t showing where to install them (if it doesn’t show up in the base, chances are you have to install it in the car itself)