Pair Convicted of Felony Spamming

Washington Post Article

The jury recommended that Jaynes spend nine years in prison and that DeGroot pay $7,500 in fines for violating Virginia’s anti-spam law.

I don’t like spam. And I think spammers ought to be thrown in jail. But nine years seems to be a tad excessive.

Well it was the spam and the scams…

Let’s see … If we assume that it only takes ten seconds to determine one of their emails is spam and delete it, then 9 years makes sense if we take those ten seconds back from them consecutively for 28,382,400 spam emails.

Being that they send out millions of such emails every day, it’s not so unrealistic a punishment after all. ;)

I don’t think it’s excessive at all.

You have to realize that spam operators cost ISPs a LOT of money, by flooding their networks with useless garbage and slowing everything down.

Furthermore, realize that we hate them and wish they would die. In that light, 9 years seems positively charitable!

Agreed, plus it takes stiff penalties to deter other spammers.

Agreed, plus it takes stiff penalties to deter other spammers.[/quote]

You do know that the severity of punishment has almost no deterrence power, right? Rather, its the consistency of punishment (ie how likely you are to get caught) that makes a difference.

We’ve had this discussion before. :wink:

Yup. And apparently it didn’t sink in. Congratulations! You’re a member of the GOP!

Yup I’m for making a couple of people examples in order to cut down on the spam. Maybe grabbing a couple of those Nigereans and giving them three years of enemy combatant treatment in Guantanamo would cut down on the international spam too.