Path of Exile

Familiarise yourself with this:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

Ugh, wiki still borked, cached version here - http://web.archive.org/web/20171102155455/https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

White items in PoE are not all junk - they integrate into the vendor system and by themselves can be bases for crafting into top tier items.

The key ones to know initially, which will help you build a currency base, are:

• RGB linked to vendor = chromatic orb
  • 6 socket to vendor = 6x fusing orbs
  • quality items (single 20% quality item, or multiple totalling 40%):
    • armors - armourer’s scrap
    • weapons - blacksmith’s whetstone
    • flasks - glassblower’s bauble
    • maps - cartographer’s chisel
    • skill gems - gemcutter’s prism
  • full ilevel 60-74 set (helm, chest, belt, boots, rings, ammy, gloves, weapons/shield for both hands - chaos orb
  • full ilevel 75-100 set (helm, chest, belt, boots, rings, ammy, gloves, weapons/shield for both hands - regal orb
  • 20% quality hammer/breaker/gavel with any map - cartographer’s chisel
  • 7 vaal gems and sacrifice vaal fragment - vaal orb

There is a set recipe for below ilevel 60 items (for chance orbs), but that’s not really worth the effort. Once ilevel 60’s start dropping, start sorting rares into junk gear tabs with a view to vendoring them as sets for chaos orbs. Don’t be a afraid to drop an alchemy’s on white ilevel 60’s to fill a gap (ie you’ll have less rings and ammy drops) to make sets. alch-chaos typically trades at 3:1, so if you use no more than one alch per vendor trade, you’ll still be ahead. You also get a shot at rolling an excellent ring or ammy for an upgrade to your build, or that you could sell for way more itself.

To that end you will also start a collection of white items that you may use as a crafting base yourself for twinking, or jewelry to fill chaos recipes and hope to roll upgrades.

The vendors also quite frequently offer a red green blue linked item that you can buy from them for an alteration and sell right back for a chromatic.

And red tier Elder down as well. I’m still not clear on the mechanics of the fight because I’m literally right clicking my way through the atlas on the gladiator, lol.

Another vendor tip to keep in mind: when you’ve got your Masters up to a certain level (4, I think?) they start offering skill gems for sale. Fairly often you can find a quality gem on offer, and it doesn’t cost any more than the normal version. I collect these until I have a total of 40% quality and sell them for a Gemcutter’s Prism. And once in a blue moon you might even find one you’d actually like to use!

I think I remember that if you trade a lvl 20 gem you will get it back as lvl1 quality 20. I have never powerleveled enough for that to be useful though.

There’s a vendor recipe. lvl20 gem + gemcutter prism == lvl1 20% quality gem.

IIRC, if you don’t die (much), a gem will hit 20 when your character hits 88 or so.

Wow. Sunder/ancestral recall/life on hit/multistrike is amazing. They weren’t kidding about sunder.

Spectres are great now, too. The 3.1.1 patch fixed some gems like Spell Echo which weren’t quite doing the right thing on some spectres (especially Solar Guards), and now they are very powerful again (instead of just fairly powerful.) The Abyss jewels with flat minion damage and minion attack/cast speed are a big buff. On top of that, one of the new uniques and some of the shaper/elder bonuses are saving me gem slots and I can fit a bit more into the build than usual for a summoner.

Why ancestral call on sunder? It’s an aoe skill.

Maybe it’s just being linked so that the ancestral protector gets multistrike?

Ancestral Call is the new support gem that gives single target abilities some splash, Ancestral Protector is a melee totem.

This particular set of links is what the posts above are talking about. To help clarify, Ancestral Call shouldn’t actually kick in for this 4-link. However, Sunder is so powerful you might not notice.

Interesting. I saw the combination as recommended in the forum. I’ll have to check again. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Yep, I read wrong. That’s cool, I can find something else for that slot.

Added Fire or Faster Attacks are would be good places to start.

Also, if you didn’t know, after you finish the Library quest (find the 4 golden pages), you can buy all gems (including cross class gems) at level one, once you’ve done whatever quest they’re associated with, from the quest dude by the waypoint. It’s super convenient.

I believe Lilly functions similarly if not the same as of partway through act 6.

Yeah about the library guy. And I used the Ancestral Call on a single hit attack and the effect is pretty obvious. Also obvious why it would be OP firing on an AOE.

Although apparently AC with Molten Strike or Frost Blades is a thing…

Has the metagame started to settle any yet? What’s generally considered the top builds?

Does Path of Exile track hours played in a menu or a website somewhere? I’m kind of curious to how long I’ve played.

EDIT: Apparently there’s not.

You have to go to each character and type /played, and add all of them up yourself. And there’s no way to know for all the characters you’ve deleted.

The only way I know of is to play through Steam and let it track.

Silly person, this isn’t Diablo 3. There are many builds people enjoy ;)