PBEM Games

Anyone know of any good PBEM games, something not incredibly amateurish? I’m in the mood for some turn-based fun while I’m at work.

Poops

age of wonders 2

Laser Squad Nemesis - and if you’re up for some WWII-strategy: Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Dominions (certainly not amateurish – in fact, downright ‘hardcore’).

And LSN is cool too, though it’s turn based in a different way.

I’ll second that but you may want to hold off since “AoW Shadowmagic” is coming out soon, which is really AoW2 “Enhanced Edition” but full-priced and stand-alone.

I’ll second that but you may want to hold off since “AoW Shadowmagic” is coming out soon, which is really AoW2 “Enhanced Edition” but full-priced and stand-alone.[/quote]

Anyone know if there is going to be a rebate for AoW II owners? Otherwise, they just might have to bite me.

Combat Mission, anyone?

I’ll second that but you may want to hold off since “AoW Shadowmagic” is coming out soon, which is really AoW2 “Enhanced Edition” but full-priced and stand-alone.[/quote]

Anyone know if there is going to be a rebate for AoW II owners? Otherwise, they just might have to bite me.[/quote]

The devs haven’t mentioned any such thing that I’ve seen.

Reminds me of Red Orb and Warlords 3: Reign of Heroes and Warlords 3: Darklords Rising. Same scenario: full-priced expansion. Red Orb did actually include a coupon for owners of W3: RoH to get a free T-shirt . :roll:

Combat Mission, without a doubt.

SMAC, at least as far as I remember, because we’ve been waiting so long for Denny to take his turn. :wink:

If you like war games, The Operational Art of War is great for PBEM. I’m in the middle of a game now, in fact. I don’t recommend it with the larger scenarios, though.

Troy

I should fire up TOAW and go for more PBEM.

The only large scenarios I found that are worth playing are Brian Topp’s. I played a couple of those as the Soviets (and won), and while there were a lot of units to play with, the use of formations and their color differentiation made it easy to keep everything straight.

I also like the fact that TOAW is a proper Windows application (as long as you remember to set Win2k application compatibilty mode when playing under Windows XP. Makes it easy to mimimize).

Uncommon Valor is pretty good, but it takes a long time to play. And I got my ass kicked in it. And the interface annoys the hell out of me.

LSN is really cool - I became a subscriber a week ago, and I’m still having great fun! I really recommend it. It’s called simultaneous turn based, but that is no hindrance from playing it at work ;)

www.youplay.it

Try Blue Max, a hex-based WWI dogfighting game that features simultaneous movement.

Cartagena is also there which can best be described as a strategic Candyland.

Yeah, SMAC is fun if people play their turns. coughDennycough

;)

We’re about to find out in the other ancient Qt3 SMAC game if you can actually continue playing once a player is eliminated. Apparently, if the game’s host goes down, the game will end if he dies. We know that already…now we’re going to see if it ends when a different player is eliminated.

–Dave

This is apparently a known bug. Eliminating a human player in any PBEM SMAC game is impossible: the player has to eliminate himself or the game ends. See

http://www.civgaming.net/smac/acad_elimination.shtml

Shakes fist in the air REYNOOOOLLLLLLDS!

Ah well…after two years it had to end somewhere.

–Dave

Shakes fist in the air REYNOOOOLLLLLLDS!

Ah well…after two years it had to end somewhere.

–Dave[/quote]

Two years? You can maintain interest in a game that long?

Yes. So can Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Andrew Bub, Lee Johnson, Jason McCullough and Dean from this board.

–Dave