PC crashing randomly, BSODs, hot GPUs, I got it all.

Removing the Intel RSTe drivers did not fix anything still crashing.

Will try Prime95

Sounds like your internal heat issue was likely caused by a combination of dust-clogged CPU heatsink and an older GPU that simply runs hot. Glad that seems to be better and is probably not the cause of your crash issues.

I’d agree with Papageno, run Prime95 for a second opinion on your RAM, or, if you have access to a second set of compatible sticks, just swap it out altogether and see if the error remains.

If RAM isn’t the culprit, it could be drivers or system files. Have you tried opening a command line (with Admin rights) and running System File Check (type “sfc /scannow” at the command prompt)? If not, try that and see if it reports any corrupted system files.

Try running with the cover off, then loop 3dmark and see if your GPU still overheats. If it does, the GPU cooler isn’t performing properly and you need to either clean or replace it. If it doesn’t, your case needs better ventilation.

If your CPU doesn’t get over 75C at load, it’s fine.

Thanks for all of the advice, I will try the RAM test, and the system file check, but if that fails, I am just going to turn it into a PC shop to have someone diagnose it. I don’t have spare parts to swap.

Reading about the issue online, it is either bad files, (easy fix) bad memory (easy fix) or bad mobo (not so easy, and very expensive fix)

SFC fine

Prime95 fine.

:(

I hope it is just a dying SSD.

Well, crap. How long did you let P95 run, a couple of hours (or at least to the point where you usually get a BSOD, I trust)?

What are the rest of your system specs like?

Yeah, I didn’t let it run that long, but I realized that it was running in the background for a while, so it was going for a half hour or so. no BSOD yet on this startup. I did install a load of the newest drivers from the ASUS site for my mobo.

Waiting for the next BSOD.

Well, it’s very possible that updated motherboard drivers could fix things. What ASUS motherboard is it?

Fingers crossed.

Now that you mention it, I did have similar issues (random BSODs when gaming and transferring files) months ago on my system that I eventually tracked down to a bad SATA cable connecting my SSD to my mobo.

Look in you Event Viewer and check the application and system logs. Looks for errors that reference the device controller, that was what clued me in to the bad cable. Or, save time and effort and simply swap SATA cables if you have a known good spare one lying around.

Hey @JonRowe, if you can’t figure this out I’d be happy to help as I have lots of spare parts. I’m only about a 50 minute drive from you!

Yeah, I might just want to restore windows entirely. I mean, the BSOD I am getting now, after removing the Intel RSTe software is.

KMODE DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL (storport.sys)

I think that the next thing that I am going to do a clean boot, and see if it BSODs

and then, if it is stable, I might just completely reinstall windows. The crashing is pretty regular, like clockwork after about 45-90 minutes, it BSODs and restarts.

Also, I can’t seem to access any dump files at all, no crash data to look over. I think I have everything set up right, but it isn’t logging anything.

It seems like most of the advice here and online is also that it could be RAM, but the fact that the timing of the crash is like clockwork made me suspect overheating, but temps seem fine right now. All the RAM tests I did are good, I am reading a lot of people online saying reinstalling windows did it, (and one person who had an antivirus software causing it)

@Vesper Thanks for the offer, I will keep updating this thread with my progress.

If Vesper has some known good DD3 he can hook you up with, I’d take him up on it just to rule yours out, just sayin’. :-)

I hate system instability problems, though, they’re seriously the worst. I’m so glad I FINALLY figured out what the problem with my system was last December (after 4 freaking years of occasional, inexplicably random BSODs).

Yeah, so… Going on 5 hours no BSOD in safe mode. I am thinking this is a driver issue. I think I am just going to reinstall windows. Happy news, appears this is not hardware. Good thing too, because I have spent quite a bit on Hardware this year. (Engagement ring.) :)

Awesome news!

What sound hardware are you using, onboard Realtek HD? If so, I’ve read that you’re usually safe just installing the latest drivers from Realtek’s site, despite the dire warnings about some tweaking or other that the mobo manufacturer may have done to the hardware and drivers. (Sound is one of the things usually disabled while in safe mode, right?)

And congrats on your engagement!

Rather than refresh, I have updated audio drivers and turned off ESET antivirus, we will see how this looks now.

Still getting the same BSOD

Also, windows can’t find the recovery files, so… hmm

On the windows 10 site, it says I am running an old version of Windows 10… but I have updates on automatic.

Hmm…

I am going to create a system restore DVD and then try to do the “update”.

Weird.

Hmm, weird…

why was I not getting some automatic updates? It seems like it was updating drivers, but not the version of Windows, I was a version or two old. Did a huge windows update. Hopefully this fixes things.

We will see if I get any more BSODs

As I recall, the big Anniversary Edition update to Win10 is being slowly rolled out to consumers as MS opens it up to more and more system configurations based on testing and early rollouts. It could be that your PC wasn’t initially scheduled to receive it.

Yet more reasons that I’m glad I never took advantage of the free upgrade. I’ll upgrade when the thing is fully baked, thanks.

Ummm yeah.

So, still getting the BSOD after the upgrade.

I just did the “refresh”

And, of course, my USB 2.0 ports did not install correctly, nor could windows find the correct drivers. My USB 3.0 drivers were included in the motherboard disc. What a fucking runaround that was to get usb 2.0 to work.

Had to manually find the usb driver in the windows system32 drivers folder,

I found a reddit thread where they had the same issue, said windows doesn’t know where to look for the drivers. Lots of fun trying to navigate the screen with the on-screen keyboard, but I just pointed windows to the usb.inf amd64 folder with the driver in it, and viola! my usb ports work now!

We will see if the crashes continue to occur.