Parrots

I couldn’t capture them with my phone because it sucks, but I’ve spotted 3 parakeets in the park next to my home in downtown. I guess they escaped but they seemed quite joyful. And while they don’t seem much still, those are majestic birds when flying.

In the wild they are flock birds and use that for defense. Escaped parakeets don’t typically do well but if you’re seeing them often, that is a good sign. The problem is if there is any cold weather at all, they typically don’t survive.

My mother was a big bird owner and we had several while growing up. We had two escape, never to be seen again but the odds that either lived long are very low. :(

You should take a pic, man!

They do fine in London:

That’s cute as hell! Usually parakeets that are kept as pets adapt to mild indoor temps and lack of predators. And without a flock, they don’t do well. But that many? Holy cripes that a lot!

They are huge too. I have no idea how they adapted to the climate there but it appears to be common if there are enough of them. The one that threw me is there are apparently wild groups in Chicago of all places. I’ve been through a Chicago winter. I have NO clue how those birds have adapted.

newcomers are often taken by surprise by the flash of green and exotic squawk. You never forget your first parakeet moment.

Yup, exactly what happened an hour ago here.

I live about half a mile from the local zoo and those rose ringed parakeets are all over the place. It’s estimated there are about 2500 around and they are really easy to identify due to their unique sound.

Also no idea how they managed to deal with the climate, but I really appreciate having those pretty green birds around during our grey winter, while all their winged German buddies are kicking it in Africa.

You don’t see them much in my part of town (though some did land on my balcony rail once), but when I used to have a lot of friends in West London they were ever present.