Path of Exile

I think you meant “new” Diablo. Is it the end of POE? Maybe in 8 years when D4 releases.
Until then POE will be just fine.

POE will survive new Diablo just fine if GGG continues to make excellent design decisions toward the long-term health of the game and maintains their crazy velocity of releases.

What they’ve done is remarkable, especially compared to idk every other game-as-a-service in history.

Yes, agreed. Will we ever see a POE2 though?

Goddammit why did I have to d/l and install this game again??? I’ve been unable to do anything for the past week, I don’t eat, I don’t sleep, I don’t see anybody. It’s really bad. (Well, in a #firstworldproblems sort of way :) )

The main cause of my current bout of obsession is that I’ve finally gotten my first character through the story. I’m now doing maps, and I’m totally obsessed with my build, trying to perfect it (having found that Orbs of Regret are actually quite cheap in terms of the currency that drops fairly regularly, at least enough to keep fiddling about).

I think I’m nearly there though. What I’ve got going is a Lightning Tendrils/Arc Witch (with Cast on Channeling Support linking the two), and using Inpulsa’s Broken Heart Sadist Garb, which explodes Shocked enemies I kill. Most satisfying indeed. The basic principle is adapted from a build that’s on the forums, except I’m using Orb of Storms to set an AoE Curse with Conductivity on every encounter, which works quite well - instead of building in a purely min-maxed way around crit/crit multi and Power charges from the Orb, and Elementalist ascendancy, like that build does. (My build is doubtless less efficient and I don’t think it’s going to go all the way up the map tiers at all, but it’s still very satisfying, with whole T2-T3 groups insta-popping much like in the guy’s vid - and anyway, it’s partly a theme build, with just an eye on min-maxing. I’ve got a Cyclone build brewing (nearly done the story) for super efficient map running - if I ever have any time to get to it in this league, which is unlikely.)

I’m also going Occultist instead of Elementalist because I’ve been obsessed with trying to wrangle some use out of the Energy Shield. It’s pretty slim pickings, I know (I gather it was the uber thing at one time, but nobody recommends it now), but I found a bit of a game changer when the Immortal Flesh unique belt dropped for me, which has massive life regen on it, which in combination with the Zealot’s Oath keystone (which transforms life regen into energy shield regen) and a few of the life regen nodes, makes the shield “bounce back” in a fairly sprightly way in combat (as opposed to naturally recharging after a short gap, which it does out of combat anyway, and I’ve got that delay down short too, and the recharge super-fast too). I’m also using Mind Over Matter keystone, with Vaal Clarity for tight spots (when charged and fired, it makes you not use mana for spells, which gives MoM a bit more to work with).

So all that, combined with learning (after many deaths, much cursing and carpet chewing) how to teleport behind bosses, I now at last feel I’m starting to get a handle on the game and I’m dying less in maps and with bosses now.

Anyway, probably all greek to those of you who haven’t been down this little path, but I thought I’d share the fun I’m having :)

Here’s the Path of Building Pastebin if anyone wants to have a look and critique this WiP. It just has placeholders for my actual gear apart from the 2 key uniques I’ve mentioned, and some of the skills are out of date (things I was playing around with earlier).

It really is an excellent game, well thought-out and ultra addictive. I particularly love the art style, reminiscent of the hallucinatorily over-detailed fantasy artwork of Keith Parkinson.

As someone coming up on 900 hours, I feel your pain :P I’ve gone through this quite a few times.

just starting for the first time in three or four years. should I jump into the incursion as soon as I see it or should I be leveling up first? I assume it’s okay to start where I see it because they wouldn’t screw me over like that, but I wanted to check.

It might be slightly faster to level without doing incursions but everyone I play with has done almost all of them. Building your temple is a nice little break to the monotony of leveling, although having not played in years leveling straight through the story is likely not as old hat for you. Having all the loot spill out right at your feet is a wonderful touch.

If you’re in hardcore the incursions can definitely end your character prematurely though.

Incursions can be really tough at lower levels, when you don’t typically have the power to mow through the hordes they throw at you. Though if you survive you can get some good gear. You might want to try one and see how rough it is - it’s on a timer so if the mobs are proving troublesome you can sort of run away and the timer will expire.

I’m running this same sort of Lightning Tendrils/CwC/Arc crit build, except I’m trying to create a high-survivability leech/regen version using a Juggernaut, partly to due to my nostalgia for the days of Berserker spell leech. I’m also converting some of the damage to cold to make it a Freeze/Shock setup. Heralds of Thunder and Ice give me scaling, explosions, and curse with Warlord’s Mark (also on CwDT) for sustain. I use Orb of Storms for power charges and arcane surge.

