Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

I’d say if you get enjoyment from laying out your city for aesthetic reasons instead of looking for a challenge it is worth it on sale. Or if you looking for a decent experience building up one city, but are fine shelving it after that. I just have no desire going back to it after enjoying some initial time with it. It gets the basics right, but isn’t particularly deep. I still haven’t tried more difficult terrain, so maybe that would make it better - I don’t know.

I haven’t tried any mods.

Disappointing. The latest Simcity really got me to go back over and over and over again despite the horrible issues it had.

Sounds awesome. Definitely will pick it up.

I find the strong focus on traffic to be a bit of a turn off personally. I’m in the same boat as robc04, haven’t really gone back after spending a decent bit of time with it initially.

It’s a pretty amazing game, in its own way. It may not have the depth in anything other than traffic simulation to offer a long-term challenge to the player, but it is definitely worth picking up and you’ll most likely enjoy the first 10-20 hours with it. What they were able to accomplish given the small team was impressive.

It’s probably best to play with infinite money mod turned on. The base game that gets you to slowly advance through the levels of development doesn’t really interact well with the open-ended, benign design that is far more model-train than catastrophe from mismanagement, and long term highway planning is something of a pain for a growing city. You sort of have to be willing to write your own story, or at least come to the game with certain design goals in mind. It’s fun to watch the little people, and fun to make a nice city. It’s just not about the challenge of doing so, more about the time you’re willing to invest.

This means that of course it’s not really a game I much play. I kind of have to force myself to play it. At some point in my life i’ll be ready to be the city planner/civil engineer I’ve always wanted to, … well, I’ve never really wanted to be a city planner, but I can imagine the version of myself wanting to be one!

Paradox Announces Cities: Skylines Snowfall

In Snowfall, the difficulty heats up when the city cools down, thanks to a new in-game temperature reading that will have residents bundling up for warmth when the weather outside is frightful. Cosmetic weather, composed of rain and fog, will be added to Cities: Skylines as part of a free update, along with other features to be announced soon. Players who own Snowfall will get to face new challenges such as ensuring that their city infrastructure can handle seasonal heating demands – and, when the snow starts falling, that the roads can stay clear. New snowplow services will be required to prevent traffic from freezing in place, while new all-weather trams and expanded public transit options can help residents and visitors alike get around town – and visit the new winter parks and landmarks available in Snowfall.

Snowfall will include:

Now is the Winter of This Content: Rain and fog for existing maps, plus a new “Winter” map theme with snow and all of its challenges
The Streetcars You Desire: Expanded public transportation options, including easier management of existing lines – and Trams, a new system demanded by fans
World Warmth, Too: Cold weather increases demands for electricity, unless new water-based heat systems are in place
Plowers to the People: Build a snowplow depot to keep traffic flowing during winter weather, and employ new road maintenance systems to keep your streets in shape
New Chirps: #yeahthereare

A little disappointed to see that their engine limitations are still keeping them from adding new graphical content to existing maps (in the base version, at least; mods always go a little further), but the addition of weather in this form is actually pretty interesting to me. A blizzard is an altogether different sort of disaster than a fire or a flood, strangling the city rather than wrecking it. In any case, looking forward to it!

So it will only snow on the new maps? That’s okay, I guess. It’s going to be weird to have snowplow options in maps where it will never snow.

Instead of a “snowplow depot” they should’ve just made it a generic road maintenance building or something that functions in all weather conditions.

3 maps have snow, Quill18 gets to play some @ the Paradox offices. I really like the tram setup, though it sorta makes passenger trains and buses less interesting. Also snow plows hold the snow and take it back to the snow dump to melt. Wait that’s not how plows work!?!!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNXce1pJHn0

I’m really underwhelmed by the way they implemented the snow in this DLC. It being limited to specific maps instead of being a true seasonal change is disappointing.

Yeah, their engine limitations–and continuing unwillingness to explore ways around them (the team is VERY against anything that might significantly increase minimum requirements)–are a little frustrating. Things like the Agent Limit, Building Limit, and inability to add things like snow or the EU building set to existing maps all stems from that, IIRC.

There’s a mod for multiple building sets at least (I think?).

Started playing again, with focus on stupid cims and wood exports! And I never ever ready chirpy’s messages!

Snowfall is out today, I will be waiting for a sale as I don’t think the content being offered is worth the asking price. I really wish they would add more building types, I am really tired of seeing the same building next to itself over and over and over.

