Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

The Patreon logo I have noticed ONLY appears at the bottom of their web page. The top of their page actually matches the top of Qt3 (and looks a helluva lot better than the dumb icon, either of them, did imo).

Interestingly… their favicon is inverted in colors…

It also didn’t roll a natural 20 anymore. Sad.

I’m pretty sure it did; it’s just shot from the side this time :)

So, their primary logo is now a single line.

While I don’t mind showing that I’m a supporter, I think that razgon makes a good point.

I actually don’t really like having a little symbol on my icon showing I’m a supporter. Not strongly enough that I’m going to do anything or even really complain about it, I just don’t really like it. But I’ve always been the guy that hides out on the back row in class and never raises his hand. Stop looking at me!

I mean I’m a ludicrous over-the-top extrovert and I think it’s a little showy. Also I’ve got a weird disembodied eye stuck to my shoulder (mobiile) / armpit (desktop) and that’s uncomfortable.

edit:

New avatar means it’s just clinging to my elblow!

No, it’s the same as the top of Qt3.

Compared to their old logo, they seem to have exchanged the original symbol with a line.

Can we start a Patreon campaign so that Patreon will change their logo to something that interacts better with our avatars?

I like the Eye. Although I think for my avatar it looks like Rebecca Ferguson is sitting on the logo.

I’m a beret guy myself, and actually the cute cuddly tapir is on top of that poll right now!

If you guys don’t want to be singled-out as patrons, can’t you just change your registered email address? If you use gmail and your address on the forum and Patreon is "[email protected]", you can change your forum address to "[email protected]".

In my opinion, the best of all possible worlds would be

1. Separate user preferences to show or hide the icon branding and title branding
  2. 1999-era Katie Holmes waiting for me at home tonight

Probably could, but then I look like the jerk who’s to cheap to throw Tom a few bucks each month.

TWIST: T Cruise is there, too, jumpin’ on yer sofa.

I mean right now you mostly just look like a Zoidberg who’s about to hungrily gobble up Tom. The horror!

I can see Razgon’s point. Discourse has been fine but I often miss the ability to turn off avatars that vBulletin presented. I know I can do it now with CSS modification or 3rd party scripts but it is not quite the same.

On vBulletin the site was so clean since signatures were not allowed and I could natively turn off Avatars. That let me focus on what members were actually saying rather than whom was saying it. I focused more on the content of each comment. The overall site was mostly text at that point and was discrete and elegant. The best part of QT3–intelligent minds conversing about games–shined through quite well.

Please don’t take this as a criticism of Discourse, mostly just a humble opinion; also I am a nobody here. :-)

More customization is always better, as long as you don’t overwhelm the user with options. It would be great to get the option to turn off flair, avatars, and titles.

Now, regarding the Qeyeball flair. Where should it be located?

• Current location, overlapping the avatar in the bottom right
  • Offset a couple pixels below the avatar’s bottom right. Not overlapping.
  • I didn’t watch Dawson’s Creek and thus have no opinion.

0 voters

Another bug for you @wumpus, the rightside WYSIWYG rendered the italics inside the poll correctly, but they don’t work once posted. And since it’s a poll I can’t fix it.

The eye is good.

I think it should be after the name, before the Patron! text title and not obscuring the avatar at all. Doesn’t sound like that’s currently possible though.

Love that idea! But yeah, don’t believe it’s possible.