I’m using Call of the Brotherhood to convert to cold, Valako’s Sign for a bit of real shock scaling, and Loreweave for crit and general survival. Inpulsa’s would probably be better, but I really wanted fixed max resists (at 79% right now) for temples this league. I’ve also got a little chaos from Atziri’s Promise and a lucky buy of a 5% extra chaos on my crit sceptre, though there’s no chaos scaling in this build.

The whole lightning-shattering feel is fun. It’s a weird setup and I’m not sure how far I can scale it (unless non-Elementalist shock ever gets fixed up), but I’m enjoying it more than the other builds I’ve run this league.

Further on the above, just discovered the Ghost Reaver keystone, which is a bit of travel down the right, but worth it for the one thing it does. So now I’ve got life regen transformed into shield regen (courtesy of Zealot’s oath) and waaaaay over on the other side of the tree, Ghost Reaver, converting life-leech-to-shield recharge added onto that - again, both of them separate from the normal recharge-after-not-being-hit-and-a delay. Got life leech on my main 6-linked attack (I’m using a staff for that, as Inpulsa’s doesn’t go blue enough). Seems to be another incremental improvement in survivability. Now doing T4s quite handily. (It’s interesting, after a couple of days of great frustration, I seem to have gotten over the hurdle of playing with the right balance of gung-ho charging forward and circumspect observation of all parameters (The shield’s now quite tough and “bouncy” for general knockabout play, but I’m particularly prone to any bleed or poison DoTs, which bypass shield, and seem to be really vicious in this game, so I’ve got to keep an eye out for that.) Dying less now, thank God, though I still get caught out by some new fiendishness GGG have dished out with a new boss on a new map.

Pity I can’t get Vaal Pact as well, which is all the way on the bottom of the tree. sigh

I’m going mad.

This is the appropriate response! Checked my sanity at the door long ago.

Yup, this game is crazy. Always some new subtlety to figure out.

OK. Suggestions on how to price check these gloves? Low sample size on the queries I’m running is making me very unsure.

Searches I’ve tried so far:
110+life, 80+total resists. Two hits, only one with buyout of 12ex. Would love to believe, but seems high?
100+life, 80+total resists, any +str mod. No hits.
100+life, 80+total resists. Six hits, starting at 40c, quickly going to 2+ex.

edit: hmmm… I think I may have been checking w/ 300+ armour, as well… Back to poking some more.

Very nice. I’d keep the price high (I see you went with 15 exa), it’s late in the league so currency accumulation is close to peak or already on the downward curve as more and more people stop playing, so chances are you’ll find a buyer. This is the stage where people like to experiment and there are quite a few str stacking builds to choose from.

I’m not great at pricing, and it will depend hc/sc, but those gloves are pretty great.I wouldn’t pay more than 4 or 5 ex, but they’re nice.

Very high str roll though and I’m sure there are some builds that would take advantage of that that I don’t know much about. If someone playing a str stacking build goes shopping those could definitely bring in major currency.

Yeah, I ended up deciding that the lack of comparable gloves meant I should just stick 'em up there with a high price tag and see what happens. I’m not hurting for cash flow at the moment, so I can be patient.

Speaking of currency generation, exalts are down to 70c or so. Quite a fall from the heady bot driven days of 150c not that long ago.

Going mad indeed! And almost certainly going falling under the trying to do too many things at once trap (most notably not enough EHP!)

Yeah I’ve been feeling that and tweaking more, bumped up the life, mana and ES a bit, foregoing the critical chance nodes, which I don’t need as I have Elemental Overload (which even the basic crit chance and a bit of random extra from gear seems to set off reliably enough) and I’m using 2 curses (one offensive, one defensive) now. Current PoB build. My mistake was thinking that I needed more crit to set off Elemental Overload, but in fact once it’s set off it lasts a good chunk of time during which you don’t need any extra crit chance, so having the extra is a waste.

I might even have to narrow it down to either just curses or just the Shock effect for buffing damage, in which case I’d have to go with Curses for thematic reasons - and then I’d have to look at something other than the Inpulsa’s Broken Heart trick (which uses Shock) and say bye-bye to the booms, as well as probably totally re-jig the tree.

How are you calculating EHP, is there a calc? I found one online but it seems to be out of date.

I was playing last night and the game crashed with some video problem, hard enough that I had to reboot. Apparently it actually crashed so hard that it spontaneously uninstalled itself and I have to redownload it. Is this really a thing that can happen?

edit: oh, when I tried to install it it discovered all the existing files. I guess it only crashed hard enough for Steam to forget I had it. That’s still pretty good though.

It’s a steam problem, not PoE problem. I had a similar case with Warframe.