Path of Exile

This game has billions of builds and people end up with dozens and dozens of characters over the course of various Leagues. Don’t worry about sticking it with your first character, you can get far into the game and have fun even with a shitty build. Then if you want to push into harder content, you start to refine.

If I had to choose between breathable air and PoE I’d probably pick PoE.

So what do people think of the Incursion league so far?

For people not playing, what this league does is add a NPC you run into out in the wild (and you run into her a LOT). She offers you the chance to go back in time to an ancient Aztec-ish temple that has approximately 12 rooms. Each time you go back it’s to a specific room, where you have the chance to kill one of two bosses. Killing a boss changes the nature of that room. So for instance killing boss A may give the monsters more health, while killing boss B may change the room into an armory that provides more armor for the monsters (and gives you armor drops). You go back in time, but you only have a short window of opportunity to find and kill one of the bosses. Oh, and you can also open paths that lead to other rooms. But you only get like 30 seconds to a minute to do all this, and at the end of the time you’re whisked back to the present.

Do that 8 or 9 times and then you get a chance to visit the temple in present times, modified by all the changes you brought about in the past.

Then the process starts all over again except you the changes to the temple remain, so you are continually upgrading the temple.

So I think it’s a fairly interesting league mechanic. Any change that increases the loot you can get is a good one! Early on I had some incursions before I knew exactly what I was doing so I did some dumb things (like adding traps to a room!). However, I did upgrade one room to have chests in it, and when I went there I must have gotten a dozen or so jewels and a similar number of rings and necklaces. I also now know how important it is to open doors when you’re in the past (I can only get to maybe 7 of the rooms), but since I’ve realized that I have not gotten any opening stones so that sort of stinks.

I did spawn the room that lets you sacrifice a unique to get a different one, and that seems like a good thing to have, since I’m typically swimming in uniques I don’t particularly want.

I do feel like the masters are harder to find. I’m keeping my eyes open and have only run into maybe 4 or 5 of them total through 30 levels of play.

The first couple of times that I completed the temple, there was no path to the end room. Not for lack of trying…I simply wasn’t able to open the right doors. Either no opening stones dropped in the right rooms, or I ran out of time before I could use them.

Oh, I wish it was 30 seconds. You start at 15 seconds, which goes up as you kill things. So unless you can kill stuff immediately and quickly, you’re going to run out of time. Terrible for builds that build up damage as they kill things.

At level 32 I did complete a temple that had a path to the end - though a half-dozen rooms were still blocked off - and got to the boss. It wasn’t that hard for a summoner (currently skeletons/SRS) as long as I kept moving to avoid the big fire breathing statues on the corners. Lots of other stuff going on but nothing too harmful…at this level. Probably be much more dangerous later on.

Incursion is fantastic.

You need to fill the murder bar at the bottom of the screen to get a key. It seems like a choice between killing enough mobs to do that or whacking an architect for me so far; my single target isn’t strong enough to do both. If you want to open a specific door, plan a circuit that clears most of the room and ends at that door.

New Rain of Arrows is a crazy good leveling skill, btw.

Just updated this after a long absence. Started a Templar to explore Incursions. Hardcore, solo/self-found, which is how I usually play. Not planning to min-max at the moment. The Incursion things are pretty cool, though I’m always a bit worried about being overwhelmed in there.

I haven’t noticed any terrible damage spikes in incursions so far - the architects aren’t that scary unless you just stand in one place and let them stack things under you.

So apparently the time limit on incursions has some kind of randomness to it? Or maybe it changes based on what you did in the last temple? My last few have all started at only 10 seconds. Needless to say, I got jack squat done in those. I looked at the mods on the rooms, in case I’d accidentally unlocked a bad one that lowers the time, but there’s nothing showing.

Oh, probably; I’m just like level 4 though!

Sigh. I was going to skip this league… You guys are making me want to play it anyway!

Started over with a Witch, always one of my favorites. Much more fun, with zombies and all.

I got my temple path to the last room with some adroit killing and running around. Final boss was not too tough at level 37 (does the temple auto scale?)

I thought the incursion timer got longer as you killed mobs inside the temple. I never knew getting an opening rune was based on filling up the bar at the bottom of the screen, but that makes sense.

I did die in the temple once, either due to a volatile guy or to some sort of corruption junk on the floor, when I was in the 20s… my dps was not super good and I tried to facetank a one of the named guys.

One thing I am really hating is how flavor-of-the-month all the skill gems are. Some of the newer and revamped ones are so much better than old dusty ones they are multiple times as effective with the same linking and effort. So if you just pick any old gem that looks cool and build a char around it as a skill you have a high chance you can never be successful into mapping just because you didn’t know that cool skill gem is actually crap to play.

Got my first complete temple run, about level 50. Boss was easy enough (for now). I’ve gone back to hardcore for this league because there are so many builds I want to try so dying won’t be too much of a punishment as long as I make it to maps each time. I never do the endgame bosses anyway; early red maps are generally where I start an alt just to change it up.

The few people that started summoner in my guild aren’t liking it as it’s not great for clearing incursions early unless you’re very set up.

League’s pretty good.

I was playing a fire trapper up to this point (dropped at 48 from temple boss). It’s kinda fun to be OP af during leveling.

Also, new Saboteur passives are juicy as hell. I wish I had 10 points, previously 6 were enough. I’m enjoying trapper a lot in general, most nodes are generic trap damage/crit so switching out different traps is relatively trivial, at least during leveling.

I’d actually recommend the class (fire trapper) for ssf, it’s very smooth for leveling.

That looks like an awesome lightning dude staff.

I’ve never played a trapper… is it fun? How much coordination does it require?

It’s just like playing any other caster I’d say. You also get access to a really good defensive ascendancy as well as acrobatics+phase acro, so it’s a little tankier than your average caster.

I can definitely confirm that nobody is playing burning arrow, since I just bought two near-perfect threshold jewels for 1 alch each, heh.

Soooooo BA jewel is limited to one. Wellllllp.

After getting to do another temple run or two I’ve decided this is my favorite league ever. I can’t see this getting stale; there’s enough room variety in the “building” aspect and I love them just dumping the incursion loot at my feet so I can ignore looting until the very end and not have to backtrack the whole map.

I didn’t buy a supporter pack last league, and maybe not the one before it either. I’d been feeling like maybe PoE was starting to fade but they’ve hit it out of the park with this league as far as I’m concerned so I guess that’s another supporter pack I’ll have to shell out for.