Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

Doesn’t that chart literally just list the free content?

Oooh, shoreline increase landvalue. That’s a good change. It was kind of weird where you never ended up with a skyscrapers near the shore like real cities since it was harder to get overlapping land value boosts.

But what about shorelines coated with poo water? :)

That’s what I mean though. The headline feature - day & night cycle - is free along with all that other stuff. AFAIK, the only stuff you’re paying for in the DLC are these:

Leisure specialization: Commercial areas can specialize in leisure activities. Leisure areas are especially active during the night, but work like regular commercial areas during the day.

Beach specialization: Commercial areas such as beach bars and restaurants, small marina and fishing tours on the shoreline can specialize in beach activities.

Expanded City Services: Criminals will now be taken to Prison from Police buildings. Taxi service will help citizens and tourists travel around the city. Cargo hubs are harbors that accept cargo trains straight to the terminal. International airport is a huge airport, allowing much more traffic than the previous airport. It has a metro station attached to it. Bus terminal allows citizens to transfer to other bus lines in the terminal building.

New transportation options: Bikes and dedicated bike lanes and bike ways let citizens opt for a faster alternative to walking. Bus lanes can be used to help the public transportation run smoother.

I’m pretty sure most people don’t care as much about that stuff as the free stuff.

Just name it Rio de Janeiro.

Hey, watch what you say about Rio. I’m Brazilian!

And that’s mostly true. :)

Yesterday we talked about the content update coming to all players. Free stuff is good and all - but what do you actually get when you buy After Dark?

First and foremost; you make it possible for us to continue developing Cities: Skylines.

Beyond that…

• Several new landmark buildings
  • Prison & attached functionality
  • International airport
  • New large cargo hub
  • Massive bus station
  • Taxis, taxi stand & depot
  • Bikes and bike paths
  • Roads with bike and bus lanes
  • Leisure specialization + buildings
  • Tourism specialization + buildings
  • New beautification (parks and other ploppables)
  • New props, vehicles, citizens and more!

Only 9 days left! Are you as excited as we are?

Bikes and bike paths? Nice! Can’t wait to play this.

I’m totally buying this to support them despite having no time to play and not really the stamina to play either.

After Dark Pre-Release game play:

This video was a pretty quick rundown of all the new stuff in After Dark:

I am pretty excited for this, the 70 new buildings and the night features are great free additions. I decided to play one final game before the patch/free dlc/paid expansion. I built a scenic bouncy castle on one of the many quality user made maps. The default maps that shipped with the game should never be used!

Interestingly, there’s no facility for pre-ordering After Dark on Steam, or even a product page. You can only get it through Paradox’s website.

Steam never does ‘DLC’ early, expansions maybe. DLC, nope.

It’s supposed to release around 1500 CET tomorrow (9 AM EST). I really want to play some tonight, but considering I’ll probably have to start from scratch tomorrow…

Like Knightsaber said. The reason being Steam actually suggests this behavior, generally due to a desire to push sales (which will then all happen at once on release) to force the title up higher and higher on the Top Seller list. Gives the game more attention and more momentum that way. DLC that you can pre-order tends to get purchased in trickles and then most of the dire hard fans that want to play it day one already have it, so it doesn’t “sell” well on release date.

I posted in the bargain thread, its up for pre-order on a UK site for like $10.50. :)

Can’t wait for release! :D

Different colored lights for the types of roads was a great idea!

That looks… really cool =)

This, from the PC Gamer review is why I don’t have any more interest: It’s definitely a challenge to build a genuinely efficient city, but even the sloppiest and most poorly-planned of my creations always seem to grow and thrive no matter what.

Cities Skylines has always been more of a city-builder and less of a strategy game, though. What kind of city can you build? How will you sculpt and shape it? What will it naturally evolve into while you try to meet the cities needs?

That said, I agree with Rob all the same - I kind of need a more driving challenge to compel me to play for lengthy periods of times. Otherwise 3 hours into my first city I’ll kind of get bored and move on. Still, it’s been awhile since I fired it up, and I’m curious about the changes, so while I may not get the expansion I will definitely check things out and if I get into it, pick the xp up over the weekend.

I’d love to hear folks thoughts on the game+update+expansion as the day wears on and I’m stuck at the office! :)

EDIT - Also I believe there is quite an array of mods aimed at making the game more challenging…