Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

Crime is still lackluster in this game, I need to get some kind of drug cartel going or something, I built this fancy prison and its not even a quarter full.

I like the way my solar panels look in the afternoon :D

The people across the street are probably not pleased.

But they have renewable energy!!! They should stop whining and thank me.

The people across the street have been bbq’d…

Also why do dirt roads not have lights? I mean like one every say 30 squares would be nice. :|

Having grown up on a dirt road, I can attest to the accuracy here. ;)

Ha, we used to dream about growing up on a dirt road.

We were forced to crawl on our stomachs over crushed glass while licking a cheese grater. To have had dirt roads would have been wonderful.

were both side of the cheese grater uphill?

In the snow.

I remember when as a kid I lived on the highway and had to walk a ways to catch my bus. Once in the winter while walking I saw the snow plow coming my way. Now due to the nature of what a snow plow does I couldn’t remain where I was and since it was early morning it was dark and there was no way the driver would see me in time. At this point the only choice I had was to jump in the ditch and then get buried in snow then proceed to dig myself out and continue on to catch my bus.

No cheese graters though so I had that going for me.

University across from a park, with some off campus housing and highway access. :)

The highest habitable point in the city clearly belongs to the rich:

Looking good, Fishbreath!

Here is my city after about 10 hours of play so far, population is just over 35k spread over 4 zone tiles.

I really hope the dev’s work on more bridge types. :)

I like it, especially the building around rivers. Reminds me of my hometown.

I’m up to a population of 40,000 across five or six map tiles, although I have the unlock-all-25 mod and all 25 now unlocked for building.

Sunset:

Foreground: the Docklands, source of all of the city’s manufactured goods, between the industry and the three cargo ports. Central Bay, the neighborhood in the central valley ringed by highways, is now three districts for traffic control reasons: Central Bay, to the left side of the image, Port Town, at the deepest part of the bay, and Morningside, which runs along the right side of the valley up toward the Docklands. Port Town is an old section of the city, had a bunch of tiny roads, and connected the Strip (in front of the mountains on the left) to everything in Central Bay. I turned Port Town into an Old Town, to limit traffic to public transit, business and utility traffic, and local residential cars. To handle the increased volume through Central Bay and Morningside, I built a pair of roundabouts. One, in the middle of Central Bay, keeps the traffic from the Central Bay highway exit flowing against industrial traffic flows the other way to get to the highway. The other, at the main intersection between Central Bay and Morningside, handles the jam-up caused by the traffic going north and south between the two districts, and east and west between the Docklands and these residential areas.

In the background, you can see the two long highway bridges running to the ring island, where I’m eventually going to build up some serious tourist/rich low-density residential areas. Behind the camera, highway bridges cross the lagoon to International Park, situated on the only island on the map flat enough for airports. (Not even international airports—not flat enough for that). I have a pair of regular airports substituting, and will be turning that area into a leisure/office development. Besides the highway, it’s also linked by rail to the rest of my passenger rail system, with stops in the Docklands, Central Bay, and West Haven.

The whole city now:

Now your game can be updated with the latest current trends and social changes!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542993172

…just click the link.

Skylines is now 50% bigger! Well, okay… Not so much. But the latest patch does increase a bunch of engine limits and improves optimization.

Patch notes for 1.2.2-f2
•Zone limit increased 50%
•Building limit increased 50%
•Road segment limit increased 12,5%
•Fixed some issues when loading saves with missing assets.
•Commercial specializations exposed in the Asset Editor for DLC owners
•Fixed an issue where pre-DLC vehicles would fail to load in the Asset Editor
•AfterDark badge added on top of assets thumbnails in the Template selector of the asset editor which uses AfterDark only features
•Content Manager also disable the asset using DLC feature which wont work in the base game and offer a link to the DLC store page
•Fixed Tropical and European cliff textures showing disgusting lines
•After Dark expansion: Text: UI: The mouse over text of the Specializations income is incorrect.
•After Dark expansion: LOC: RUS: Asset Editor: The “Day/Night Control” text is cut off.
•After Dark expansion: Text: Menu: Incorrect mouse over tooltip text for Prisoners and Cyclists in the City Statistics menu.
•Fixed tree lod shadow clipping with tall trees
•Fixed bikes coming out of the plane at airports
•Updated the storage method for Paradox account credentials
•Fixed the day/night control slider label position in Map and Asset editor

So what’s the verdict on this? I know that I’ve seen folks point out that the economic engine is fairly simplistic under the hood and whatnot…but I’ve finally got a few weeks where work isn’t kicking my butt and this title’s always intrigued me (and the nighttime expansion, natch). If I can catch it on a Steam sale, pull the trigger? Do mods help alleviate some of the concerns?

I think it’s definitely worth a buy on sale, and probably worth a buy at full price. A lot of the difficulty comes from difficult terrain and traffic concerns—the economy still isn’t very hard, unless you go with an island map and avoid road or rail connections.

There are some mods that seriously jack up the difficulty of traffic: the game will delete agents on the road if they take too long to get to their destinations, dispatching a new one, which helps to potential giant traffic jams. There are mods to turn that off.

As far as I know, there aren’t any mods that seriously change the economic model.