Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

Thanks, will try that. Sounds really useful.

–Todd

Also, even if the “replies” menu on each post isn’t removed, it’s only one step towards a hierarchical arrangement. You can see the replies to your post, but you can’t see the replies to those replies.

My fear is that any design philosophy which claims to be “the best of both worlds” will end up being inferior to an experience designed solely for either world. Sort of like Metro.

Can I just say, I love this attitude, Tom.

This sounds like it has great potential to achieve that goal.

Timeline and some instructions here.

Hah, yep, happened to me too. Luckily habibi replied to my very adult and serious topic on the test forum and reminded me of the existence of spam folders.

So, my email has a dot for example, [email protected]. I hope that’s no issue. I would imagine someone else might have some underscore or some funny character. Discourse will have no problem matching those right?

Habib this might be interesting for you:

why-the-dot-in-your-gmail-address-doesnt-matter

Thanks interesting, Nesrie. Thank you! I have been lied to all these while! /shake fist at Google!

I had no idea either until someone showed me that article. I didn’t realize there was a difference between the e-mail services in that area.

Whoa, I didn’t know that either. You learn something new every day. Thanks, Nesrie.

-Tom

Someday you guys are going to learn about putting a + in your gmail and it is going to blow yo minds.

Holy shit. I had no idea. I get snickers everytime I hand out my AOL account e-mail at stores and online retailers. It’s my spam e-mail… gets like 100 ads a day and some spam. Clearly there is a better way.

Oh but Google tells me unsubscribing is a pain with the + . Is that true?

I’ve probably relayed this anecdote here before, but some companies are either getting wise to, or fully unequipped to handle a + in email addresses. The IT guy at my utility company was right annoyed with me after the phone reps couldn’t figure out why my account didn’t work after a week’s worth of troubleshooting :)

Heh. I don’t actually use it - gmail built-in anti-spam plus the occasional user-created “this user (or domain) is never allowed to email me, ever” addition has kept my inbox perfectly usable after more than a decade of sole use.

As someone who has to take some troubleshooting between our system and random stuff that shows up between us and the vendors, I can appreciate that. My manager had to use his personal email address to even sign up with one of our insurance companies. It was like it was blocking on all the .edu addresses or something, and he knew it would just be faster to do that than get our exchange server staff to figure out what was keeping the registration e-mails from coming over.

Er, elaborate please!

Aw man, I was really hoping that I could just drop a lmgtfy link, but this was like three down the page and the overall results weren’t nearly as coherent as I’d hoped.

Ta, for the record, I tried googling first! :)

If pagination can’t be a thing, at the very least I’d like a manual “load more” button at the bottom of the page, so that I can be in charge of when the size of the page I’m reading is suddenly going to change.

I literally don’t even know how to reply to this. Are you terribly sensitive to the vertical size of the page currently loaded in your active browser window?