Paul Newman dead

Newman was also a very good director, I urge you to see Sometimes a great notion with Henry Fonda.

What a sad sad news. He was like the incarnation of manhood to me.

This is like 1987 all over again.

RIP, Paul Newman.

The Hustler was fabulous, but The Color of Money was a very decent movie in its own right. Sure, the taking on a young protege angle may have been a cliche, but Newman played the role of an older, world-weary Fast Eddie Felson wonderfully. The story, Cruise’s performance, etc. - all were adequate, but to me, the movie is about Newman nailing what Felson would be like 20 years after The Hustler.

Just watched Cool Hand Luke again on Turner Classic movies. With him gone, well, it was just good all over again. Even with the overdone Christ figure symbolism the movie still holds up spectacularly.

Of course now, I have had three beers and have to get up in 6 hours and go to work in the morning like a dutiful one income household husband. I am afraid my sticking it to the man is going to have to be done more covertly.

puttin’ on the foil, coach.

Watched The Verdict for the first time today. Found it hard to get past the comically inaccurate depiction of legal process, even by courtroom drama standards. Even allowing for dramatic movie tropes like “surprise witnesses”, the treatment of Costello’s testimony makes zero sense, both from a legal and a tactical point of view. We’re also supposed to root for Galvin, even though he commits half a dozen crimes and multiple ethical breaches in the course of the movie.

Still, Newman’s performance was good, and it’s always fun watching, or rather listening to, Mason.

Well, you could have gone out and cut the heads off of parking meters…

Looks at post…looks at avatar…dies laughing

What the hell, Paul Newman is dead??

(Oh good, it’s not just me)

Yes, but this time was much less painful.

Damn it guys. One death is enough!

I find it hard in PW too, but at least it’s generally played for laughs

Can we please not “Necro” the RIP threads 10 years later?

Hey I didn’t know Paul Newman is dead until I saw this thread.

I just mourned him twice because I forgot he died.

This also made me a lot more sensitive to the families of people with Alzheimer and dementia. So thanks for necroing a thread and utterly ruining my day you jerky jerk face.

RISE_zpsf636aa19

Oh, I know, I love those games.

I saw the thread title and yelled out to my wife “Paul Newman died!” She was also shocked.

I think I did that last week with Roddy Piper

What the hell, Roddy Piper is dead??