Paul Newman dead

RIP. This is sad.

AP Link

I suspect most remembrances of Newman will cite his more famous/popular roles like Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid or The Sting, but the role that marked him in my eyes as a great actor was when I was forced to watch “The Verdict” back in high school. I had little interest in law or lawyers prior to that, Newman’s quiet desperation as an attorney in that film left a lasting mark on my view of the world. He was a great talent.

Think I will have spaghetti and salad tonight with his sauce and dressing.

Don’t forget the lemonade. I always drink that stuff; it’s good.

And for the perfect homage, you could always put it in a pic-a-nic basket.

I was never a big Newman fan, but he is a pretty indelible figure in movies, and was in lots of quality films. I would probably put Butch Cassidy and Cool Hand Luke as my favorite of his movies that I’ve seen, but there’s a lot that I missed.

Not unexpected news, but sad and sobering.

That’s sad, and I didn’t know he was that sick. For a while his food stuffs were donating proceeds to the CF Foundation so we switched tobuying them and dscovered we liked them a lot better than other brands (especially his Salsa).

My favorite actor of all time. I will mourn him, though we’ve known for quite a while that this was coming soon.

The man was just brilliant in such things as “Cool Hand Luke”. I wish a lot of today’s young actors would go back and watch Newman and others do their work, maybe they’d learn how to not just play themselves (I’m talking to you, DeCraprio).

Dahlia Lithwick has a pretty great Obit at Slate . I was not aware of the breadth of this charitable activities.

Cool Hand Luke is still so incrediby good it is not funny. Seems like a Collectors Edition DVD of some sort just came out.

RIP

Don’t forget The Hustler. Forget the sequel with Tom Cruise, though.

That movie is my first introduction to Paul Newman. I’m probably not the target generation to really experience his cinematic contribution but I do acknowledge his involvement. He was great in Butch Cassidy.

I suppose it’s about time for me to catch Cool Hand Luke.

Even better: see Hud and read the Pauline Kael review.

We need a movie club system that lets us immediately add a Paul Newman film.

Sad. I too will be eating spaghetti tonight.

I figured this was coming, and it really bums me out. Newman is probably my all-time favorite actor and one I’m really going to miss seeing on the big screen.

Is he the guy who made Newman’s Own salsa? That is some damn good bean salsa!

Actually, I loved him in Slap Shot.

Just watched butch and sundance a few days ago…
'Who ARE those guys?"
One of the few movie endings that I cried the first time I saw it.

Cool hand Luke is worth it for a lot or reasons, the biggest being hard boiled eggs.
50 eggs in an hour…it is gross(but cool) to watch. Really one of the great rebel movies of all time.
So, I’m boiling 2 eggs for you Paul, and I’m gonna eat them real fast-at least one an hour.

He’s just as well known because of his auto racing exploits. His team won two races in the IRL this past year. Robin Miller can tell you more…

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-paul-newman-an-american-original/

RIP, P.L. Newman.

I saw Butch Cassidy on TV when I was a kid. Not long after, I snuck into The Sting in the theaters. What a pair. If we don’t get a Newman flick for the next Movie club, it’ll be wrong.