Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Finally got here in my backlog. Dang, this game is great. Started playing yesterday and suddenly 9 hours went by.

I love clearing fog of war on maps. There’s just something about it. Deeply satisfying.

Ho ho ho me and you both!

@NI1 thanks about the stat thing. That actually helps, a little bit.

You have got to be f(cking kidding me!!

The game apparently only uses one set of “quick saves.” I was on the second level of Vordakai’s dungeon when I noticed Varnhold’s Lot was on sale. Bought it, created a new character, played it for an hour, and apparently overwrote the quick saves used by my main play through, putting me back at an autosave right outside the dungeon.

If you take regular backups, check those. Windows file history, or an actual backup program. I do both.

If you don’t take backups, well, you should really start doing that. File history is extremely easy, you plug in a USB3 drive and turn it on and windows just handles it.

That’s odd - I remember all saves, even quick saves, being stored under the character names?

EDIT: I just loaded up Pathfinder WotR and it stores saves just like I remember Pathfinder doing it - each set of saves, including quick saves, is “per character” so you might just not have noticed you can expand next to each character name.

No, of course I expanded the tree structure per character. There were only three saves, all auto, for that toon. I think installing the DLC and kicking it off was likely the culprit.

Edit: so I reloaded the game and my Varnhold build’s quick saves were gone too. So I checked settings to see if there was something in there regarding saves and sure enough there are sliders for the # of quick and auto saves. Quick was set to 3. Mystery solved.

Good deal, at least!

I really want to pick this up on Xbox but as usual I read a shitty port job was done.

If nothing else, the load times would be intolerable. They’re bad on a PC with an SSD.

Kingmaker loads pretty fast on my PC. Maybe 5-6 seconds?

The load times on Xbox discourage save scumming and make for a more realistic RPG experience.

On the Series X, the load times are very fast.

This is my experience on PC as well.

I found the load times very bad initially. They are definitely much improved on a Series X.

I finished the Pitax chapter. I think this is the chapter where they try to kill your kingdom but the chapter isn’t very long and if you’re proactive you’ll get only like 5 or 6 really bad kingdom cards at worse and they give you a nice kingdom boost after you finish to make up for them. (hint: explore the Pitax region as soon as these cards show up ASAP)

I think I discovered where the difficulty in the game mostly lies:
-Not random encounters on the world map which become piss easy by lvl 3.
-Not world map side content locations
-Not even most chapter encounters

+It is → The chapter capstone “dungeons”. That’s it!

Mainly Vordakai’s tomb, and now Pitax Palace, but the Stag Lord Fort, Troll ruins, and Bloomverse also apply. To a more or less, lesser degree.

Outside of these locations the game is not challenging, at all. Currently playing on Challenging.

The challenge of the game varies according to your character builds. If you’re following a guide, of course the game will be easy.

If you don’t understand Pathfinder that well and just select the recommended feats on level-up, it would be more challenging.

Well if we are going with “following an expert guide” versus “mindlessly selecting recommended feats” as the two points on the how the game may become more difficult spectrum…I am neither. Having played D&D 3.0/3.5 and many CRPGs since Baldur’s Gate…

After chapter 6 is there just a very long period of Kingdom management? (Over 1 year). The over 100 days I had left before the next Bald Hill attack after taking Pitax and now having another 280+ days until the next “heavily hinted” final attack…

I haven’t explored the far west Thousand Voices side of the map yet because I’ve taken the stance that I won’t explore/go to an area unless there is a call to action to do so.

You should! There’s goodies there.

… and baddies.

I get the feeling it is just an extra optional side area then, but suspect also not.

Sort of. You’ll get there in the final chapter. But it’s a large area you can pillage for XP and top-tier loot. By the time the game sends you there you won’t have time to explore because Crisis

I just run the bag of tricks cheats and set all travel to happen at 10x speed, so it takes a couple hours to run across the entire map. I also set all kingdom events to resolve instantly (which in effect still makes me wait for 1 day).

Oh, and I also turn off encumbrance and exhaustion. People bitching constantly about needing to lie down pisses me off.