Paladins - It's also totally not Overwatch

New character released earlier this week, Lex. He has dual, slow shooting pistols and a cool slide. His ultimate is a final execute shot that instantly kills anyone under 65% hp. I actually quite like him, I think he is one of their best releases yet.

Ehh I think he is a bit bland design-wise, though he is fun with the slide (and a OP damage). The bounty mechanic is original at lest.

He is bland… But I reeally enjoy him regardless. He’s got lots of options and ways to play from a very simple skillset.

8 million players. Not bad.

New Support, Seris

LMB: Blast damage projectiles that goes trough enemies
RMB: Channeled healing, ability does go trough walls and has infinite range once you lock on the ally
Q: Her LMB stacks on enemies, by activating this ability Seris gets healed and enemies suffer 100 damage/stack
F: You become invisible and immune to damage for it's duration
Ultimate: Seris throws down a projectile that pulls every enemy champion near the center of the ultimate.

Legendary cards

Agony: Rend Soul now applies a 1s stun to the victim when they are afflicted with 4 soul charges
Mortal Reach: Increase the range of Restore Soul by 300% and duration by 1s
Soul Collector: Soul Charges you detonate increase your Maximum Health by 2% per charge. Stacks up to 8 times. Stacks clear on death.

Sony just tweeted out that this now out as free to play on the PS4.

They have released today a trailer

Also new hero and new map

In Reddit there is a post done by COO Todd Harris, commenting what they have done and what’s coming:

[QUOTE]Over the next few months you will see:

Mastery System / Mastery Rewards of various types

Ranked 2.0, based more on Account vs Champion. We've heard your feedback and agree that the current Ranked Mode needs to be improved.

Quality of Life / bug fixes. We realize things like Androxus' Reversal bug and Fernando Shield bug are rage inducing. We addressed a few in .50 and will continue to pay attention to these gameplay & polish items

New Champs. We are excited about the next set of new Champions and will continue to release 2 champs every 3 patches until we get to a total of 30 Champions around August. We feel that a large champion roster, combined with upcoming ability to Ban in draft picking, is healthy for our competitive game. After 30 Champs we slow down just a little; but for us slowing down still means a new Champion approximately once a month from August until the end of 2017.

At least one new PvP Game Mode for your testing & feedback

Getting updates out more quickly to both the Xbox One and PS4!
This is dependent on platform providers and their certification timelines. But our goal is to get down to only ONE WEEK between PC updates and that same update going live on XBox One and Playstation 4.

LORE! 'Cause Lore

Legendaries. Some of them aren't great and need help.

Big Esports Investment and Announcements.
The upcoming July Dreamhack Valencia event (100K PC, 50K Console Wars) is just the beginning. We've been pleased to see a global appetite to play competitive Paladins and we will be supporting that in a huge way. More details to be announced during the Dreamhack Valencia esports broadcast.

Re-introduction of new PvE/Co-op mode; but this will be after all the above

[/QUOTE]

Hated this game originally because of the above. On a whim, tried it out again today and now it is first person! This is now fun, and satisfies that Overwatch itch after that free weekend they had a while back.

Can I just say that I am super tired of hi-rez studios fascination with s00per hawt large breasted women? Jesus. They did this same exact crap with Smite and now it’s carrying over to their new game, too. They need to like, ditch their entire art staff, or… hire some women, or… something. God. Here’s the patch notes you guys, check out those giant heaving patch notes.

Also a new skin! Just a new skin for a hero, you guys. This was the hero that got voted into a new skin.

Compare with, say, Fortnite which has attractive women (in all sizes, even!) that somehow aren’t pimped out to the nth degree. Or Gigantic which is beautiful without one iota of leering.

1 year STEAM anniversary event!

https://www.paladins.com/celebrate-paladins-1-year-steam-anniversary-this-weekend/

Seems loot crates and skill cards similar to Battlefield 2 were introduced into Paladins.

This is what has happened in response:

So…I really dug the cross play/ cross platform account thing in Paragon. It was really cool to be able to play on Ps4 at the couch or at my desktop depending on my mood. I also enjoyed that I could play with my PC and console friends in the same game.

As a Switch fan, I am looking at Paladins. I have some questions though if anyone can help.

1. If I buy the $30 all hero forever pack, does it apply to both Switch and PC? If I am grinding whatever game resource on either platform, does it apply? Basically is it one account shared between systems?

2. How did the PtW grinding thing mentioned up thread play out? Star Wars Battlefront II left me with a really bad taste in my mouth about this stuff. I won’t drop cash nor grind a billion hours just to not be someone’s fodder. Age and me playing a shooter with a gamepad is as much of a cheat code as I am willing to give my opponents.

3. Overwatch sort of bounced off of me. It was always so fast paced. Should I just avoid Paladins?

4. Anyone play it on the Switch? How is it?

Side note, I was looking at Fortnite for similar cross platform interests, but since Sony (maaaybe Epic) are being punks about walling in their console generation win, I guess I’ll pass.

Yes, it was reverted back two patches later.

Yes? I would say it’s a bit faster paced that Overwatch, which is on the slow side of things. edit: in any case, it’s free, so just try it out.

Overwatch and Paladins have the same pace. If you didn’t like overwatch, you probably won’t like paladins. it’s even a little more frantic imo.

Yeah, I just don’t know if my middle age reflexes are up for that kind of competition anymore. I admit that the fact you have some customization over your character sort of like a MOBA is more interesting over Overwatch.

The real bummer that I don’t know I could get over is that everything I am reading points to the idea that a Switch player is isolated in all ways from other platforms other than player population for matches. This means purchases or progression on my Switch at the TV or at bedtime would not link up with my PC game time. If this is true, it would be very disappointing and sort of defeats the point of playing it on Switch. Maybe Paragon was just really unique in that feature.

I found Paladins to have a higher TTK compared to Overwatch, at least that’s my recollection. Overwatch was too twitchy/gibby for me, but I was able to play Paladins and have fun.

Definitely not the pace of Paragon, though. RIP.

I consider this a good thing. I can’t imagine playing a twitch-reflex game like Paladins/Fortnite/Realms on a console against PC players. You’d get mauled. My son plays Fortnite on the Switch vs. the PC just for the novelty of playing on a big screen and controller, and he actually does better there. But I’m pretty sure that’s because he’s up against Switch players, not PC masterrace folks.

EDIT: Which I also meant to say - console play might make it less frenetic. Watching him play Fortnite was much “slower” than PC play which is just bunny-hopping Eiffel-tower crazyness.

How does it work? Can you select if you want to play against only Switch players, and there is a setting to enable to play against anyone?