Party based rpgs/tactical games

Massive Chalice is my favorite XCOM derivative as well. I do not think its tactical layer is quite as good as some of the others in the genre and by the end of the game it starts feeling repetitive, but its generation aspects—managing a few families over 300 years to improve their weapons and stats—makes it more unique and engrossing than its peers. I’d still take the Firaxis XCOMs over it, but it’s better than all the others.

Agreed. I liked the time I spent on Massive Chalice. You won’t ever get too attached to your strongest units because they will die of old age anyways.

I’ll plug TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children.

It’s a hybrid of Final Fantasy tactics and XCOM. Tons of content here. The English translation can be a be a little awkward, but it’s honestly part of the charm. Huge thumbs up from me.

I am in the mood for an srpg. I’ll check it out, thanks!

Wait, did no one mentioned Twilight 2000?

Although, good luck getting through just the character creation.

By the way, was there a rumor of a KOTOR 3 back in the works?

I’m thinking of giving this a go myself tomorrow as I recover from the expected side effects of my second COVID vaccine jab. I don’t think I’ve ever played a KRPG before.

More than sorta: Pool of Radiance was based on the Wizard’s Crown engine.

I never got very far in it, I think I talked myself into coming back to it as well.

Turns out, my second COVID dose laid me to out to such an extent that doing anything other than laying in bed was a nonstarter. But, I’m back to normal now and plan on diving into it this weekend.

X-Piratez, you fucking squares!

The only way it could be improved is if you could attack a Dwarf Fortress.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a new game in this genre releasing May 27. It is based on the core D&D 5E rules and focused on tactics.

It’s funny you say that because I’ve got my games split into catagories and I was thinking of combining ‘typical’ turn based tactical and turn based rpgs because they are so similar to me in many respects. :-)
I guess many rpgs have more ‘stuff’ than more pure tactical games, but there is a lot of overlap.

This thread is my jam. I own about 95% of games in here already. I just added 3 new ones to my wishlist.

Lately I’m really into Solasta. I should stop as 1.0 is coming in May but it’s so damn good.

I keep meaning to sit down with this. when I looked into it a few years ago it was still considered brutally difficult and I was intimidated. But my thoughts always wander back to it (as, invariably, they always wander back to X-com).

It’s not easy, but neither is X-Com when you don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s a longer struggle, too. With X-Piratez I give myself more permission to re-do things than I do with vanilla X-Com.

But it’s super rich and fun, with a crazy world and lots of funny stuff. For instance, you can butcher a celatid corpse and make bagpipes out of it, except than in addition to braying music these bagpipes throw a glob of celatid acid in a giant arc to plop on your enemies and burn them and their armor.

After you mentioned it I’ve gone and done some reading and I can see where it has come a huge way since I last looked in on it. It’s got me excited. I saw where apparently now you juggle relationships between I guess squadmates or something? A dash of persona sounds fine to me.

My beef with bagpipes IRL is precisely that they can’t do this. Talk about missed opportunity.

Well not with that attitude.

[quote=“peacedog, post:56, topic:151656, full:true”]

After you mentioned it I’ve gone and done some reading and I can see where it has come a huge way since I last looked in on it. It’s got me excited. I saw where apparently now you juggle relationships between I guess squadmates or something? A dash of persona sounds fine to me.[/quote]

I updated mine to the latest maybe two months ago, and I haven’t seen any relationship management a la Jagged Alliance. But it is more of an RPG than X-Com, in that the gals are more diverse in their talents than the squaddies and have probably hundreds more options for outfitting. And because it’s all gals, I name them after my favorite women of the moment. Stacey Abrams, Valerie Leon, Irish McCalla, Xenia de Mattia, Olivia Cheng, et al.