Path of Exile

(reads about maps on the wiki) Oh wait, so I have to beat Kitava before any maps :(
then I need to wait until I feel up to the trials and the lab,

Brother, you got to feel up to murder. Murder all the things!

Incredible, I’m 3 for 3 with Tinkerskin turning all white on Altar of Corruption. At this point I’d rather see a brick just to confirm that I’m not cursed or something.

I made it through the merciless lab w/o much drama, but I had to alt-f4 vs Kitava. I tried running plus healing while the minions did stuff but either he hit me with something for more than 3k or there was a running debuff I missed. I guess I may need to go watch some youtube videos of this fight, are any particularly recommended?

This guy has some great guides for every zone/fight etc, as well as just some good stuff in general.

Definitely check out the guide. Personal experience: there are three main things to look out for in that A10 Kitava fight. 1) He’ll drop those black blobs that move slowly away, leaving reddish-black degen patches that will suck you dry quick if you stand in them. 2) The “X-strike” where four circle-X things appear then a huge melee hit right in the middle. 3) His big fire swath will ignite you, so you’d best have a anti-burning flask if it catches you.

The X Strike seems to be the one that gets most people, but those black blobs have been more of a problem for me than anything else. The fire swath is just a matter of knowing the one spot you can stand in. Beware the blobs.

I actually think I’ve died more often to his minions at the very end phase than anything he himself does. Probably because I tend to build too tanky and don’t have the dps to handle it.

There may just be too more things that need happening at once that need attention than i can handle. I will try again but I’m resigned to the idea that i wont get past it.

Have confidence, my friend! I will say, though, that practice is the best way to handle PoE boss fights. Go through it a few times, death or no, and you’ll have much better future encounters. Unfortunately that’s not compatible with HC, which is one of many reasons I don’t do that any more.

Exalts seem to be crashing (price fixing + massive bot ban wave just happened). Lost about 1/3 of value since last night, rip.

Thanks for the help and support, friends! I made it through, knowing the mechanics and increasing from 3700 to 4000 life did the trick. I did use 4 or 5 portals, I doubt I could have survived w/o them.
Now I hope to finally check out what mapping is like.

Congrats!! That’s a tough fight, especially when you’re not used to it. Now enjoy Killing All the Things™ in Maps. :)

I traded off my (very few) exalts a couple of days ago for 150c each. Sounds like I got out just in time. I was wondering what was driving the prices to crazy levels like that.

Ahhh, all I see is Regals…

So, this is pretty good right? Should be a wicked base for a multi-mod?

I lack the funds to do it myself, should I flip it as is to a crafter, or throw just cold res on it myself to get market visibility?

I crafted it to this point from a white 6L drop. Threw a few alts at it but eventually landed on the life and fire res, the regaled the lightning onto it.

Craft cold res and sell, it’s not worth a lot anyway - bad base, mediocre life roll, not to mention a plethora of unique chests you’ll be competing against.

Awesome, glad to hear you made it through! I’ve found that white maps (tier 1-5) are fairly straightforward, just play with your usual caution and you should be fine. Just keep an eye out for any mods that are particularly bad for your build…for summoner, multiple projectiles and chain can be very bad if you’re not careful. And check your resists if you see Elemental Weakness or negative max resists on the map!

Also, you’re going to see a lot more of the dangerous extras that pop up randomly…stuff like breaches and abysses. Remember that map mods can interact with those too! Something like “killing monsters close together summons beyond monsters” combined with a breach can overwhelm you very quickly if you’re not ready for it!

Thanks for the advice. My plan now is to muddle through tiers 1 through 5 and then step back and rethink my gems and build.
So far I’m still using all of zombies skeletons spectres and raging spirits, I gather at some point I should drop one of those so I have slots for other things like cast when damage taken. Also, instead of using a curse that weakens enemies I’ve been using one that strengthens my minions’ melee attack, that’s not what the builds I’ve looked at have suggested.

Beyond+Breach is absolutely awesome. Well, when your clear speed can handle the “holy fuckballs that’s a lot of enemies!”

My clear speed is not fantastic, I just failed a timed Zana mission for that reason. It seems very meta to have her open up a map inside of a map :-)
Question I’ve come across a couple of glowy blue hands poking out of the ground. One time I cried but failed to Target it, the other time I managed to activate it and it made a kind of Ripple come over the map but no other obvious effect. I guess this is related to the shaper, is that right? What am I supposed to do about them? Reading a bit on the web it seems that you can only get the memory fragment needed for the quest on yellow maps and I’m still doing blue ones, just finished Tier 1.

Those sound like breaches, but you’d know if you activated one. Big expanding circle, tons of mobs spawning, possible death.

https://imgur.com/a/eE0a9#JIxoOk0

That screenshot has a good example of breaches, two unactivated ones in the upper left and lower right, and an activated one in the upper right.

I guess maybe you came across one of the places where there’s a ghostly breach hand, which will turn into a clickable chest-type thing once you activate the nearby breach.

The shaper quest is a royal pain. The wiki lists out all the steps. If you’re prior to step 5, then you need to just keep doing maps (of any level) that have the shaper influence on your atlas. Once you get to step 5 “You have encountered the Shaper again, but need to search Maps for clues to find his origin” then you’ll be looking for the memory fragments, and I believe you’ll find the first one in a tier 6 (or higher) map. Then there’s an entire sequence of memory fragments to find that will be in Elder-influenced maps.