Pacific Rim (2013)

Oooh and you could run your fingers over the tube after it shut off and make little ghost trails.

And get staticky fingers too.

Oh and smacking the side of it could actually fix it if it was acting up.

Percussive maintenance!

This. He’s always watched cable.

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android simulates that when you press the button to make it sleep. When I first saw it I thought it was so cool I showed my wife immediately.

She didn’t care, btw.

When I upgraded to 4.0 I saw this for the first time and instantly thought “Oh, cool!” and then thought about it a little more and thought “Dang, I’m old.”

Movie looks interesting because well, well-made CGI destruction is interesting. Teaser too long*, too full of cuts** and static and meaningless clips. Could’ve accomplished same/more with one actual glimpse of something and about 1/3rd the fluff.

• I measure this purely by whether I’ll pass it on to other potentially interested parties or not. In this case, not.

** The older I get, the less acceptable these half-second cuts are.

Those giant robot designs are a bit disappointing. They look like an futuristic armored soldier, magnified in size. Basically a giant person.

Why not something from the animal world? How cool would it be to see a giant rhino robot piloted by a couple of humans ramming the crap out of the giant monster?

Mine is shot traps. Giant robots designs always have a dozen or more weak points, and something like a Bolo would be a far superior design. If the movie world allows for anti-gravity technology, the best design would probably be something like a floating armored dodecahedron with a few turrets protected by heavy mantlets.

Yes, yes, but on the other hand, GIANT MONSTER-PUNCHING ROBOT!

Mecha are horrible ideas with even the more cursory evaluation, but this genre isn’t one that stands up to any scrutiny whatsoever, so I just go with it.

The simple answer is because Japanese people love Ultraman, and it’s besides, it’s easier to build a foam rubber suit that looks more or less like a person. You don’t get crazy designs until the later season, and they’re usually the bad guys anyways.

Supertanker Quote:

Mine is shot traps. Giant robots designs always have a dozen or more weak points, and something like a Bolo would be a far superior design. If the movie world allows for anti-gravity technology, the best design would probably be something like a floating armored dodecahedron with a few turrets protected by heavy mantlets.

Because almost all the most famous hero units in the genre are giant man shaped robots.

Mazinger, Grendizer, Voltron, Getter Robo, Tetsujin 28, Giant Robo, Combattler V and Voltes V, or the more “gritty” series where mechs are mostly mass produced units like tanks (Macross, Gundam, etc), it’s still mostly giant man shaped robots.

Even the ones that feature vehicles or animal mechs tend to combine or transform into giant man shaped robots.

Del Toro is making an homage to a genre with well established aesthetics and tropes, not a hard sci-fi movie about efficient and plausibly engineered theoretical future war machines.

I see. I thought this was more like Cloverfield, where he takes the idea of a giant monster wreaking havoc on a city and puts his own spin on it.

If they’re really going to be wearing rubber suits(as opposed to using CGI) and destroying miniature cities, that could be pretty hilarious to watch.

Nice that they managed to squeeze GLaDOS in there

Right.

Rocket Punch!

I love this trailer. I’m going to have dreams of Idris Elba giving heroic speeches while piloting a giant robot and fighting giant monsters… and they will be glorious. I really hope this movie is good. I’ve wanted to make or play an updated version of Crush Crumble and Chomp or the Movie Monster Game and if this does well someone might make that game.

I’m going to go very old school and give you three magic words: Mail Order Monsters. I so loved that game…

And yeah, the trailer looks good.

I loved that game as well! Can’t beat a giant crab with a laser gun arm!

You may want to look at this kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin

Also whatever happened to They Came from Hollywood?