Pathfinder: Kingmaker

That reminds me. The speed modifiers in PoE1 and 2 really are a godsend for IE style combat. Does this game do anything like that?

No, and it irritates the shit out of me. Hang on I want to ask about it in the AMA.

edit - Okay, done. I don’t mind not making combat faster (it’s fast enough - in fact it’s kind of perfect I think, right now) but I would love to have double-speed when walking around and exploring or trying to cross from one side of the map to the other.

@peacedog I got an update on this - it is currently not planned. I asked if maybe they could consider implementing it down the road, so we’ll see.

Ohhhh that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

If I hadn’t already kickstarted this, I would choose not to purchase it over that.

People trust the AI? I have never trusted the AI.

This is correct.

The only good way to implement this was in PoE2, which let you script your own stuff, and even there it’s got some limitations. I didn’t expect something as sophisticated as an AI script type of deal from a Kickstarted project, especially one of this scope.

Even in the BG games auto-attack was all I ever let my party do. And this game does have that, so that’s all I need (personally).

I have a feeling a lot of folks are going to forget this isn’t a AAA game when their favorite/assumed feature isn’t implemented and get pretty upset… :(

I’m such a sucker for top down isometric RPGs. I don’t know anything about Pathfinder, that being said, will this be a challenge to get into? I’m so on the fence right now. Fanatical has it listed for $31.99, but if this is a buggy game, I’d prefer to wait out a few patches.

This looks like a cool RPG, trying to do an excellent mechanics transition in the vein of ToEE (except RTWP)? No idea it was being made.

This relies on the subreddit moderators doing some work (including CSS I think). Quite a few larger subreddits have done so (e.g. Path of Exile)

Glad to hear you like the speed of the combat. But I do like to slow things down occasionally (I play most PoE1/2 fights on fast but sometimes it’s nice to slow down). And like you I love the increased speed in exploration.

And I want to be clear ont he AI front, I am in fact talking about a scripting system.

I don’t disagree with this - Pillars 1 didn’t get it’s until well after release, recall. But people are potentially going to feel hard done after Pillars, 2 especially, did so many things well and then Kingmaker doesn’t. On the one hand, Standards are a great thing. On the other, we’re talking about A/AA games. It’s easier said than done and these teams simply aren’t large enough/in possession of enough resources that this is the sort of thing we can just assume will happen.

I remember one of the Baldur’s Gates I ended up with a very poor reputation and couldn’t figure out why, and it turned out one of my companions was somehow set to go around sniping neutral characters, so as I had gone around a temple, he had proceeded to kill a lot of people, thus tanking my reputation.

Do you have any experience with D&D 3.5 or D20 systems? Did you like Pillars of Eternity? Have you or any member of your family ever seen a spook, specter, or ghost? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you should be fine here. It’s a very deep system. Moreso than Pillars 1/2 IMO. But it’s not something that is necessarily difficult to get into. It is difficult to master.

Yeah. I sympathize that the devs probably didn’t have the resources to do everything they wanted. But there’s going to be times where I wish I had something in place. What Obsidian put into Pillars 2 was quite good, in fact. I might even go so far as to say the game spoiled gamers in a lot of ways.

What Obsidian put into Pillars 1 was fine, and that is the minimum I will accept to play a game of this type. I am not willing to micromanage a bunch of dudes through fighting every giant rat. So if there’s no AI, that means I’ll end up playing on the easiest mode and just have most of my guys autoattack. And that sucks.

Hold the phone!

From Steam: This game contains references to fantasy drugs (potions), alcohol, sex and sexual acts (no direct visualisation or nudity), along with visual gore effects. Storyline contains adult content.

I’m in.

But you won’t need to micromanage fighting a giant rat, because giant rats are easy and auto attacks will work fine for that.

This is for damn sure.

On harder difficulties, my expectation is those giant rats will gnaw your legs up to your groin if you sit there and autoattack. Or at least hurt you badly.

Anyway, most fights aren’t marquee battles. If hard difficulty non-boss fights can be finished with autoattacks with no issues with attrition, that’s still boring as hell. I want to see my wizard and cleric casting spells, my fighter using whirlwind attacks, etc.

For me, at least, that record is still held by the opening area in Fallout 2. TOEE is a close second, though.

Anyone know if you can play this game with just one character (like you can Pillars) ? Its how I want to play anyway and would remove the AI issue. Or is it tuned for parties only?

Cheers!

It’s tuned for parties, but I’m sure many will try the solo-challenge. If it’s doable or not probably depends on your level of patience and willingness to min/max as well as (I assume) drop the difficulty down. I can’t imagine you could win some of the fights with over a dozen enemies on the screen with a single character. Any one of them rolling a 20 with an attack is going to be a bad day.