Path of Exile

I know stuff dies, but I’m talking about a situation where I’m moving around fast… throw down a trap, move, throw down a trap, move, throw down a trap, move… and then I can’t throw down another one because it’s still on cooldown… I mean with Arc, I’m blowing through the world fast as I can.

I don’t know what’s confusing you. You’re supposed to use both traps. If spire misses its target use arc until you get spire back off cooldown.

I guess I didn’t completely grok that you were also using Arc or whatever in conjunction with Spire. I was thinking of Spire as a replacement for my single-target trap; I currently use Explosive trap for that purpose and it’s fun to be able to spam a bunch of them at a boss’ feet before the encounter starts, whereas I wouldn’t be able to do that for spire. Does it make a meaningful difference? Probably not. As with most things, I guess it boils down to preference.

Well I just took down Shaper (+all guardians obviously) with a 5L spire and it was my easiest kill ever so yeah, I’d say it’s worth replacing Explosive trap. Not to mention the benefit of unified damage (arc and spire are both lightning) so you get maximum benefit from gear and passives, in case you specced into lighting anywhere.

Spire is kinda overtuned imo.

I decided to jump back in to this for a bit. There seems to be a ssf hc league, but I can’t figure out how to enter it- I see hc incursion, but how do you select the ssf option?

When you create a character you should see 3 “banners”. One is standard, one is Incursion, one is Hardcore Incursion. Each of them has a button under the main description you can click to toggle SSF.

Thanks! see the 3 banners but not the buttons. Maybe I’m just being blind, where are they exactly? Or do they have to be unlocked somehow?

Are we talking about the same screen, looks like this?

Yes, the same screen, but I don’t see the solo self found buttons on the bottom, and mousing around that area doesn’t do anything. Maybe it’s a bug? I’ll try deleting and reinstalling the client.

Aha, I didn’t know, sorry. You can’t play SSF your first go.
“Solo Self-Found can be selected by ticking a checkbox in the character selection screen. This is only available after rescuing the Scion in Act 3.”
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Solo_Self-Found

ah, thanks! the issue is that I made a new account because I dont still have the old email.

Huh, I had no idea that was a restriction. Seems kinda silly, but I guess they figured they’d just re-use the Scion unlock functionality.

I’ve played HC and SSF in the past, but I’ve more or less given up on both. I’ve already died twice to game crashes in this league, which would be a terrible way to lose a character, so HC is a bad idea. (Also died several times to me being stupid and/or not understanding the new league mechanics, but that’s a different issue.) And I mostly play every char as if they’re SSF until I reach maps, but getting map drops and high-end gear is such a pain in the ass that the trading really helps at that point.

My trapper is still going strong, up to act 8. I went in an incursion but was kind of bummed out because I’d never gotten the chance to connect to the room with the Omnitech. But I decided to go in and get the loot anyway. What I discovered is that the explosives chamber drops a firepowder keg that you can use to blow open a connection - therefore I was able to blow through the last door and fight the Omnitech after all. That was a great surprise.

I’m getting a lot of the belt, String of Servitude. My first one was the +42% to elemental resists, which I’m using, but the ones after that all seem… a lot less useful. Like tripling your Grace aura (I got another one for a different aura, don’t recall what it was). Are those worth keeping in the oft chance it’ll be useful, or should I ditch those?

Sorry I had no idea about the restriction either. No wonder you were confused, haha.

Fodder for sacrifice chambers, 5 for 1 vendor prophecy, or just ditch them. I’m using an ele resist one right now as well. I wonder if there’s one that might be useful beyond leveling.

I did sacrifice one and get some Goldwyrm boots.

So I did my first present day incursion and it didn’t quite come together like I hoped. I can’t seem to get to the end, for one thing, looks like all paths are blocked off. Second, it seems much harder than normal - like it says the enemies are level 11 which I should be able to handle, but there are so many, and they have tough magic attacks, that I’ve died several times and looks like you only get so many attempts? Anyway, guess I’ll just move along.

That was definitely my early-game experience. Didn’t feel like I could really handle it until I was up into Part 2, around Act 6-ish.

Which it is. The enemies have much higher level abilities than the usual early game mobs. They’re scaled down in level and damage, but they’re still using some nasty attack skills. And there’s a lot more of them than the usual areas in the early game.

Yep, you get six portals. Once those are gone, no more entries. Good training for maps, which work the same way. But don’t worry too much, another dozen incursions and you’ll get another temple with its own six portals.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Yeah, temple mobs have 3-4x the damage and health of equivalent regular monsters. It’s kinda silly. Boss is a total pushover though.

I can’t decide if the mob difficulty is somehow reasonable because of the crazy xp glut and all the possible rewards or not, honestly. But the contrast between the mob toughness and the boss is stark.

I’m much worse/slower than the usual PoE player and havent played for a long time; I played a fair bit when it was just 3 or 4 acts but not much since the labyrinth came out. So I need a slow and safe build- my trapper was fun but rip’d in the temple in A2. I guess back to marauder or templar?