PC Gamer ass whooping

I was just scanning through the Dec issue of PCG when my name on p50 caught my eye. The text below is an excerpt from this thread.

Yes, I’m egotistical, but the fact is I love me more than I love the next jackass standing next to me. When God said love thy neighbor, he didn’t say I should blow him too. As such, I really, truly don’t care much for most people. At all. In fact, I have nothing at stake when it comes to lashing out at idiots who find it necessary to declare open season on me.

And how do they go and sign it? Well, check this out…

Derek Smart, creator of the much-maligned Battlecruiser 3000AD, responding to his critics on www.quartertothree.com

Its like a star caught in the cameras on a bad hair day!

wtf?!? Couldn’t they do something like, oh, I dunno, maybe…

[i]Derek Smart, creator of the Battlecruiser series…[/i]

or maybe

Derek Smart, creator of the Battlecruiser series that launched a thousand screen shots…

or

Derek Smart, creator of the Battlecruiser series and wielder of +10 battle axe and +100 asbestos undies…

or sumthin’!!

Vederman!! This has your fingerprint all over it!!!

Wait’ll I catch the bastard who failed to address me properly, but instead decided to harp on a six year old urban legend. I swear, if you pricks put that in my eulogy, I’m gonna come back from the dead and make you ladies wish you’d played through Silent Hill 2 instead!!

Bastards.

People still read PC Gamer?

Can we charge them for ripping quotes off our message board? By the way Tom, Mark, and Chet (I guess), there has been a revolution and this message board is now run by the masses (not paid for by the masses mind you, just run).

What I wanna know is how the hell you got the Dec. issue already! I’m an advertiser, and I won’t see it for another 2 or 3 weeks! :? :wink:

I dunno. But if anything else, at least now that the masses know where I hang out, they’ll think its cool and maybe bring the babes, boobs and requisite bad behaviour. :D

Its a publicity stunt!!! :lol:

Funny enough, its been sitting here since Monday (probably delivered on Sat, since we didn’t get mail on Monday). I only opened it a few minutes ago to see what all the hullabaloo about the Doom III scoop was. Normally, I wouldn’t have opened it until the growing pile of Nov/Dec issues of over twelve other mags had been read. I’m anal like that and tend to read my mags in the order in which they arrive in my mail box. :D

So far, PCG has quoted Erik and Derek the last two months.

I figure, as long as I continue to be as “clever” as I have been lately, I should make it in in just a few short years.

Except that I decided to let my subscription lapse, so I probably won’t see it.

P.S. Sorry Vede et al., I just don’t play games as much as I used too.

I’ll be quoted someday too. Im gonna make a goofy overly ambitious game in my basement and then force feed it to the market with my own brand of somewhat insane personal advertising.

You know, I read something funny in PCG that only now becomes clear.

Somewhere in there, somebody is talking about something (pretty specific, I know) and he says “the earliest you’re likely to read this is Nov. 9” and I’m thinking, “huh?” (That was my exact thought.)

Then I thought “that’s probably some kind of typo…they probably meant Oct 9.”

(Then I thought, I bet if I don’t stop reading this magazine at the dinner table while the baby is screaming I’m going to be in deep shit, but that’s unrelated.)

But now that I find that I’m on a special list of cool people that get their copy of PCG early, a list that includes Derek, well…maybe I’m not in such a hurry to let my subscription lapse anymore. Maybe I should add a sig that reads “I get PCG a month before everybody else.”

LMAO!!! :lol: I’ll help you design it if you’d like!

LOL @ SpoofyChop

Get your OWN Basement! Besides, I can’t pay you or anything, I am saving up for a fancy ferrari.

Oh crap. Now we’re going to get overrun by former PC Accelerator readers when that issue comes out.

Er, Derek, BC3000AD being “much-maligned” wasn’t an urban legend. A google of comp.sys.ibm.pc.space-sim shows cubic buttloads o’ maligning.

If they’d said:

Derek Smart, Scourge of Soda Machines

…then perhaps you’d have a legit gripe about the urban legend thing. :twisted:

ahahahaha!!! But still, I’d have prefered a nice tagline. Like I said, I feel like I got caught in the cameras on a bad hair day. hehe

Sigh. By self-publishing, I have lost the opportunity to make a name for myself as a game developer by going all Jackie Chan on, say, a Bunn coffeemaker at EA or a tampon dispenser in the ladies’ room at Maxis (no way would I take on a soda machine – I’m just a flyweight).

That’s a pretty funny quote, Derek. It could have been worse. You have said plenty of really, really, [size=6]really[/size] stupid shit they could have printed. :wink:

Oh great another lame-assed issue of PC Gamer is hoisted upon unsuspecting readers.

I am surprised anyone reads this shit for a magazine anymore.

Glad someone agrees with me.

Edit: PA really had it right. Daily Radar employees really did have their heads up their asses. Same with PC Gamer employees. Although, Daily Radar was shitty on a daily basis, whereas PC Gamer is only monthly.

Edit: PA really had it right. Daily Radar employees really did have their heads up their asses. Same with PC Gamer employees. Although, Daily Radar was shitty on a daily basis, whereas PC Gamer is only monthly.[/quote]

Gosh, guys… thanks!

And, Derek, it wasn’t me, bud! Talk to Harms. =)

-Vede

I don’t think that PCG is so bad. The problem is that much of the info is on the net, and there aren’t that many reviews and previews per issue anymore. Plus it’s somewhat outdated by the time you get it.

I liked it better back in the halcyon days of money flying straight into peoples’ pockets of course. Those were the days of 350 page PCG’s. This is probably back before you were even born Vede. (Or at least before you started.) No normal magazine can afford that kind of thickness nowadays.

[EDIT: I should proofread better…I’m never gonna impress PCG enough to get a job editing the table of contents at this rate.]

Kinda OT, but Computer Shopper was freakin’ anorexic last time I saw one compared to the crazy thick tome I bought my 286 from.

I read pc game magazines when they are free at e3, that and the free EGM subscription that won’t QUIT coming no matter what. I just can’t see anyone buying any of them. IMHO it is amazing they exist at all at this point.

Edit: PA really had it right. Daily Radar employees really did have their heads up their asses. Same with PC Gamer employees. Although, Daily Radar was shitty on a daily basis, whereas PC Gamer is only monthly.[/quote]

I actually enjoyed Daily Radar. If memory serves, Mssrs. Chick and Bub were frequent contributors to that site. The tech section with Kevin Rice was my most frequented section (BTW…Mr. Rice has an article in the most recent issue of Computer Games Magazine). I also enjoyed the Gia DeCarlo advice column. I googled her name a few months ago and she is either a stripper in the San Francisco bay area and/or the girlfriend of a mid-tier professional wrestler - I guess either would be a step up from working for a gaming website :D

-DavidCPA