Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

Dissing Bioshock isn’t all that controversial these days, surely? (I couldn’t even bring myself to finish it last year, when trying it for the first time ever). If you want to live dangerously, I think the only real option is talking trash about Witcher 3.

What is this “discord” things kids use these days?

It’s just a TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Mumble - voice chat room type thing, as far as I can tell. I’ve joined one and used it to chat about while we played a game. The group I was playing with uses it regularly for LOL gaming.

I challenge you to a nationally televised debate. It will be like Donald Trump vs Bernie Sanders. You get to be Donald Trump.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but if I were pressed to name the best game of all time, I would pick Bioshock 2 for a whole host of reasons that I will explain during our debate.

-Tom, Defender of the Holy Realm of All Things Bioshock

Confirmed: With the move to discourse, Tom is ressurecting the random qt3-member gamechat podcasts!

I stopped playing Bioshock right about the time the protagonist found a random syringe on the ground, jammed it into his arm and careened off a balcony.

I believe discord also offers slack-style chat room functionality and integrations.

I call that Saturday night.

Bioshock Infinite is just too CoD and dumped down! Burn it down!

Why don’t you join this handy-dandy Qt3 Discord group and find out what all the kids are talking about (and on):

It WILL be archived along w the rest of this vBulletin instance. It just won’t be imported into the new Discourse boards.

“Hey let’s reinvent IRC, but as a phone app!”

Also, it’s name clshes with Disqus and Discourse, and it talks about wumpuses. I’m very confused.

One of my sons is permanently on Discord. They jump from voice and text chat room to voice and text chat room. One to mess around, one for those playing Overwatch, one for when they jump into a League of Legends match, an oubliette they send those who are being annoying, … it’s streamlined, resource efficient Ave really flexible. If you need a new room, just add it.

I’ll have to come visit the Qt3 version one of these evenings.

Between that and Discourse, it feels like we’re all being sent forward in time from the middle ages. :)

I always thought of Discord as a modern alternative to things like Ventrilo (which I always hated) and Mumble, but I guess people use it for text chat too.

Exactly. It’s a mix of both types of chats with good moderator tools. I was impressed when I briefly tried it. But no one in my regular gaming groups uses it.

That’s what I get for not having enough (or young enough) friends.

Wendelius

Well I’m not exactly a spring chicken, but I ditched my private mumble server for Discord.

Now there just needs voice channels for different games and the Discord server will make it easy peasy for QT3 gaming.

The thing that makes me antsy about services like that (Slack included) is that they are hosted services. So, while it’s free, it’s not really necessarily always going to be free or available. Is Discord hosted or can you run your own server?

Has anyone here tried Curse? I think it has a main channel and then you can set up subchannels for particular games.

Same with Discord. They are called Rooms.

Wendelius