Path of Exile

Finally got ascendancy. Went for Juggernaut. Woot.

I’ve quit the game 4 or 5 times because of it. Having a timing puzzle, where half the puzzle is offscreen with no way to scroll to see it = horrible game design. I hate every single thing about the lab, so I feel your pain.

Ice Horns. Eh.

I’ve spent the non-holiday-event time over the last few days recreating my HC SSF Sunder Gladiator. Just got him through Act 10 and into maps, though it was touch-and-go with Kitava. Had to portal out a couple of times to refill flasks, and at least once my life globe looked empty but I must have hit the flask just in time. But he made it, and then I almost immediately killed him by going into a map without checking my newly lowered resistances. Fortunately it was a basic blue tier 1 map without any seriously dangerous stuff in it. My stupid didn’t quite kill him this time! Level 70 now, so it’s time to see how he does climbing the map tiers. Going to depend almost entirely on what items I find, as I’ve got nothing left in the stash that would improve on his current gear. Or maybe I’ll make another alt, there’s all this stuff sitting unused in my stash…

Hilariously I completed my uber lab tonight, then for the second time in my PoE career I ripped to tiny little animals. First time was Order of the Frozen Sky frogs, this time Herald of the Obelisk plague of rats got me. I couldn’t stop laughing for 5 minutes.

I might never get that achievement for level 90 hardcore, as I can’t stop doing silly things. I’d actually escaped the rats, then dove back in to try and finish them off. Dead at 87, don’t disrespect the rats.

Words to live by.

I like is how the servers announce in chat the death of high-level hardcore league characters. I was starting to feel confident yesterday, when I saw “BlahBlah Scion level 96 has died at position 35 of the ladder.” Ouch.

Got my first map drop from an abyss trove. My understanding is that I cant use it in the Maligaro device and have to wait until Epilogue? It’s 68 to, I think, 77 level monsters anyway.

Yeah, you have to wait until epilogue. The difficulty is deceiving though; your first maps are significantly easier than the final parts of act 10 regardless of monster level unless you intentionally roll them with very difficult mods.

Thanks.

So I have 17 chaos orbs from this league. Is that a lot? Level 64 jugg.

It’s not a lot. You could buy some very cheap leveling rares or uniques with that, and that’s about it. On the extreme end you have people with hundreds of exalts a few weeks into the league - current price on Abyss SC is about 85 chaos for 1 exalt.

I’m not into trading at all but I’ve had a pretty good run last league and ended up with gear that was worth around ~250-300 exalts total (across multiple characters + stuff in shop). Back then exalts were only about 50 chaos though.

True, but it’s plenty to get good gear to start mapping (or to defeat Merc Lab or act 10) though, if that’s what he’s looking for. You only need 1-2c per slot to gear up well for that.

Yeah, that’s what I meant with cheap leveling rares ;). Double res (70+total) + decent life (80+) is very very common and can be acquired for 1c per slot easily, especially if you join the league a little late. You can even get a white 5L chest for 2-3c after 3 days or so.

I read 3 to 5 c each for that. But that was reddit so YMMV. What dos a tabula go for now?

I put various 5L stuff in the guild stash when I find it. If it’s not rare, should be able to scour and alch.

Well, that’s more. I rarely bother with a Tabula on my first character in a league unless the build absolutely needs all those links. I use cheap rares as Bateau says, plus maybe spend a few c for a 5L rare with some kind of life/res to get started on maps. At this point though, 1c is enough for such a 5L rare.

This time around, you could just grab a 3L shaper/elder rare with 1-2 extra supports built in if you want to keep your chest slot flexible for a while. Those new rares with supports are even real cheap now in that 1-2c range if you’re not too picky, you’re just stuck with a level 16 or 18 support until you upgrade the item.

I apparently stupidly murdered a lowlvl HC char of mine today, by not understanding how Master progression works. I assumed each char had their own Masters and progression, but apparently it is shared for all characters in a league?

So I took a young lvl ~20 into a master mission for Elreon whom I had been also working up with my lvl 52 HC. And I got monsters level appropriate for a lvl 50 and died almost instantly. I am mostly guessing with the above, because the game makes it so hard to tell why you died. I was hoping HC would make me more interested in playing, but honestly it is mostly doing the opposite.

Yep, the Masters spawn missions appropriate to their level, not yours. So if the master is level 5, you’ll get monsters in the 50s. For further confusion, note that Zana is different than all the others - she spawns a map of the tier equal to her level. So a level 3 Zana spawns tier 3 (or level 71) maps. You can check the monster level by looking at the zone mods (shows up in the upper right when you bring up the map with tab). As far as I know this is not documented anywhere and the only way to learn it is to know where to read about it online, or the hard way.

POE is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, and that goes double for HC. I get frustrated with it at least once a league, usually more often, and end up taking long breaks. But they do such a great job of revamping it every few months with new league mods and other changes that (so far) I always come back.

You should not play PoE while drinking. But if you do, playing a Frostbolt totem Templar HIerophant with a bunch of twink items from @Bateau is the way to go. Ran my guy all the way through Act 7 with no real problems, despite way too much running around while triggering abyss spawns and not really paying attention to where I was going. Got out of Arakaali’s lair in better shape than Silk!

Just got to Act 9. I may go all the way this time. I figured out a system. If I log on and I am 50% of the way to level, I farm until I ding. Then I do abysses and bosses. If I lose XP no big deal.

Speak for yourself. :) I try not to play sober.