Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Yes you can! :)

THIS IS AWESOME! Kingmaker is a good adventure too! So cool!

Tom might have configured the discussion board so that new users, or users with very few posts, cannot start new threads. So your account may only be allowed to reply for now.

This game is going to be real-time. What does it matter what ruleset it is based upon? Or is there a core book titled, “Pathfinder: Real-time Edition”?

[edit]

Also, according to the press release, Chris Avellone is just “helping shape the game’s narrative”. Whatever that means.

Because the underlying ruleset will, in part, dictate how they do it in real time?

To say nothing of the fact that the kingdom building will be based on a particular set of rules in the same system?

So, “it matters a good deal” I think.

Perhaps the same way using the D&D ruleset mattered to Baldur’s Gate?

I wish he would go back to actually making games and not just selling his name to whatever company makes the latest generic fantasy crap.

But the result wasn’t D&D. It was “Real-time D&D”. They’re not the same thing.

Yes but it is a facsimile, and BG is recognizably a D&D game even though it isn’t a straight port.

21 years ago me has more thoughts on this if you want to invent a time machine and then go talk about it at csipg.rpg.

It was pseudo-real time. The mechanics of the game was still entirely based on combat rounds that were triggered at set intervals.

If you’re trying to go all hipster maybe you should wail about it not being pen and paper.

AFAIK, Kingmaker wasn’t released 21 years ago.

Are you drunk?

I believe you are very much mistaken. It was a straight up port of 2nd, with saving throws, thaco, spelling casting time requirements. Although it felt real time, the game was divided into rounds. Things like drinking and potion or casting a spell would only happen during the characters turn in the round.

In fact, you could even set the game to pause between rounds.

It doesn’t matter if actions are executing in increments that are described as rounds or turns. What is important is that that execution occurs in real time. It’s a fundamentally different experience from true turn-based combat, even with pausing, automatic or otherwise, and it’s not faithful to the way the tabletop rules work as a result.

I’m not sure where @Yack_Attack is going with his argument but that much is true.

[quote=“malkav11, post:35, topic:129836, full:true”]
It doesn’t matter if actions are executing in increments that are described as rounds or turns. What is important is that that execution occurs in real time. It’s a fundamentally different experience from true turn-based combat, even with pausing, automatic or otherwise, and it’s not faithful to the way the tabletop rules work as a result.[/quote]

Yes, this is all 100% true. Like I said, it was a “facsimile”. Just like this game will be of Pathinder. It is what it is, it’s not like anybody here gets a say. But it’s also still true that it will be recognizably “Pathfinder”, the way BG is recognizably D&D.

Hopefully we will still get a TB game from Obsidian at some point.

But isn’t that any game that takes a table top game and automates part or all of it.

Yes? I should think that’s obvious, although I wouldn’t use the term automate personally. Put another way, Temple of Elemental Evil “automates” dice rolls but I don’t think you’re thinking about that when you use that term (and certainly, ToEE is a closer port of 3e than say Icewind Dale 2. But it was also closer than Ruins of Myth Drannor, for different reasons). And I don’t think Baldur’s Gate was real time because Bioware thought it would be better to “automate” turn tracking. Anyway changes when porting a ruleset from one medium to another mean you wind up with something similar, but not the actual thing. That’s also true of e.g. books to movies/tv shows. Or any piece of media translated into another medium.

I’m a little confused about pnp 2e. What if more than one character can perform more than one action (max 5) in one round? Does each character perform all his/her actions sequentially before moving on to the next character? Or are all of the characters’ actions interleaved such that character 1 performs action 1, followed by character 2 performing action 1, followed by character 1 performing action 2, followed by character 2 performing action 2, etc. etc.?

How does this process work in BG?

Certainly no videogame adaptation of a tabletop RPG is going to fully capture the experience of playing it at the table, since there are far more constraints on your freedom of action in the software environment, and there are some features that generally wouldn’t translate well or be relevant. But there are still degrees of faithfulness and moving to real time is a big step away from being faithful to the source material.

Arguably videogame RPGs are better off not trying to emulate a ruleset designed for a completely different environment, mind you.

Actually, the characters don’t act at the same time. You can tell this most easily with spell casting, when even if you pause the game and give out orders for multiple characters to cast spells, they won’t all start at the same time, instead they go in order of initiative + casting time (something that 3rd edition dropped).