Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

Mythic Enduring Spells and Greater Mythic Enduring Spells straight break the game. Oh, what these 1 minute party buffs or self buffs that are balanced on rest? They last 24 hours now? Sure, why not.

Bug testing this mythic system must have been a straight nightmare.

That is a good point! In that light, my use of atheism is off-base. Maybe it would be more my inability to devote myself to an entity like that. Or maybe I wouldnā€™t? This actually provided some very interesting food for though, so thanks for the comment. :)

Now hold on, I think Atheism could still work. Look at Ember and her arguments that Gods donā€™t care, and arenā€™t worthy of being worshipped. You could go all Arthur C. Clarke, and argue that gods are just extremely powerful beings.

Also, being devoted to a god that can literally tell you that you are doing it wrong, that might be a bit much. Could you imagine if you were a Conservative Christian, and Jesus shows up and tells you that you are doing it all wrong, and have the ability to smite you on the spot or kick you out of the program?

Anyway, Iā€™m looking over the classes, and maybe the Shaman is the way to go. You get pretty neutral spirit buddies, you get a pet that you can hang out with, and you get some skills.

Ember seems pretty useless after around level 10.

Everything is immune, and if itā€™s not immune it resists. She has SP and GSP.

Lore friendly Ember is supposed to go all fire based mythic path and not really utilize hexes in impactful encounters. I have grown to prefer Daeran who can easily enough pick up an animal companion with the nature mystery to add to his buffbot/healbot status.

I usually also give her dazzling display but to your point I donā€™t think the treant would be impressed by that either. It would be impressed by mythic scorching ray.

Fire nuker + great utility is what I used her for. She throws out a real mean Searing Bolt or whatever the name of that L2 fire spell is. By L15 she was probably my most reliable DPS once I started bumping into a lot of mini-bosses that had stupid amounts of AC. Lann had a higher ceiling but youā€™d just get those AC70 guys that he struggled to land a hit on, even with all the feats/mythics. Ember meanwhile had no problems with touch AC and spell resist at that point for me.

She wasnā€™t a pure nuker of course. Pretty decent array of support and heal spells and that sort of thing as well. I wouldnā€™t quite call her my Swiss army knife but she was definitely handy in multiple ways.

Keep in mind her hexes are basically a replacement for firing a crossbow.

I donā€™t know about you, but I donā€™t expect much when my wizard fires a crossbow at someone.
Hexes are a lot better than the crossbow. Stuff like Misfortune basically always lands even if itā€™s just for a round.
And then you can Cackle forever if youā€™re so inclined.
My crossbow that only hits on a 20 never takes a bruiser out of a fight. Slumber was regularly at level 19 removing CR 18+ enemies whoā€™s Will save wasnā€™t high.

Or she can Hellfire Ray people down with fire spells that ignore immunities and resistances.

That Blinding Ray from the Wizard has been pretty nice. 8 uses per rest is a decent enough replacement for the crossbow, at least at the start.

I feel like things swung wildly from one of the spectrum to another in my first playthrough where I got to Act4 and L15. Early on my spellcasters were pretty much garbage and Iā€™m not talking about the typical low-level wizard weenies in D20. The combination of spell resist and DR/immunities just made any offense from them almost negligible. Meanwhile, my martials were carrying the day.

That really flipped and swung the other direction. Once I had all the spell penetration and ascended element stuff the casters were melting and my martials were whiffing away hoping for a 20. Maybe an 18 if everything aligned, had smite evil running, etc. Lots and lots of whiffing, meanwhile Ember was melting face.

Yeah at higher levels casters take off. Lich especially.

Doing 300 damage to an enemy in melee is nice and all, but doing 300 to everything easily wins that competition. It takes resources, but I have all the resources for the most part.

Mythic Spell Penetration basically makes me forget SR even exists.

I tried your 2h slayer suggestion for fun. Even at level 5, it is hilarious. You get a cleave! And you get a cleave!

Yeah itā€™s basically a non-factor at that point. If only there was a mythic ā€œignore that ridiculous ACā€ for martials. :)

I have to say, though, my least fun-times was my original Herald Caller. Ugh, I hate those summons as a Good-aligned character. A bunch of them are morons that just want to stand around shooting lightning bolts at demons. Demons. Come on, you celestial twits, surely you know by now that Demons are immune to your lightning spells? Go hit something with those swords you have strapped on. Idiots.

Summons in this engine are traaaaaaaash.

Good news: Nobody bothered!

