Parasite, the Oscars best picture winner of 2020

I have now! Watched Memories of Murder last night and really dug it. Definitely my favourite Bong after Parasite (though I also rewatched Snowpiercer recently and liked it a little better than before). It was particularly striking given how tired and formulaic the serial killer genre is in the West, though I wonder how much the divergence was down to being based on true events (I’ve no idea how faithful the story is).
In a similar way to how Parasite makes a good companion piece to Burning, I’d argue that Memories of Murder juxtaposes well with Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. They both share a fundamental lack of faith in the police and policework that you rarely see in Hollywood movies, though it’s much more nihilistically expressed in Park’s film and Bong’s has much more, um, sympathy for at least some (one?) of the detectives as individuals than Park’s. I’d be very interested if anyone has any reading material on the cultural origin of that, kind of like that piece on the Japanese justice system and Ace Attorney.

I saw from the Rotten Tomatoes reviews (and one that popped up in the QT3 search) that a lot of critics highlighted what they called comic elements or dark humour. I have to say I didn’t really get that vibe at all, and I’m usually attuned to dark humour (and it’s clearly present in Bong’s other films). Stuff like the crime scene fuck-ups early on didn’t come across as bleakly funny, just tragic/shameful. That’s not to say there was nothing funny in it at all, but I would never in a million years describe it, as the review referenced on QT3 did, as “an unusual fusion of death and laughter”.

Which piece is that?

I think it was this one, but it was so long ago that I read it I’m not entirely sure:

There’s a more academic article here:

Thanks, I will make time to read these.