Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

Sure for min-maxing, but if you want a Samurai vibe, Bastard Sword is closer to a Katana.
And since Sword Saint gets a weapon without a feat, it’s not a terrible way to go since you aren’t wasting a feat.

Again, great advice, and thanks!

I would argue a dueling sword is closer to a katana.

Dueling swords are everything and intentionally made vague so they can be everything, imo.

They are sabers, they are short katanas, they are small swords, they are scimitars, they are messers, etc.

Edit: But the original intent was, by most accounts, for them to be a short katana-like weapon.
Elven-curve blade probably meant as a larger katana.

Speaking of dueling swords. No spells in this build, but you could definitely get a samurai vibe going with it.

Sharing a new strip I drew:

Because on a world countless lightyears from our own mothers still use Royal Dansk cookie tins to store their sewing supplies.

Nice work! I like the style.

Yay.

I think you said you didn’t care about achievements (?), but that’s a pretty crazy one to get. Steam shows only 0.1% of players have it! So congrats!

No more than 75 rests?

Oh no, I farm achieves on games I like.

My log shows 29 rests, but the in-game counter is closer to 23. So it’s not tracking some of the rests I am.

This was actually pretty easy to get and you could probably get it accidentally. I’m sure both Unfair and especially Last Azlanti are much, much harder.

That said, I really pushed myself to accomplish as much as I could between rests which made things rough. I cleared Drezen without a rest, including the inside. Midnight Fane without a rest. I cleared the Abyss with one rest, but I had to rest two more times to trigger companion quests.

I was a sorcerer / lich, so that helped in that I had a lot of spells. What didn’t help was a STR of 7 and rolling with Daeran and Nenio who are also weak. Who cares if everyone is -6 STR and DEX as long as they can still move? Well with -6 STR my MC, Daeran and Nenio couldn’t move. Oh cool, the Skeletal Merchant! Do I really want to browse his wares at the cost of 3 Restoration scrolls? Hrm.

So yes, lots and lots of Restoration scrolls. Scrolls for lots of things. If you can burn paper instead of a precious spell slot, do that. Lots of potions too. I bought out most vendors of all their cure potions.

This post details what you need to kill. You can get the achieve pretty early in Act 5 – you don’t have to beat the game.

Just killed the dragon at level 10 with my Sword Saint, which is the lowest level I’ve ever managed with it. No Greater Heroism to buff the party with, so I tried other spells and they failed badly. Everyone failed their check except for my SS, who stood his ground and tanked that dragon into an early grave. Went Trickster route, using the Branch of the Last Ash bardiche, which uses Intelligence for your attack and damage, and he was heavily buffed with blur/displacement/shield (~40AC). A few lucky crits and that dragon went down.

Congrats!

I kill that dude right away. He’s so annoying. When he ambushes you, if his initiative roll is higher than whomever has Protection from Energy, Communal memorized, that’s a reload.

Heh, I scatter my party, just run them in all directions. A few usually survive, at least long enough to end the encounter.

Attention!

I just picked this up after seeing it in so many end of year lists. I’m currently playing through Tyranny, which I’m liking, but not loving, because I’m not really loving the combat. It’s sort of confused and blobby.

I also picked up Kingmaker, because both were on sale.

So questions. Will I be able to figure this out if I know nothing of pathfinder rules? Should I pay Kingmaker first so that I can properly appreciate the improvements of WoTR? Should I abandon Tyranny (I’m nearing the end of act 1). What do I need to KNOW?!?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Do you know basic Dungeons & Dragons concepts? If so, pretty easy to pick up. As for character builds, that’s really the first and final boss of Righteous, but since the game’s been out for almost five months that’s an easy search to find something that sounds appealing to you.

I really liked Tyranny. I thought it had the best magic system I’ve ever played.

I usually suggest people play Kingmaker first because at this point it’s fully baked whereas Wrath is still being actively patched.

One of Wrath’s biggest improvements over Kingmaker is its UI and in the way it gives a lot of contextual assistance with how the Pathfinder mechanics work.

That said, Wrath still won’t let you sort by total item weight. A stack of 100 potions will be sorted as .5 pounds instead of 50. Kingmaker sorts this correctly.

If you play wrath, it’s tough to go back to Kingmaker.

This is likely very true for most. I never finished Kingmaker, loaded up the latest save of my highest level build and it crashed within minutes. Uninstalled the game.

I replayed Kingmaker last month and loved it!

I’m probably the exception though…