Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

Still haven’t beaten the game once, not even with my 20th level kineticist who’s at Threshold.

But I did quit my throwing axe monk build for a Sword Saint build centered around Death’s Consonant, a +4 bardiche/relic that can be built to use Int instead of Str for attack/dmg bonuses. At this point though. . .man am I tired of clearing out demon armies. For this run I put the Crusade difficulty on its easiest so I could get more troops per week and just clear it all out ASAP.

Created a elf sage sorcerer (Int instead of Cha) who’s neutral evil and going to take the lich route.

I think I might need an intervention.

Remember, undead benefit from high Charisma in place of Constitution.

Whelp, too late for that bennie, Zedar the Apostate is 7th level.

I might have to try this again. Never finished, though I got into the third act or so a few times. Just got overwhelmed by constant overland slogging, corruption, etc. Even using the toy box cheats to fast-track the boring stuff it got too much. I am still intrigued though by all the possible combos of characters.

EDIT: Looks like they don’t want me to ever finish, either. Cannot download it from GOG any more, as it hangs at 92% and even overnight will not budge. Sent in a support ticket so we’ll see what happens.

This is on sale again for $42.49 and there’s some more free DLC that adds more character customizations -

Have to say that the city of Alushinyrra as an evil, Demon Mythic Path, character is definitely more enjoyable than during my first run through the game. And, in general, I think I love turning those party members I can to the dark side. Don’t know how it’ll turn out in the end, but it’s certainly a lot of fun right now as I’m nearing wrap-up on the Abyss.

This is going to end up being my GOTY, barring some wacky turn of events or me getting to play a better game in the next week or so. Despite all the hiccups with patches along the way to today, it continues to shine through the rusty spots.

I agree. I honestly think this is the best Baldur’s Gate 2 successor we’ve ever seen.

People keep talking this up and I keep wanting to try it but I keep hitting the same problem. I’ll just quote myself from a few posts up thread:

I’ve started this three times but keep having issues with getting paralyzed by too many choices, too much OCD/AP/min-maxery. Normally I love super-crunchy munchkin games but this game just passes some sort of threshold in my brain that induces paralysis.

So, I’m looking for ideas for a main character and party selection that meets several goals. I’m willing to play on fairly low to moderate difficulty to make life easy, so raw character power is not the only consideration. I’m looking for ideas for main character and party selection that:

1)Requires as little micro-management as possible. This includes as low a reliance on buffs as can be managed, as well as no use of pets or mounts. I want to keep things as simple and micro-free as possible. My normally munchkin-brain can’t handle it in this game.

2)Will avoid any major “self gimping” or big holes in necessary abilities, etc. Will also avoid any big stupidities in character development, etc.

3)Has builds that are pretty simple to remember and follow so that I don’t have to go crazy with 47 classes and weird “dump stat” BS.

Basically I’d like some tips for a straightforward low-to-no-micro, easy to build, “fire and forget” type of party. I’m flexible on melee vs ranged, and spells vs attacking. I’d prefer a Good alignment but am not 100% wedded to it.

Additionally, as I think about it, I also want a party that can take onboard the various story NPCs to do their quests, so maybe I want a 4-5 member “Core Party” with room for additional NPCs as the story demands. Is there a good selection of 4-5 Main Character + NPCs that would cover the main bases, satisfy my criteria above, and leave me to room to do the story quests for all (or at least most) of the NPCs?

I guess I should add what I’d like is a relatively straightforward “outline” of what I’m looking for, or links to sites/articles with that kind of info. People had some tips upthread but when I tried to implement that, I felt it was too thin for me to go on; I need a bit more than that. Also, most of the suggested tips didn’t really address the “low-to-no micromanagement” part of my request. For example, I’d like to avoid a ton of buffing. I am aware buffing can be automated with mods and in theory I can do that but… when I think about that I just go, “nah, not gonna play.”

Normally I love super-crunch min/max-craziness games but with this game, the plethora of choice paralyzes me. Make it easy it for me, folks. Tell me what to do, in broad outlines, and I’ll give this another try.

Really, go with the basic archetype, say a fighter, rogue, or wizard so you don’t have to learn much. Play on a lower difficulty level. Build out your party with other characters that fit and balance out the skills. You are very much overthinking it. Sure, there are a badzillion choices, and tips upthread already went over a lot of what can be done, but if you want to avoid all the micromanagement and buffing, then all you need is a lower difficulty. Bam! You’re good to go. It’s how I play and that’s why I’m having a blast with it. I don’t have to sit and agonize over levelling up, even though I do all the work manually for every character (because it helps to learn them).

Seriously, as soon as you lower the difficulty enough, the rest of your choices (as long as they balance your party) barely matter. And you can swap out the NPCs as you need without too much concern. My own parties that I mentioned before are balanced and meet every one of your criteria at lower difficulties.

Yes, I think playing something else might be a good idea. Not sure you’ll be happy with this game.

I would avoid playing as a fighter though, simple because of how hard it is to build a solid character with all the feat choices. A Paladin is probably a far more straightforward choice. Or a Barbarian

Got this to run, installed Toy Box and BUBBLES and am following a build guide (evil Sorcerer aiming for Lich) this time. Or might do a Trickster.

Hard to not micro in this game due to the ascension paths. My bloodrager was relatively simple until he became a demon and gained like a dozen spells and abilities every prestige level.

I’m playing a fighter right now (Dragonheir Scion) and doesn’t feel hard at all. But since I said to lower the difficulty at the same time, that would take care of any troubles anyone may have building their character with feat choices.

A comic strip I drew and later submitted in a competition on the WotR Discord managed to win 3rd place, netting me a code for the DLC season pass. Thought I’d share it here:

Finished … finally! I’d been playing on and off since it came out.

The last couple maps of this game were a complete slog. As I wanted to move on to other games, I ended up just turning everything to the easiest setting for the last bit and playing for the story. So sue me, at least I finished this one (unlike Kingmaker where 5/6 of the way in I just stopped coming back for some reason.)

There was one bit of those last couple maps that felt tacked on, as if someone said at the last minute, “Remember that guy at the start who’s in all the ads? Uh, shouldn’t he turn up again?”

I quite liked the end-of-game wrap-up for the world and the companions, though. Some other CRPGs have done more polished or more moving ones, but this one felt, well, comprehensive. It reflected my actions, my alignment, the stuff I forgot to do (diplomacy, who needs it?) And it had a lot of fun little details, like the Commander going barhopping with his old buds. And after the war, my mimic recruits turned to a life of piracy, arrrrr! Complete with their pirate ship being a mimic.

Congrats! I saw that on the Discord.

It’s really great.

The unfortunate thing is that Kingmaker did it twice as good…

I’m wondering if something is borked with the Crusade advancement in my current game. I’ve come out of the Abyss and regained control of the Crusade. But I noticed my Military stat is still at 2 and there has been nothing to Rank Up for Military even though I have way more points in it than is needed. Is there something that triggers the next state or do I have to install something like Toy Box in order to change the flag on it?

I do have a crusade card from Yozz asking me to visit but it’s been there since early on (i.e. before I even cleared the Fane) and doesn’t go away no matter how many times I’ve gone to the Citadel. I reported it as a bug a while ago.

Thoughts on what’s supposed to happen so I can get Military back on track?