Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I expect full, detailed analysis and testing by the time I get home from work tomorrow, Scott. This includes every spell and feat, active or passive, in the game, along with commentary on all drops.

LOL well, I’ll do what I can. :)

Yes, I want videos for every class and prestige class plz so I know what to play. :p

Console ports are the worst for this.

Like Nioh. 80 GB. For no reason whatsoever.

Or any Final Fantasy port, which is usually in the same ballpark (I think XIII is like 70 or 80).

20.9 gb download, preload is now working

I played the beta as well. It looks like it will play well. So many options and a good engine (we used to say that in the day).

My wonder is that it will be a full game tomorrow. I am betting they’ll patch it for the next few weeks in a furry of “I hope it will sell well so lets get to it”

Pretty standard Realtime party rpg… with a lotta details. And if you think I am being negative thing again: I hope they have it down.

So regarding pre-loading issues. If I thought I successfully preloaded early this afternoon, should I delete it and try downloading it again, or am I probably okay?

If I were you, I’d blow it completely away and either do it again or skip pre-loading if you have a decent connection speed and download it post-launch and avoid the decryption stuff. I’m skipping pre-loading, myself, just in case.

I downloaded the preload quickly. It says it was 20.9 GB.

Now that it’s in my Steam library, all I can do is stare at it. It’s got its Taunt skill working. Or Mesmerize, or something.

I’m thinking of going Ranger, but the problem I always run into in DnD 3rd Edition with Rangers is I never know what to choose for Favored Enemies. I feel like that’s not something you know how to make a good choice on until after you get a good feel for the world and what sort of enemies you’re likely to run into. Any thoughts?

Awesome. I literally lol’ed when I read this. So true.

Two quick notes: there are more enemy types in Pathfinder IIRC, but never mind that . And I can’t recall if D&D did this in 3.5 or not, but in Pathfinder at each new favored enemy choice level you pick a new set of favored enemies and choose which if your previous choices gets a +2. I seem to recall it being more flexible in Pathfinder, but I haven’t looked at 3.5 in ages.

People who have played the table top might be able to chime in with some advice as well.

Frequently encountered enemy types: Human, Undead, Magical Beasts

Still very good, higher level typically: Evil Outsiders (there are many more of these in Pathfinder I feel like)

A bit more campaign specific: dragons, aberrations

I kinda doubt this choice: extra-planar

The good low level choices, e.g. Gnoll/Goblin/Orc, are often very campaign specific. And I can’t speak to this campaign.

Thanks @peacedog. I forgot about that change to favored enemies in 3.5 where you had more flexibility on where your bonuses went when leveling up. That was a really great change that made your initial choice of favored enemy much less important (and I think it also made role-playing sense).

You got me to dig out my 3.5 Player Handbook :-)

I think human is always a “useful” choice. However, while I’m not seeing this in the handbook, but I seem to recall that you’re only supposed to do that if your alignment is “evil” (maybe that’s a 3.0 rule that they dumped for 3.5 — it kind of makes sense for role playing, but as a counter argument, you could imagine something like a Bounty Hunter or for that matter “the Mounties always get their man”). And either way, I’m not sure if makes sense for the type of ranger I would want to role-play.

One thing I liked about the beta, is that even though I only hit level 3 (and only just hit level 3, not much play time after that with any save game) I saw a very wide variety of enemy types. I think if you pick the obvious stuff, like goblinoids or beasts, you’ll be fine if you want early game advantage with that ability.

I’m trying to decide on what to play, myself. I watched a really interesting video where one of the companions was leveled up from Magus to Dragon Disciple and that intrigued the shit out of me, but I could also do that with that very character, so for my own guy… not sure. I love pure-mage, and it’s my first play through for a lot of games like this, but I have a few other ideas kicking around I’d like to try, like a dual-wielding rogue or a half-elf monk. I’ll have to review the Pathfinder rules a bit this morning, maybe read up on changes to the classes - I’m only passing familiar with stuff up to level 3, after all.

Doesn’t a dragon disciple require spontaneous arcane casting?

Even if so, at least one Magus Archetype provides it, if the game implemented that one

So, I guess the companion must be an eldritch scion!

He actually is an Eldritch Scion, which I don’t know anything about but I remember wondering what it did when this guy was going through the video, so that explains that! He mentioned he felt it was the direction the character probably goes by default (like if you have auto-level turned on).

Here is the video I was talking about. This guy is doing great work, as far as I’m concerned, and it’s worth watching some of his content as while it’s a pretty old build and he’s using cheats to level up past what the beta normally allows, it’s a good way to get some ideas and learn what is in the game at least at the time he recorded.

Cohh Carnage is streaming this now.

That is what I want to hear. Or at least until Nov. 7th because I have a lot to do until then ;-)