Found 1 review so far , they seem to agree that it doesn’t add anything really meaningful.

http://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/cities-skylines-snowfall-review/12473

DLC notes and patch infos:

Paid content Snowfall Expansion

Winter theme added
3 winter maps
3 new winter parks
4 new landmark buildings
Snow (generated on buildings)
Snowfall
Northern lights
Chirper variations and new chirps
Winter citizens
Winter trees
Winter props
Cars slow down on snow
Some twinkle!
New sounds
New music
Winter versions for a few After Dark growables added
Tram added
Tram rails, electricity poles and models
Tram roads and bridges/tunnels
Tram stops
Tram depot
Thumbnails and tooltips
Added to the public transport Info view
Added to the economy panel
Snow plows, that remove the snow from roads, and snow dump
Heating
Pipes
Geothermal Heating Plant
Boiler Station
Road maintenance service
Road maintenance truck and depot
Road condition affects car speed
Sauna
Temperature affects electricity and heat consumption
8 new Steam achievements
4 new policies
New loading tips
New loading images 

Free for all players:

Expanded public transportation UI
Line detail / visibility icons
Public transport lines panel (sorting of lines by name, vehicle count, passenger count or number of stops, color and renaming and day/night/daynight lines settings) available from the public transport info view
Theme editor
Added information on which custom map theme is used for a map to New game, Load game, New map and Load map panels, including the theme author name
Warning added when trying to use a map or save that has a missing custom map theme
New map panel allows custom themes when starting a new map
Weather
Rain
Fog
Chirper variations
5 new Steam achievements
Thermometer shows current temperature either in Celsius or Fahrenheit
Trams/taxi in info view now scalable size
Tunnel entrances have lights
WORKSHOP PANEL NOW DO ... INSTEAD OF CUTTING TEXT !!!!!
Background menu image fading based on what DLCs are owned
Main menu DLC badges
Building collision height includes props/trees
Small fixes for numerous buildings
Terrain cliffs and sand have now higher texel density.
Terrain cliff and sand textures have been improved and more uniformly tiled relative to different themes.
Fixed: Expansion 1: "2x2 Pub" gets built in Tourism districts and not Leisure districts
Fixed: Expansion 1: Design: 1x1_Souvenir Shops are built in Leisure Specilization districts.
Fixed: Expansion 1: Three assets are in the wrong category in the Asset Editor
Fixed: Expansion 1: "2x2 Beauty Salon" has wrong sort of names
Fixed: Expansion 1: Polish text for "User Interface Volume" goes out of bounds
Fixed: Russian option text in Display Mode scroll list goes out of bounds
Fixed: SPA/RUS: Options: The Aspect Ratio drop-down menu has cut-off text
Fixed: Magicka Theme Park is unevenly lit at night
Fixed: There is no "Normal" style for European maps
Fixed: Animated parks and unique buildings have flashing people and animals when viewed from the Electricity info view
Fixed: Elevated roads cannot be upgraded
Fixed: Some parks can be built under an elevated road, causing collision issues
Fixed: Solar Power plants description doesn't match the functionality
Fixed: It's possible to access locked construction menu tabs if loading into a smaller city save game from a large city save game
Fixed: Some citizens remain in parks indefinitely and sometimes retain their child bodies
Fixed: Graphics: Most props on the Magicka Theme Park are losing textures while zoomed out
Fixed: Tourism drops significantly in cities which have reached an attractiveness limit
Fixed: If too many 1x1 buildings are built close to each other, they, along with nearby buildings, will disappear if the user zooms out the
view.
Fixed: An error message appears when attempting to continue a power line by selecting the top-most part of a pylon.
Fixed: AI: After loading a saved game, multiple vehicles return to their depot.

Was just browsing the official website for the Snowfall expansion and wasn’t disappointed.

New Chirps: #yeahthereare

-Todd

Yes, and now Chirper now has hat options also!

But can I choose a type of bridge to cross water? Nope…

Glad they are focusing on things people want. :p

Yeah, I’m passing on this one as well. It just doesn’t add anything worth the price.

I will buy this simply to support the game and the developers. This is easily one of my favorite games from last year.

Glad this is getting a free to play weekend. Been on the fence on this one for a long time. Heard it was great for making big pretty cities and had a better interface than the new Sim City, but it may be less of a game than the new Sim City which may drive me nuts. Should let me mess around with it and see how I feel.

I picked this up over the Steam holiday sale and it really scratched that itch I had for a few days, but once I realized that it’s almost impossible to not generate gobs of cash easily, it sort of lost all challenge.