Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

This is very much the way to do it.

Which mostly makes sense from a storytelling angle. Something is happening that needs dealing with after months of basically nothing going on. You don’t decide now is the time to tour the kingdom and check out that place out East.

I look forward to launch where I can reminisce about the attack on the Defender’s Heart being hard as fuck even on Normal.

I don’t know about anyone else, but after watching recent YT videos on the beta, the character building option potential in this game has my RPG juices flowing. Having never played Pathfinder, I had no idea about the AP this game is based on or the mythic system it’s going to incorporate.

weeping GM noises

The min/max builds for this game are going to be insane.

I assume more people like this stuff than not, it seems pretty popular from what I’ve seen on the Pathfinder forums (the video game, not the pen and paper forums or anything)?

I played a mythic PC in Pathfinder once. With moderate amounts of system mastery, I made a character that required me to write a formula on a notecard in order to be able to calculate how much damage I did on a crit. I crit a lot.

Sounds like a system that might be much better in a PC game than a PnP one, based on that.

Slayer weapon style lets you skip bonus feat pre-requisites and mythic weapon finesse lets you sub dex for strength. Legendary keen elven curve blade + mythic weapon finesse + mythic power attack + sneak attack dice gets crazy fast.

I agree the character combinations look bonkers. And super interesting.

Unfortunately, the way the Internet works, when the game launches someone will post a video of a party that has everyone use a super cheesy build that lets you cruise through the game and I will be tempted to play that.

So yeah, apart from batshit crazy totally game-legal balance stuff that @Chris_Gwinn was talking about (which, trust me, was awful to try to GM around – it really exacerbated PF’s already-substantial problem where it’s very possible to build perfectly great RP characters who are noticeably less useful in combat than others, taking it to its logical extreme, where encounters that were challenging for the badass Champion Path Mythic Characters were super unfair, one-hit killers for the social-focused characters), Mythic Adventures also happened to release in what I consider a particularly low point for Paizo as a publisher.

Their editing got increasingly sloppy and haphazard (lots of really silly typos, broken/nonfunctional rules that needed to be errata’ed almost immediately, etc.), and their ongoing support for new rules systems was really diminished. They’d drop a sourcebook with a cool new category of rules, a couple of PF Companion 32-pagers and an Adventure Path campaign that featured the ruleset. . . and then never mention it again. So you’d get something potentially very cool like Mythic, which had all sorts of great, albeit poorly implemented, ideas, the AP would show some of the potential for it, and then rather than expanding on those ideas or correcting the missteps, they’d just let it die on the vine.

It was a really frustrating time to be a PF GM. In retrospect, their product pipeline had outgrown both their staffing capabilities and the financial realities of their diminishing sales in the face of 5E, so it makes a lot of sense, but I always wished they could have gone back and “fixed” this stuff (see also: Occult Adventures, the Advanced Class Guide classes, etc.).

The upshot of the videogame is that they get the chance to take the cool, core ideas, and substantially tweak them. Going with the game’s more origin-like Mythic Paths instead of very genericized Mythic Paths of the book goes a long way toward infusing them with flavor, and I’m already seeing really great balance changes from the Owlcat folks that would decrease that “usefulness” gap I was complaining about above. Of course, given that last time around, Owlcat’s character-balance-tweaks seemed almost completely divorced from their game-mechanic-balance-tweaks (changes to encounter design and enemy stats, especially) at launch, there’s no guarantee that the changes they make to Mythic stuff will be helpful if they go and muck around with other game systems simultaneously. Hopefully they test all of that better this time around to avoid the major problems Kingmaker had at launch.

Also, yes, having the computer go through the convoluted math of exactly how many times your Strength bonus gets multiplied when you Crit with a Keen Heavy Pick while Mythically Vital Strike Power Attacking with an Overhand Chop on your Two-Handed Weapon fighter, versus relying on your player to keep 9 spreadsheet tabs running on their Surface they bring to every game to help with the math is a huge boon, hah!

That was a great read, thank you!

jesus christ

Have I ever mentioned that I suffer from severe PPFSD (Post Pathfinder Stress Disorder)?

Sounds like Pathfinder.

The only pen and paper Pathfinder campaign I ever ran I definitely encountered the problem where half my players were effectively useless and half were demi-gods in comparison around level 11 or so.

About the only thing I could think to do was very “gamey” and involved dropping some really powerful gear only the useless players could equip (class/alignment restriction that just happened to be for the weak players, what are the odds?). Was actually pretty effective.

Fortunately in a single player game one person is leveling all the characters so you can expect at least some uniformity in their effectiveness.

Owlcat post the available romances. After I blew my CP2077 romance by thinking Panam was down, I really appreciate this. Though in PFKM – unlike CP2007 – the NPCs tell you right up front whether they’re interested or not. I assume Wrath will do the same.

Wrath romances -

Lann - female
Wendaug - any
Camellia - male
Daeran - any
Arueshalae - any
Sosiel - male
Queen Galfrey - any

Are they picking up any of the traits or other options that the mods brought along?

I use my system mastery for good instead of evil - I can take all of the ridiculous social and RP abilities without weighing down the party if I can make myself effective with just a couple of choices.

I heart all my tabletop homies, even if I haven’t actually played tabletop in years and years.