Path of Exile

I was so pleasantly surprised to see how full the tabs had gotten in Guild Stash. Must be a lot of people playing this league.

I’ve now got 3 characters into maps and one getting close. Dom Blow Guardian, Skelly Mage Necro, Blade Vortex Freezetank, and currently a Soul Mantle Arc Totem 'phant.

Was looking a bit full and I don’t really care about MTX.

Welp, I think I’ve finally hit the wall on Betrayal. Been a fun league, played quite a bit more than I have in the recent past on other leagues. First time I’ve finished Zana’s quest line, even though I needed help for the Uber Elder at the end. The low-life aura guy was an interesting departure, but I’m just not good enough to play something that has to stand still and hit things to do damage, at least not in the top-end boss fights. I think next league I’ll be going back to something with totems and/or traditional minions.

Thanks for the help Bob. Hoping to get back in this week and finish the second set of challenges. Can use my left arm again and should be able to add more active skills.

Glad to hear the shoulder is getting better! If you (or anyone else) would like some help on something in particular feel free to tag me here or PM me or message me on Steam, I’m happy to hop online to help out!

Was really great running maps with ya, Bob. Hopefully we can do more of that next league.

I hear ya on slowing down. Now that the holiday break is over, I’m not on nearly as often myself, either.

Good day to come back. Exalt drop = Kaom’s Heart. Now just need to rework resists and gems.

OK. Confession time.

I’ve been running (yet another) new build (Winter Orb Elementalist) and cruising along pretty well. Doing red maps OK, but struggling a bit on things like Red Elder, Shaper Guardians, etc… I was very confused, as the build should definitely be putting out enough DPS to chew through those without much drama. I spent ages pouring over gear choices, gem layouts, making sure I hadn’t missed anything in the passive tree, etc… Then it hit me. I don’t know what made me think of it, but it hit me. I’d forgotten to do both the Merc and Uber labs and was thus missing 1/2 of my ascendancies. 30 minutes later and that problem solved, my DPS was much, much better.

So, yeah. I’m feeling kinda dumb now. OTOH, it’s Shaper time!

Here we go, Synthesis league. 17 days.

The Betrayal news is interesting: it’s coming into the full game with Jun being a master along side the others (meaning up to 3 syndicate thingies can appear in a map). However, it will not reduce the frequency of other masters.

Self cast is getting buffs although we’ll see how well it goes of course. Two teased (via screen shots) supports are:

Spell focus: repeated casts reduces spell AoE but increases damage
Unleash: Builds up power over time to release multiple spells once you cast it.

And today or yesterday they announced that from now on, when you encounter Niko you’ll get 3 nodes period. This comes on the heels of news of the scarab nerfs of course. But it overall should mean it’s a much milder nerf for people using scarabs. And the rest of us should benefit.

Filterblade is getting a host of nice UI improvements for further filter customization options.

Would you like 12000+ words worth of patch notes? Of course you do.

League starts tomorrow!

And me with career-building things to do and a wife in Mexico. Buncha nonsense, this!

Hold up:

• Added a new Intelligence Skill Gem - Bane: Applies a debuff which deals Chaos damage over time, as well as any linked curses, to enemies in an area. The debuff deals more damage over time and lasts longer for each curse Bane applies.

Have we all been unshackled from Curse on Hit’s long tyranny?

• Added a new Intelligence Support Gem - Energy Leech Support: Supported skills leech a portion of the damage they deal on hit back as Energy Shield. Supported skills also deal more damage while you are leeching Energy Shield and while you are on Full Energy Shield.

Nomic’s Storm in the house!

So… always?

Added a new Intelligence Support Gem - Unleash Support: Supported spells gain seals over time, and are unsealed when cast, causing their effects to reoccur for each seal lost. [Basically self-cast only.]

Added a new Intelligence/Strength Skill Gem - Wave of Conviction: Sends a rolling wave of energy forward in a widening cone for a duration, dealing physical, fire and lightning damage to enemies it hits, and applying a debuff which lowers enemy resistances to the element of which the most damage was dealt for a longer duration. Casting the skill again while a wave is active will cancel the first wave. You can only ever have one wave.

So, I’m thinking to try cycling three damage skills on an Occultist: Bane tri-curse (chaos damage and debuff chaos and lightning resist and build power charges), Wave of Conviction (lightning+fire damage and debuffs lightning resists), and Shock Nova with Unleash (crit and shock.) The unleash spell should build up to 3 extra free casts between when I self-cast it. I might also try swapping Shock Nova for Firestorm + Unleash and switch Wave of Conviction to focus on fire and debuff fire res.

It probably won’t actually work that well, but I’m curious how much Unleash can change spell casting with bigger spells and movement or cycling rather than high rates of casting a single spell in place.

It’s two different modifiers with different values. Both are ‘more’ and quite substantial.

Seems like Occultist will be the meta this time around. I wanted to roll one and go ED because I haven’t played it in forever but I think the gear will be very expensive. Might go trickster ED instead.

It amazes me how much Grinding Gear Games iterates on their design. I haven’t played in a couple of leagues and when I look at it I feel lost… There are so many changes to take in.

For sure. It’s used as a pejorative 'round these parts, but it’s what I love about games as a service. I played Path of Exile back in an early beta and it was pretty crap. It’s gone from that to my all-time favorite ARPG by a mile due to just continuing to iterate and build on the design.