Path of Exile

They might not want you to play… but everyone seems to want to anyway… (judging by the amount of current beta players and people who want beta keys)

People like free shit, DDDDUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Haven’t you ever heard of the murders and assaults that take place while people wait in line for $0.99 sandwhiches at KFC?

If you had to pay for that privilege, as I assume you will on release, you might see a very different trend ;)

Like Kerzain said, people are interested because it’s free. When it’s released alongside Torchlight 2 and D3, etc. that will be a better measure of it.

They say it’s completely FREE (only selling additional stuff that doesn’t affect actual gameplay)

Personally I havent had a chance to take a look yet…(still waiting for a beta key) I may feel different after playing… but I am just saying that they are doing something correct with all the hype and buzz surrounding this game.

They are, they’re employing shills.

At the risk of sounding like a shill they’ve updated it a couple of times since I last played and have reset the passive tree.

um one of these may work (and you will need to be quick)
CDE65-GLGX5-42BT8-SEGJG
CD3VK-7Q8E4-SPG4X-55N87
CDNQ8-7STCZ-2Y2NC-EZR8K
CDRLD-EDG8J-PFSKD-VSDT2
CDREB-NS7TM-7C6PC-RGKQB
CDN26-P8ABV-4E69B-H8RGW

One of the devs just posted them in game

As expected, all seem to be used up already.

All gone. Thanks though.

I just got into this beta today. It has a very loose NDA, you can do everything but post specific values, because they’re likely to change.

They’ve got the basic hack/slash gameplay down cold, and the graphics are surprisingly excellent. Their spec tree is astonishingly large. It’s like a menu at a greek diner, it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on. They seriously need to rethink that.

All skills are gems, which you have to socket, and they level up once socketed. Then you need to notice the gem has enough XP to level up, and click a button to actually level it. Pretty weird.

The game really needs a tutorial to explain all the nonstandard stuff, but there’s definitely something there-- it’s no Diablo3 (I’m in that beta too) but for free, I can see it really catching on.

GGG are running a three hour run through the hardcore instance with prizes for who gets to the highest level. It kicks off in 15 minutes if any of you who are on the beta are around.

sorry

Is anyone streaming it?

Not that im aware of. i’ll ask in game

doesnt look like it.

Pity, although it’s a much bigger loss for the developers then me.

I got in the beta a couple of weeks ago but have only played it a few times. I did spend a lot of today playing though.

It’s a pretty polished game, and I agree with Stusser’s assessment above. I find the environments a bit too washed-out for my taste, but that may just be an old dude’s esthetic coming to play.

I like the skills as gems model, it’s interesting. It brings in another layer of strategy when you get a gear upgrade. You can have a red gem socketed in your chestpiece and get a drop that’s better, but the better item might not have a red socket. So do you do all sorts of fiddling with your gear to move gems around or just keep the gear you have?

The skill tree is a really interesting design also. Everyone starts out in the same skill “web” but at different points. So if I wanted to play a melee guy who had, I dunno, extra minion life and extra staff damage, I could, but it would cost a lot of skill points to get from where the melee dude starts way over to those skills. Whereas the mage (making all of this up) starts a couple of hops away from those skills.

I don’t have any sort of high level concept for my Templar but I’m focusing on one handed damage, extra armor, a little life regeneration and extra blocking. I have an awesome shield bash attack that jumps me to the mob, and I use a frost or fire attack when they’re close. Although at times I can just play ping-pong, jumping back and forth between the mobs until they die.

Potions are handled interestingly also. Your potions are fixed and they fill up as you kill mobs. So you’re not constantly picking up health or mana potions, you just keep the same bottles equipped and as you kill mobs they replentish themselves. In addition, you find the bottles as loot once in a while, and you can find ones with attributes - I have a mana bottle that gives me life leech when I drink it.

Last interesting difference I’ll talk about is their currency. There is no cash in the game. Your currency is (mostly) scrolls of identification. Or one of the five or six other types of scrolls or orbs, all of which do useful things (reroll the number of sockets on an item, improve item quality, make non-magical items into magical ones, etc). So when you sell loot at the vendors you get “scraps” of scrolls and/or orbs. When you have enough, you get a scroll. You can then turn around and buy gear for scrolls or orbs. It took me a while to get used to it but now it feels pretty normal. Because of this design the game encourages you to haul useless “white” (unmagical) gear back to town, because those are the items that sell for ID scroll scraps.

No crashes in a day of playing, and it’s been very solid. As much as I like it, though, I’m trying to figure out who’s going to be playing it when Diablo 3 comes out. The guys who can’t afford Diablo 3? Because as near as I can tell it’s competing for the exact people who are going to drop it like a hot rock when D3 launches.

Damnit got killed on The Ledge so im out. I got to level 9. Someone by that stage (ie 90 odd minutes) had got to level 19 and was almost at the end of the normal play through.

0.96 beta goes live on wednesday NZ time in case anyone is interested.

I have ground my marauder up to level 42. Only 18 more I can play the chaos levels.

Well, I’d be very interested, if ONLY THEY WOULD LET ME IN!!!