Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

Plus it would be awkward timing with so much E3 stuff left to discuss!

I try to communicate via email but my emails go unanswered for 24 hours! I’m just sayin’ man!

Sorry I just checked, only 16 hours.

It doesn’t work for me. I changed my email on this forum and the new forum doesn’t recognize my new email or my old one when I try to do a password reset. I’m not sure what to do.

Yes, I would think delaying the migration until after E3 is over makes sense.

As long as the email that you have on this forum is correct, you will be good to go. The test migration forum has email addresses from 1+ weeks ago. Everything there will be wiped out.

Either way – don’t panic. if the actual real final migration happens and you cannot log in, an admin can change your email address for you.

So if anyone is not able to log into the system after the migration for any reason how do we let an admin know? Will there will be a way to contact in the new site?

Might be a good idea to have the procedure listed somewhere visible.

Then you start butting up against the Steam sale.

I can’t find an option to do so on the migration site, but maybe I’m just not in the right spot. It’s not a huge deal anyway.

The admin will be my email address, which remains [email protected]. I can help anyone who has issues with their accounts. Which shouldn’t happen so long as you make sure your email address is current!

So the migration will be the last week of June. We’re still figuring out the specific days. The forum will have a cut-off point – announced well in advance – after which everything posted will be frozen as part of the archives when we shut down vBulletin and activate Discourse. That period of a few days will be sort of like Snapchat. Is Snapchat the thing where everything disappears after a day? Or is that Instagram? I’m pretty sure it’s not Twitter. At any rate, we’ll still be able to talk over those few days, but the conversation won’t carry over into Discourse.

I’ll post in the announcement thread once we know when that’s happening!

-Tom

Yes, we will have a four day period to post ALL the dick pics.

I don’t think you guys “get” snapchat. Oldies.

When did you change your email? The test migration forum was based on the forum as it was about 9 days ago. If you changed your email here after that, that forum still has your old email.

They basically take a snapshot of the forum as it is at one point in time and get to work on converting the content.

Everything that happens here after that is not part of that snapshot.

Wendelius

Ah. So WhatsApp then? We’re gonna be WhatsApp’ing each other, right?

How come it takes 4 days?

Because there is so much data to convert and massage. And then you need to check it and clean up any issues. I’ve worked on many data migration projects over the years and they are not as simple “just move it over”.

This is a 1 shot migration. It needs to be done right.

If only we had some kind of system that would show whether the poster has a history of having high quality posts. Some sort of metric where people could mark the post as being of good content. I call it the “appreciate” system. I’m still working on the name.

The ‘Acknowledge’ system maybe?

Acknowledged.