PC diagnosis, please

I’ll have to right-size my upgrade. Well, I won’t HAVE to, but I want to. These days I play through only a couple-few games a year, and I have no urge to play the latest anything. So many games have gone by over the years that seemed interesting that I can easily live off $3 downloads from GOG and Steam the rest of my life without hitting more than a few duds.

So I figure a $100 Nvidia card will be up to whatever I actually want to play. What do y’all think?

You can. It’s easier to just highlight, quote, highlight something else, quote.

If you up your $100 a bit ($130-$150), you can land an Nvidia 1050. It’s middle of the road but will run most things these days.

Sounds good to me! Thanks v. much.

Laptop no on turn.

I’ve never had a PC totally bonk out before; but when press the button to start the gaming laptop, absolutely nothing happens. No lights, no POST, no power.

Tried unhooking the battery, switching chargers, holding down the power button for a few minutes. Any ideas?

You’re sure the charger has power? Maybe it’s a 2-part and one of the cables is loose.

No, i’ve tried two separate chargers with different outlets.

I’ve already got a repair order in - they’re shipping a box - but was hoping there would be some trick i overlooked. I mean this was like on/off, no intermittent overheating or strange behavior warnings. It worked perfect one day, dead the next.

If not the power supply, the port on the motherboard can frequently get a short or open due to wear/tear/flex. Sometimes the circuitry handling power on the main board will fail, capacitors, etc. Depending on the age of your system a board change out can be one of the most expensive repairs.

I’m sending good thoughts your way.

As an example of a common laptop fail, dropping the laptop or bending the power connector in some way while plugged in. A good repair shop can fix the port, but if it’s the board, be prepared for the worst.

Well that was easier than i would have guessed. It was a dead motherboard, but shipped it out on Tuesday and got it back on Monday. $177+60 express shipping. Out of warranty!