Paradox Plaza (official forum) can be unpleasant for devs

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a case of a culture gap. Spanish culture not communicating well with Swedish culture.

This is a worlds smallest violin situation for me. They made their bed, let them lie in it.

Of course abuse should be moderated and is never acceptable but why are their forums so toxic? Why even have a moderator in the first place if you let it get to this stage. That’s on them. I don’t visit their forums but maybe there are valid complains among the cesspit.

Regarding the DLC, well as a consumer I don’t give a single fuck about deadlines, corporate, shareholders blah blah blah. You release a shitty product, expect shitty reviews, expect shitty sales. Expect loss of confidence in your company. Me understanding how it works doesn’t matter one whit. And the more grief they get, maybe, just maybe they won’t launch in that kind of state. (I don’t believe it, really)

I’ve ranted on this before, notably in the pathfinder threads, but launching in a bad state really irritates me.

It’s not like this hasn’t happened at Paradox before. They had a big come to Jesus moment several years ago with the quality, or lack there-of, of their release products. They promised to do better etc and to their credit they did. But something like this just feels like they slipped back to their old ways.

HOI IV: I loved Man the Guns, but the subsequent DLC has been super lame and I really disliked Le Resistance. It just feels like they haven’t been adding any real meat to the game. I’d like them to do a DLC that focuses on the post-war period. In particular how Britain and the U.S. considered declaring war on Russia, to stop the the whole-sale takeover of Eastern Europe.

Yeah, they were slowly starting to shed that long-standing reputation and then they do something like this, which just reconfirms it in the eyes of everyone. I’m stunned on that basis alone that this was allowed to happen, even looking at it from a shareholder perspective it’s profoundly damaging to the brand to backslide like this. It’ll be nearly impossible to recover public trust going forward.

CK3 was pretty amazing upon release too.

I can’t believe that the company that published Sword of the Stars II would do this to us.

Back in the good old days, the golden age of gaming as some call it, all Paradox releases were broken at launch. Does anyone here remember HOI 3 or VIC 2 on release day? Kids these days, complaining about placeholder art and exploits if you play in very remote areas of the map!

This. Never. Happened. Nope, never published. Nuh-uh.

I remember the launch state of EU2, so get off my lawn.

How was it? I only played EU2 when it was already out for awhile. Good game!

Perfect comedic timing there, Tom. I laughed. ;)

Amazing game, but it definitely started out rough.

This feels cringy to me:

Very Scandinavian, though.

I guess they felt inspired by the Eurovision thing last weekend or so.

EDIT: watched the whole thing. Very Eurovision. Also a bit cringe, as things like these usually are. The song itself is cool, but some of the lyrics kind of ruined it. “We make games, you make the story” runs in that fine like between cringe and nice. “Gloria in excelsis Paradox” is pure cringe though. And “we’re gonna rule the earth, the second birth”? Really? Maybe it should be “we’re gonna rule the earth with DLC”. ;)

Just waiting for them to release it as a paid DLC so you can have the pleasure of hearing it inside their very own games. :p

It would’ve fit right in in 2020, it was a bit of a rage a decade year ago to do these things.
But, shrug, unless it’s a talented band, it doesn’t sound good, as you’d expect.

“We make the games, you create the stories.” has been the mission statement for a while, though.

Which is a great motto, but it didn’t work quite as well in the song, not in the way they did it, I’d say. But that’s just, like, my opinion, man. ;)

Different strokes, I really thought it was fun. I even listened to it twice. Now mind you there is no Grammy or London Philharmonic Orchestra performance, in the future for the Paradox band like there was for Beba Yetu

What they lacked in talent, I thought they made up for in enthusiasm. I think it is pretty cool, turning game developers into rock stars even if only for 3:45 seconds.

It is a great motto, and while I’m sure I’ve probably read it a dozen times on Paradox site. It took listening to garage band sing it for 7:30 minutes before it finally sung or sunk into my head.

Most of them, yeah, but some of them seemed to be totally out of place? Which is kind of expected, I know.