Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

Was that his understanding, or how it is? There’s no difference between a ‘front page’ comment and a forum post. They’re all on the forum in Discourse.

Easy enough for someone on the test forum or Wumpus to clarify if you can set a ‘userlevel’ requirement for posting on certain forums.

Front Page Forum: Level 1
Rest: Level 2

Vetted account is thus, someone with Level 2 access.

And for making posting on the front page as easy as possible I suppose the use of Single-sign-on from other account platforms would be preferable, whilst still offering the chance of making a LOCAL account (as we are using here on VBB).

Yeah, if you can flag a specific thread topic level 1, level 2, that could work. All front page threads can be flagged Level 1, but you need to be promoted/vetted to Lvl 2 to post elsewhere.

Yes, that can be done. Not sure how they plan to implement it, but Discourse also has optional anonymous user accounts.

You can only switch to anon as a registered user. Permissions are at the category level.

So…

A) All front page commenters have to register.
B) All front page threads would have to be in a single category, instead of dispersed amongst subject appropriate categories.
C) Registration to the board in general would have to be auto-approve to level 1.
D) Non Front Page Categories would need to be at a higher level, to restrict drive-by posters from participating elsewhere until vetted.

So sounds like having the front page threads be their own category, then?

This is super cool, thanks for passing this along! I set up an extra +qt3 to my e-mail here, and reset my password to test it and I now have a new category called QT3 that is where mail from this page goes. Super handy! Keeps my inbox free on my phone, but I’ll still see updates. Neat.

I hope the new software supports +qt3 in my e-mail address…?

Tell me, do you bleed?

Dear god what have we started…

I hope someone makes a cheatsheet for all the shiny new features Discourse will have. The most advanced thing I do on vbulletin is quote someone in a reply…

I suspect there will be years worth of “wait, how did you do THAT?” type of questions. Just like there are at Qt3 with images and doing spoiler tags, etc. Luckily Qt3 denizens are very helpful and patient.

Posts can be set up as wiki pages, so I am sure there will be a sticky wicky (I’m aussie, I couldn’t help it) that will be community edited over time to have a bunch of tips and trick easily collated and accessible.

This now fixed!

I am sure Clay will push the fix to the test forum when he has time for testing!

https://meta.discourse.org/t/possible-bug-replying-mid-thread-marks-rest-of-thread-read/45198/3

Posts can be set up as wiki pages

This is awesome

Amazing turnaround. Does it get pushed to all Discourse automatically? Truth be told I’m actually interested in hosting my own Discourse forum for the condominium I’m living in, as a form of encouraging a community of itself and this thread (exposure to Discourse) have actually escalated my interest in doing so.

No, you need to update the software-- it should send you an email when a new update is available.

I’ll rebuild it right now – that should cause Discourse to pull the latest commit from github.

For the record, it is really easy to install. The Docker container makes it a cinch, though I did not get around to actually configuring the instance (a local VM in this case). I wanted to test the mail list feature, but then it was enabled it on the test site!

You can try regression testing your bug on the test forum now – I just rebuilt it (update on steroids), done from the command line. FWIW, I have the email routing through Gmail and Sparkpost at the moment.