Pacific Rim Uprising - Finn and kaiju

I agree with Jorn. It doesn’t need to be good. It just needs to be competent, and they need good marketing, including trailers like that. Smells like a worldwide hit just from that trailer.

Wait what? This movie doesn’t need to be good? Where am I?

It looks like they changed the direction significantly from the first one. Super-serious all-adult end of the world dark fest to a rap track and Ender’s Game story beats, and it looks like a little more humor.

Call me intrigued but doubtful.

The last thing I’d call the first movie was 'super-serious" and “adult”

Oh yeah, it was dark, but it wasn’t serious.

Yeah I was talking to some friends about this over lunch and decided to change super-serious and adult with “grimdark” which I believe fits it better. It’s all about that almost-dystopia we’re all going to die when the wall breaks Attack on Titan shit, ok?

This looks like a Marvel movie by comparison. Let’s go round 'em up boys, hoo-ah!

Yeah, it’s apocalyptic-dark, but also cartoonish. Not gritty serious.

Well they have a Chinese actress in it (no idea who but I assume someone famous in China) so I’m sure it will do fine worldwide.

I grew up watching Godzilla movies, used to beg my dad to take me to Saturday matinees at a downtown theater that was was an old performance hall (still had the stage, the chandeliers overhead, the ruffled walls) converted, but this is still the best thing about that first movie. And it looks like the sequel is stupidly dropping it.

Do we know that for sure? Sue, the trailer has mostly stupid music, but hints at the original soundtrack happen in the trailer’s opening moments, so I’m hopeful the soundtrack will be in the same vein.

Everything I’ve seen and heard of the new movie does not instill me with confidence. Got a feeling the quality will be on Transformers level.

Since GDT isn’t as directly involved, my expectations have indeed been lowered, but I’m still gonna see it.

Seeing this tonight! After all the waiting, and the cancelled releases, and the changed release dates, I kind of can’t believe this is actually coming out!

The first movie was also a guilty pleasure for me: I saw the first half-second of the trailer, and said to myself, “Okay, I need to never watch another trailer for this movie, and I need to see it on opening day with my son!” We drove 1.5 hours to the nearest full-sized IMAX screen, and he didn’t even know the name of the movie until I bought the tickets. All in all, it was a great experience going in almost completely blind to what was going to happen. It was everything I was hoping for.

If the second movie is half as good, I’ll be happy. But I hope it’s better than that!

Your feeling was correct. I saw it tonight and as a huge fan of the original I was deeply disappointed.

Lucky, I won’t be able to see it for a week or so. Please let us know how you liked it.

Well poops…

HOO-AH!

Edit: I’m disappointed by this preliminary news of disappointment, but that trailer makes it look awful. So I’m not surprised. I would rather be surprised though, and see a good movie. :/

Hopefully you’ll disagree with me and love it!

My quick thoughts: Compared to the first one, it took entirely too long to get going. There were a few enjoyable surprises, but it really seemed like a generic giant-robot movie. I saw a review by BlackNerd on YouTube where he said it seemed like a Power Rangers movie, and that’s not far from the truth.

This was probably the worst movie I’ve seen in a cinema for at least a decade. What in the world were they thinking of with the whole first half?

Last year had the 5th Transformers movie and the Last Jedi. I expect Uprising to be the Citizen Kane of cinema by way of comparison, but it probably is a terrible movie. Leaving in about 30 minutes to take the boy. He collected all the action figures from the first, used to sit in his bedroom and play for hours with them. I had more than a few bruised knuckles from getting whichever one he was holding at the time slammed into my hand that holding his current enemy.