Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

The lighting in that second screenshot makes your library look like an old rusted out metal warehouse building :)

I have been getting back into this one lately after buying some DLC on the GreenManGaming sale.

It still is not very challenging. I get that there is a hard mode but that simply just makes things more expensive and artificially lowers RCI demand. I would play on this mode if it was simply the cost but I do not feel like having a city grow very slowly due to the reduced demand.

On the other hand it is quite fun. My biggest challenge is just getting started. I find myself trying to be too perfect at the start and that has hindered me in the past. If I can get to 1,000 people I kind of feel that I am on my way. Some of the scenarios also give me that initial boost. But once I am going I just can spend hours tweaking my creation. It may not be quite as great as SC4 but it is close.

For those who are wondering, I thought I would provide some insight into the DLCs.

The DLCs do make a substantial difference, especially Mass Transit and Parklife. The main challenge in this entire genre is always traffic. SC4 was woefully incomplete until Rush Hour gave players the tools to build large cities. Mass Transit is somewhat along the same vein as it provides the hubs for an efficient transportation system. I have not spent much time with this as my city is not of sufficient size to really need it but it does feel like an important piece of the overall game.

Parklife is the DLC that I think provides the most enjoyment. The ability to build and maintain personalized parks is creatively a lot of fun. I can put together a decent park in just a few minutes but I am looking forward to developing a huge one when I finally build my downtown area, which will also include a zoo. This DLC just adds a creative touch that was missing from the game.

Green Cities adds some new assets but just sort of blends into the background. The recycling centers and things like that are okay but it does not seem to greatly impact game play.

After Dark is nice for screenshots and you can appeal to tourists but again it does not add anything fundamental to the game. The night mode is pretty but it makes it more difficult when you are trying to add roads or plan so I find myself turning it off from time to time.

I entirely skipped Snowfall. Not updating existing maps to have seasons was a massive miss for this expansion. I have no desire to build a permanently snowed-in city.

I was thinking the exact same thing lol

:|

Better screenshot of it, and moar of the city.

I should be playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided, but traffic issues are so much fun to resolve!

Very beautiful.

The city grows, also some sweet new road options like this bridge with center walking area (last picture).

I played for a bit tonight, but one thing is driving me a bit nuts. All the interface/menus are kind of fuzzy, like they are in a lower resolution than the game itself. The graphics look fine, just the menus look horrible.

I don’t have something set wrong do I? My guess is they used some sort of scaling for higher resolutions to make the interface big and readable. I guess that’s fine, just ugly.

Beautiful screenshots.
I was just thinking about getting back into this game and these helped sway me.

Thanks for sharing.

I’ve got it on both PC and Xbox but haven’t played beyond destroying some cities with the Disasters DLC for my kids. These screenshots make me want to play!

You know, I keep wanting to love this game but most times I fire it up I usually end up bouncing off it for some reason. It just doesn’t have the x-factor that the SimCity games up to 4 had, even 2013 had some decent ideas amongst the broken mess. I can’t put my finger on what it is but Cities: Skylines just fails to captivate me, it sure can look pretty so it has to be something to do with the gameplay loops I feel.

I end up watching others design and create beautiful or realism-inspired cities more than anything.

There isn’t much game to it other than traffic management (which it does well). I think the lack of game makes it not appealing to some (like me). I think it is still appealing to those who just enjoy creating and making cool looking cities. From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like the DLC adds significant gameplay to convince me to give it another chance.

This released on Switch today. I wonder how the controls are. This is something I keep returning to despite some of the issues that have been brought up re: “lack of game-ness,” and I would love to have a decent handheld city builder.

Industry DLC!

Awesome. That is a DLC I can get behind.

Seems like the most interesting DLC so far.

That was exact thought too.

I really wish they would port this game to iOS.

Industry definitely needed some sort of upgrade to make it more interesting. In most of my cities I’d practically abandon my industrial areas once I had enough of an educated worker base to fill offices.

So Industry is out, any feedback??

Yea was wondering this myself.