Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

Just got a backer update that this is coming to console later this year!

The absolute worst part of kingmaker was the kingdom management. It looks like some of that is still in the game it seems. I sure hope its toned down and they do not waste too many resources on it.

Some of the footage in that clip is from Kingmaker, fyi. That threw me for a bit also.

Release date is Sept 2nd, btw.

They posted it the other day, but with all the holiday nonsense I forgot to post it here and no one else did.

I thought about it a few times, but I wanted to get official confirmation. The closest I got was the reply on Discord I showed you the other day.

From what I have played of the current build (from early May’s Beta 2) I can say the first chapter is in excellent shape and the second chapter was a fun way to start the army management stuff off, though a lot of that was still a bit early in regards to the army combat UI - it was still really cool though, think “Heroes of Might and Magic” and I enjoyed what little I tasted, but I decided to bail before I could see too much.

Given the beta contains most of the game (I think only the final chapter was held back from the latest beta build) that’s a lot of play testing, so I have a lot more confidence this will ship in great shape vs. the state Pathfinder was in (which had an early access that only covered the first chapter). Turn based mode looks tight (with only one exception being the lack of an obvious way to use 5ft of movement vs the entire move action - I figured it out with the internet’s help but it was pretty frustrating for a bit there), the visuals are excellent, the sheer amount of variety not just with the classes you can roll up but also the (from what I’ve seen, excellent) companion characters, the encounter design, cut-scenes, the story itself all seem incredible, so I think this will probably end up being something I want to play again and again over the upcoming years.

Now that the game has gone out for pre-orders, with the three different levels, it’s made me think, again, how happy I am that BG3 was delayed. I have more time for games like this if I want to jump in right away.

Which brings me to my question: is this at all related to the first Pathfinder: Kingmaker game? I plan on getting back to that game on my new system, since it was incredibly unstable on my old one. However, I expect that despite being nearly 80 hours into Kingmaker, I don’t think I’m even close to making it through yet (based on chapters that others have mentioned). But, if the games aren’t related, it doesn’t matter and I can play one or other other, even concurrently, and it would not have any detrimental effect.

As an aside, what are opinions on the different level bundles and pre-order bonuses? It would seem like the base game and the season pass (for the first two DLC) would be the best mix of deals if you don’t care for the in-game items and digital extras (which amounts to $27 CAD, seems excessive). But, I always argue with myself because I also find gaming to be some of the best return on the investment of any ‘media entertainment’ outside of books.

Games take place in same world/setting but not directly connected. I think I read that Wrath may have some small references but essentially compartmentalized experiences. Can’t wait!

Steam showing September 2 for release. That’s proper release, not Early Access, right?

I’m very much here for this.

Proper release!

I’m gonna give a day to read reviews and then jump right in. Kingmaker is the best isometric RPG since BG2, if they don’t mess up badly the 2nd should be another a great one.

Disco Elysium is the best RPG in 20 years. But Kingmaker is more similar to BG2 so I can see that.

The vast majority of the game is very good. That ending though, urgh. And it is way too long. Everything after Pitax needed to be compressed and steamlined to oblivion.

Disco was a point and click adventure/visual novel with some RPG elements for me, I wouldn’t put it anywhere near Kingmaker or BG.

Agreed that the ending was not great and it’s one of the main things I hope to see improved in the next one.

I would put it high above BG and Kingmaker, in the same lofty realm as Planescape: Torment.

Also, it’s an RPG. I suppose you could argue it is an RPG with adventure elements but not the other way around. There isn’t many puzzles, like, at all. But there is some inventory item usage I guess. Nearly everything is done via skill checks / dice rolls based on your character attributes. This means capital RPG.

Visual Novel? Yeah, I don’t play those. I think this is a bad handwave because there isn’t any combat.

Gentlemen, this is the war room.

But… I want to jump into this discussion and scream about Disco Elysium!!

OK, fine.

Wrath of the Righteous looks good but I have a few obsessions/biases based on the issues I had with Kingmaker:

Does Wrath of the Righteous have timers of any sort, especially hidden timers? (I hated those with a great passion in Kingmaker)

Does Wrath give the player good information on threat levels BEFORE the player sticks their head into a noose?

Does Wrath have well designed NPC party members whom even a semi-munchkin player would be happy to have in the party?

Of the three the timer question and the “oops I fell of a cliff without warning” difficulty question are the biggest questions to me. I mention the NPC question but that’s not really a deal breaker.

This didn’t happen. But maybe it should.

It did, in my head (by me - I HATE Disco Elysium with the hate of a thousand suns.)

Sounds like a character flaw.

Yes. In the Kingmaker NPCs. Did you see the crap-tastic design of some of those NPCs? Jesus wept. Munchkins sobbed in their oatmeal. It was horrible.

I won’t defend the Kingmaker NPC companions. I think they were overall…par (subpar). But the end game sours that naturaly. Lots of salt.