Thought Iā€™d spend a little more time this evening trying to salvage my save. Still get the ā€œGreybor keeps becoming my main characterā€ issue when I try to level him up or rest in Drezen. Thought maybe instead of trying to level him up I would go to Hilor and see about a full respec. When I do soā€¦ no Greybor is available. Heā€™s definitely an available companion, though. I hired him and he shows up in my character list in town:

This is really unfortunate timing because Iā€™m right at the point where I need to go on the mission Greybor was hired for. I could cheat my way through that mission despite him being a Level 0 / 1HP nothing but Iā€™m worried about the state of my save in general. Iā€™ve gone back through several older saves and I havenā€™t found one yet that doesnā€™t have this issue now that I know it exists unless I go waaaay back. And considering I already restarted because I hated my Herald Caller, Iā€™m not sure if I have the stomach for retreading the ground yet again.

Iā€™m really annoyed because I haveā€¦ I donā€™t know exactly how many but Iā€™ve sunk a lot of hours into the game and now itā€™s looking like I may be torpedoed by yet another Owlcat bug. Iā€™m kind of facing the sunk cost fallacy where I want to continue to salvage this because I already invested so much into it but Iā€™m not sure where itā€™s gonna get me.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how I might fix this please hit me up. :)

EDIT: I think I may have been able to do enough surgery with ToyBox to get around this. Documenting here in case anyone else runs into something like this.

Greybor was in a weird state where the game had him flagged as L0 character that also was a level 9 Slayer somehow. The rest of the party was L10 so I went to the Party Editor and granted him a level. This immediately bumped him from L0 to L10 Slayer but it didnā€™t take me through the usual screens when leveling someone up. I then hit Reset (on the Greybor entry of the party editor) in the Toybox UI and went back to Hilor where Greybor was now showing up as available person to respec. I did so and was able to choose his L9 (where I hired him, I believe) to L10 progression. I then rested andā€¦ my MC is still my MC. Fingers crossed that itā€™s fixed and that none of you run into this bullshit. If you do, hopefully something here helps.

Iā€™m hitting the positive flip side of this. I have one main save just before Drezen (yes Iā€™m playing slowly). Plus Iā€™ve played around a little with two other ideas and have them saved somewhere in Act 1. If bugs or real life conspire to have me put down the game I will have gotten my moneyā€™s worth already.

The bugs are frustrating but the game also feels a lot more ambitious and Iā€™m ok with the trade off so far given my experience with Owlcat and P:K.

Fun new bug: Blade Barrier is literally a wall. You hit it and bounce off.

Extra fun: An enemy near the end of the game casts it across your path and blocks the fight.

It lasts like 20 minutes.

I guess I can win the fight with only ranged and then watch a youtube video waiting for this spell to expire?
Or pray point Dispel Magics feel like killing it today.

Between this and my undead guys constantly being forced into rages which no spell can help with because you canā€™t cast emotion spells on undead (theyā€™re immune), add on dying as undead means you canā€™t raise anyone because undead and not being able to rest, this last area is quickly becoming a House at the End of Time level of shitshow.

Thatā€™s some clever fixing

Well, I beat it.

While the last section was almost as janky and bad as The House, it was a hell of a lot shorter, so that made it a lot easier to deal with.

There are definitely some big issues. Honestly the worst thing is probably the Crusade stuff in Act 5. It just becomes too much. I ended up getting the auto-win mod because I didnā€™t want to spend literally 10+ hours moving little pieces on a board to get to the end of the game. And I think 10 is probably being generous. Just piles of demon armies everywhere and so much stronger than you are, which means literally passing time to get enough troops to maybe beat them.

Still, overall it was pretty dope and Iā€™ll probably fire up a new game shortly, if Iā€™m honest.

The untested stuff near the end really shows though. Like just silly stuff.
ā€œHere is a random mook, his AC is 82. His Touch AC is 68 because his natural armor works for touch. There is no reason for it, it just does. Heā€™s way tougher than the boss next to him. Or any boss in the entire game. This random, nameless demon dude standing here that youā€™ve killed dozens of.ā€

Edit: I played the whole thing on Core and other than buggy sections and the mook, I had no real issues with combat. Sometimes things were crazy tough, but I had crazy answers. Also I used the Slayer Capstone to one shot the last boss, which is hilarious to me. Impossible to fail Fort check. Rolls a 1. Dies on turn 1 before anyone other than my Slayer Archer has done anything. Possibly the most D&D/Pathfinder moment ever.

I find this kind of thing scattered around the game and Iā€™m not really a fan. In the shield maze they introduce you to tough optional fights via the Water Elemental. I donā€™t have any problems with that in theory. In practice, some of my hardest fights have just been weird bullshit they throw your way with no warning and they end up being a lot harder than the Big Bads. That was my experience up through a chunk of Act 4, anyway.

Iā€™m more than cool with really tough optional areas and optional bosses but I donā€™t feel like they give many cues or hints that thatā€™s what youā€™re going to run into. Many of them Iā€™m not even sure theyā€™re supposed to be that nasty and theyā€™re just absurdly overtuned.

I like the game quite a bit aside from the bugs but I also pretty strongly dislike a fair amount too. I get the feeling that the people over at Owlcat would make for some really atrocious DMs if playing tabletop!