Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Thanks for breaking that down. It does sound like fun!

This has been quietly pulled from sale.

Clearly the work of commie traitors!

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped reading RPS

What a unique game. We had party wipes before we finished equipping ourselves. Hard to bring that to a computer dialogue.

In December of 2019, Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory, a sci-fi RPG set in an isolated dystopian city called Alpha Complex, came out on the Epic Games Store. Within two months it had been delisted, removed from sale with no explanation from the developer or publisher, and calls for comment received no reply. A Steam page remained up, promising that it would arrive there after its year of Epic exclusivity. It did not. Over a year later, there’s still no explanation.

I don’t think Happiness is Mandatory was removed from sale for being a bit dated and underwhelming, or for flaws like not letting you select party members by simply clicking on them once. It’s not great, but it’s no Afro Samurai 2. It’s possible there’s a situation like the legal dispute between Frogwares and Nacon that saw The Sinking City removed from various storefronts (though that game remains available on Origin and Gamesplanet), but even now nobody will say.

I reached out to developers Black Shamrock and Cyanide Studio, and publisher Big Ben Interactive/Nacon, but received no reply. A representative of Epic Games did respond, directing me back to the publisher, who again did not reply. Neither did two of the original tabletop game’s creators, although Mongoose Publishing, who print its current edition, did confirm that, “We were not involved in the decision to pull Happiness is Mandatory, and the license is currently available to interested parties.”

Are you questioning the Computer’s decisions, Citizen?