Paul Le Roux, programmer turned kingpin

Remember how abruptly TrueCrypt was discontinued? Paul Le Roux, the guy who was said to have stolen the source code from SecurStar while still employed there, was also “the former head of a prescription drug, weapons, narcotics, and money laundering cartel [and] has been cooperating with the D.E.A. since 2012” and has apparently been linked to a bunch of even shadier activities. Makes McAfee look relatively tame by comparison.

Ongoing investigative journalism series on atavist.com: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 (and more to come)

Amazing read, especially if you don’t know what you’re in for, so I don’t want to spoil it more than I already have. Think this is the appropriate subforum for it.

Part 4 is here. That’s some serious journalism there.

Loving this, thanks for posting it.

It’s long, but it’s amazing.

+1. Incredible articles – eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Thought of this story when I saw this article on an arms shipment captured by the French Navy off the coast of Somalia. No evidence that it is connected that I can see (the guns were going to Somali Al Qaeda groups, they say), but it’s fascinating to think about the kind of machinations that are wrapped up in this kind of business.

Part 5 is up in case anyone missed it.

I subscribed, there’s a complex movie to be made here.

Damn, there went half of my Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware of the Atavist. Now I am.

And it’s TOO complex for a successful movie. But the writer does a good job of juggling the players in a way that you don’t get too lost.

You could almost see this as a real life Breaking Bad TV adaption.

Hmm, given the love for previous Atavist articles maybe this collection would be good?

Oh nice, thanks for the link. Pre-ordered.

Speaking of, I finally got around to reading that book and at least four of those Atavist pieces in the book are truly outstanding. This one for example:

Glad I supported them with the book purchase.