Paradox buys White Wolf and all properties from CCP

I didn’t see this coming.

https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/659711362185211904

The cat is out of the bag: Paradox Interactive has bought White wolf and all properties from CCP. Very very very exciting.

That means Paradox owns World of Darkness and now owns Vampire: The Masquerade.

Did CCP ever do anything with the license? I only remember that they cancelled something a while ago.

They planned to make a World of Darkness MMO, but didn’t, and now they won’t. That’s all I know.

Official press release: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-interactive-acquires-white-wolf-publishing-from-ccp-games.888941/

For a moment there, I thought it was the other White Wolf, Geralt, while the letters kinda matched CDPR as well and was rather flabbergasted - This is interesting news, though!

This is wonderful. I never thought we’d get another WOD game.

We never got that Werewolf: the Apocalypse game to act out our onset-of-puberty analogues. How about a grand strategy game with a bunch of monster types and factions trying to thrive in the shadow of (or overshadowing) human civilization? Europa Universalis Portentum?

Just use that failed Supernatural spinoff pilot about a bunch of monster crime families in Chicago as the backdrop, 50% PDX grand strategy, 50% Mafia.

Anyway, I am curious to see what comes of this. I know a lot of people are still sore over some of the sweeping changes made in NWoD, but it’s picking up gradual support in local game shops. It might never be as big as it was when the perfect mixture of teenage rebellion and counterculture allowed the original WoD’s gothy overtones to give us perhaps the first real competitor to DnD (in terms of sales) in TTRPGs, but with careful guidance from PDX and solid investment, it could do great things.

So that’s what Shams was teasing yesterday. Interesting. Wonder if this will take the place of the cancelled Runebound for their dev focus. It seems they’ve been pushing out of their traditional bounds a bit, though Grand Strategy is still their bread and butter.

I’ve got no personal investment in White Wolf, and have never played anything in the line, but Paradox does things I like. So chances are this will be something worth watching, for me.

Paradox distributed/fulfilled Pillars of Eternity orders and has a working relationship with Obsidian already, so hopefully they’ll have the common sense to commission Obsidian to do a World of Darkness RPG. I think there’s a good chance of that happening, especially since Paradox isn’t (yet) known for RPGs.

I hope this happens and Obsidian teams up with doublebear so Mitsoda can write the damn thing again. Also I want Rik Schaffer on the music duties and I want it to run on Unreal 4 or Source 2 and have first/third person perspective.
I know I am undemanding.

AFAIK, Obsidian’s wrapped up with Paizo pretty tight in the form of their public cardgame based on Pathfinder and their long-rumored PCRPG based in that world/ruleset. Not sure the studio’s quite ready to juggle that many balls (alongside their work on PoE Xpacks/sequel) after their close encounter with demise before the PoE Kickstarter.

From Twitter:

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian 1m1 minute ago
So it seems like something was bought by @PdxInteractive and people want us to look into making a game? Hmmm…

No one should even mention that episode, much less use it as the basis for anything. It didn’t exist. IT DIDN’T EXIST!

Obsidian just rehired Avellone. When you draw blood from someone in the new Vampire game, there’ll be a wall of text describing the person’s memories. And this time there’ll be a quiz to make sure you were paying attention.

More Bloodlines? Ohmythesimplepossibillitymakesmefaint. Almost.

Where’ve you seen that news? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

After conducting a massive search that incurred far too much time spent on Twitter, I determined that Sapper was probably joking/mocking Avellone’s writing style.

Although he did winkie-face-heart @-reply some fans saying they’d pre-order any Obsidian-made VtM game if Avellone were on the project.

And, strictly speaking, I think any new game would technically be in Vampire: The Requiem, since NWoD is supposed to supersede classic (although the success of some of the “v20” reprint/reboots of cWoD stuff might change that as White Wolf changes hands).

Paradox just announced a White Wolf: Apocalypse game. But it’s not coming from Paradox.

It’s being made by Cyanide and published by Focus Home Interactive.

[quote]
In the game you will become a Garou, a rage-fuelled Werewolf warrior opposed to urban civilization and the destruction it brings. The Garou are born to fight the corruption of The Wyrm, a powerful supernatural force leading us towards an inevitable Apocalypse.

“The world is dying. When will you Rage? The core question of Werewolf: The Apocalypse is more relevant today than ever before and the cooperation with Focus and Cyanide will finally give gamers the opportunity to revel in the raw power and primal spirituality of the Garou. What is the price of saving the world with fang and claw? Find out for yourself as we explore the darkest corners of a dying planet.”, says Martin Ericsson, Lead Story Teller of White Wolf.[/quote]

I respect Cyanide after their great Game of Thrones RPG, but god dammit when is Paradox going to announce Vampire Bloodlines 2.