PC game developers you don't trust?

Nicely put.

Relying on autosave is like relying on the oil light to tell you when you need an oil change.

Take some responsibility for your actions.

Your not supposed to wait till the light comes on to add/change the oil?

:roll:

Just kidding - my wife on the other hand probably does believe that one

[quote=““Jakub””]

I did. If you had read what I wrote you would have noticed that our second go around cut the autosave crutch out of the equation altogether because it was just too tempting to get lazy every now and then and let the autosave handle things for you.

On our second attempt we fanatically managed a backlog of 25 save files. Why we got a little lax at the end, I do not know. But I do know that some sort of verbal indicator in the game telling us, “Make sure your rested and ready to enter this lair because once you do there’s no turning back,” would have helped avoid the mess we ended up in.

Oh well, Adam Miller made it all right with his modules that are, quite frankly, leaps and bounds more intriguing and professional than the OC.

Paradox, after the appalling train wreck also known as Hearts of Iron.

Acclaim
EA
Sony Online Entertainment
Verant
Shiny/Dave Perry

Taldren.

shitty account lock-up bugs. Their StarTrek Orion Pirates game would crash to desktop frequently, but their servers wouldn’t log you out, nor time you out. So you couldn’t play the game again until the servers were reset. This sometimes took days.

Taldren games just sucked. I mean, Starfleet Command 1 was buggy. Then they came out with 2, which was worse, and played no differently. Who ever decided to make the loadable missions nothing more than compiled C++ DLLs needed to be hit with a heavy stick.

Why all the hate for Shiny? What game have they done that really bit ass besides the Matrix?

I agree, Sacrifice alone is enough to forgive ten poor games.

– Xaroc

I believe they did Messiah too. That game was hyped allot and stunk IMO.

Yup.

That game was hyped allot and stunk IMO.

Yup.

I appreciate the imaginative premise, but Sacrifice managed to both have an imaginative premise AND include a fantastic game along with it. Messiah was just pure frustration. To this day Rune may be the only game where I gave up more quickly (albeit out of boredom rather than frustration). Messiah’s combat was hard as hell to figure out, and the puzzles (both jumping and otherwise) were even worse.

But as Xaroc points out, Sacrifice is pure :D :D :D . I can never write Shiny off because of that great game.

It was touched on a bit but I think it’s not the actual game as much as the damn hype surrounding the game. There is just too much info and it really hurts when the features that are announced initially are nowhere to be found when the release a few years later comes out, or worse, is offered in an expansion pack.

You are all poo-heads. Messiah was fun.

I’d rather stick my hand in a blender than play that crap again.

A little OT but has anyone gotten Sacrifice to run on a Radeon 9500+ without graphical errors? Regardless of which CAT version, I get Z errors at the base of all trees/flora. Very annoying.

I was able to play it fine recently as long as I left it at default graphical levels. If I tried to crank them up it would lag like crazy. I could change the resolution to be higher but not the detail levels. This was with a 9700 pro.

– Xaroc

There are game series I will never touch again (Star Wars titles, Delta Force Titles etc) rather than specific developers and am I the only person other than legions of reviewers that actually liked Black and White? Mind I was sufficiently frustrated with it not to bother getting any of the expansions, and I wont be touching B&WII until a few people I know have it and like it. If there is one thing you can guarantee about the UK gaming press, they will drool like dogs over anything Mr Molyneaux or ID release.

I’m really amused. I’ve written the strategy guides for more than half a dozen of the games listed here. To whit:

HOMAM IV
Icewind Dale II
C&C Tiberian Sun
and the post Tib-Sun Westwood games
Emperor: Battle for Dune
C&C Red Alert 2
C&C Red Alert 2: Yuri’s Revenge
C&C Generals
C&C Generals: Zero Hour

Probably others, too.
So just remember–you play them for fun, I get stuck playing some of these because I have to ('tho I really liked the Red Alert 2 and Emperor titles a lot).